• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X or Y?

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
  • So I did a bet yesterday to get a 3ds and a game, game is definitely gonna be Pokémon. Thing is, X or Y? I have a friend who is shortly getting Y and wants me to get X. Is this a good idea? Or should I get Y? I have a couple of months to decide before getting it but I don't know what's the total difference between them (I know ME's are different) I don't care entirely which one because ignorance is bliss right now, but if this is the wrong place to ask this please move it x.x

Years
  • Okay I should be able to provide some assistance here.

The only major differences between X and Y are the Pokemon obtainable in the game, as well as certain Mega Stones, but other than that there's not much difference. It's all down to which version exclusives you prefer better.

Click here for a list of the version exclusive Pokemon in X and Y: http://www.serebii.net/xy/exclusives.shtml

You can also look up guides like Serebii and such to find out which Mega Stones are obtainable in which game and such, but in the end choose the one that has the exclusives you like better, like what I tend to do, pick my main version based on which exclusives I like best.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your game!

oh and nice Vampire Knight forumset btw, I love Yuuki and Zero!

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2014
    Well... I have chosen Pokemon X for a certain reason. You see, I always play Pokemon with my younger brother. So I purchased X for me because XX means you are a girl and bought him the Y because boys have XY chromosomes :-D

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    The version differences are minimal in this generation. The improved GTS allows you to trade and breed for the version exclusives pretty easily nowadays. The only things that are in limited numbers are the Mega Stones, at least in one playthrough. It won't make a difference anyway once pokecheck will support the 6th gen, but in the moment it is something to consider.

From a competitive point of view: Do you prefer Double Battles or Single Battles? The main attractions are the two Charizard formes. Charizard Y is a metagame defining force in Doubles while Charizard X replaced Salamence as a purely offensive Dracon Dancer in Singles. We recommend you to pick the version exclusive according to your preference.

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • Okay I should be able to provide some assistance here.

The only major differences between X and Y are the Pokemon obtainable in the game, as well as certain Mega Stones, but other than that there's not much difference. It's all down to which version exclusives you prefer better.

Click here for a list of the version exclusive Pokemon in X and Y: http://www.serebii.net/xy/exclusives.shtml

You can also look up guides like Serebii and such to find out which Mega Stones are obtainable in which game and such, but in the end choose the one that has the exclusives you like better, like what I tend to do, pick my main version based on which exclusives I like best.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your game!

oh and nice Vampire Knight forumset btw, I love Yuuki and Zero!
    Thank you and I can't check seribii :/ school wifi. But thanks for the link!

The version differences are minimal in this generation. The improved GTS allows you to trade and breed for the version exclusives pretty easily nowadays. The only things that are in limited numbers are the Mega Stones, at least in one playthrough. It won't make a difference anyway once pokecheck will support the 6th gen, but in the moment it is something to consider.

From a competitive point of view: Do you prefer Double Battles or Single Battles? The main attractions are the two Charizard formes. Charizard Y is a metagame defining force in Doubles while Charizard X replaced Salamence as a purely offensive Dracon Dancer in Singles. We recommend you to pick the version exclusive according to your preference.

I don't exactly battle people but I prefer double battles. And I wouldn't be able to connect to internet to trade but could trade with my friend.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • If you can't connect to the internet to trade, I would advise getting the opposite of your friends (X) so you can get each version exclusive pokemon. The only difference between games is the pokemon and the mega stones that can be found.

Shhmew

Years
  • If you can't connect to the internet to trade, I would advise getting the opposite of your friends (X) so you can get each version exclusive pokemon. The only difference between games is the pokemon and the mega stones that can be found.
    This is probably your best bet, unless you seriously don't care about obtaining the pokemon exclusive to the other version. And if you have access to the internet, the GTS is extremely helpful to obtain things your game can't. Otherwise, there's always the Trading boards here on Pokecommunity [:

Here are the exclusives all in one convenient place.
    Spoiler:

Hope this helps ya :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    One more thing: Unless you have access to Mewtwos of the past generations Mewtwo X is slightly less usable because of the lack of Low Kick and Drain Punch. We tend to recommend Y; there still is another solution, though.

Your friend has Y and you have X. Both of you will play through the game at least twice.
    One of you will transfer the exclusive stones and the box cover monster to the other ones card, then restart the game. Then you will dump all the stuff in the new save, the first one restart the other game, you send the unavailable stuff back. Then you both paly through the game again.
    Profit?

Back