• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Types Issues

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
  • Another issue I've run into: My project adds 17 new types (Types like Fire, Water, Grass, etc) to run alongside the original pokemon types. The reason for this was to prevent breaking things in the internal structure of the scripts, as well as to have Pokemon exist in the project alongside the species which I added in.

For starters, here is the entire type.txt file, the new types fall after Shadow: http://pastebin.com/G3JJeJhN

The issue I've run into is, stuff with Super Effective moves are not hitting for Super Effective, and instead doing neutral damage. For example, I have a copy of Surf running the new type "WATER18", which would be effective against "FIRE18". Upon testing the New Surf against the FIRE18, it didn't hit for Super Effective damage. I also tested things with my new Wonder Guard user, the NATURE18 type. I pit the one with Wonder Guard against a user with FIRE18 moves, and Wonder Guard didn't allow it to hit.

This error is quite hindering my progress on my project, and I would like to know: Is there a way I can fix this? Please respond back as soon as possible.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • I don't see anything wrong with your types.txt, and there's nothing wrong with the scripts. Are you sure your new Surf move had the correct type? Try renaming it to Surf18 to make sure you've got the right move. Also make sure nothing can affect the user's moveset, such as an alternate form.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
  • 656,SURF18,Surf,075,95,WATER18,Special,100,15,0,04,0,bef,Smart,""
    Is the move I tried to use on a "BEAST18" type, which is weak to WATER18
    The type:
    [24]
    Name=Beast
    InternalName=BEAST18
    Resistances=GHOST18,EARTH18
    Weaknesses=FLYING18,FIRE18,WATER18
    The species:
    [601]
    Name=CRin
    InternalName=CRIN
    Type1=BEAST18

My friend had this exact same problem as well, however he modified the existing types.

Maruno

Years
  • Again, are you sure you're using your new Surf18 move, rather than the regular Surf (which would indeed do neutral damage to CRin as you described)?

After editing the PBS files, have you compiled them? You do this by running the game from within RPG Maker XP, or by using the Debug mode option in the Debug menu.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
  • I decided to try a move other than Surf this time, just to be sure I got a move that was special to the kit and not a direct copy. I got the same results.
    I recorded a video as proof of what was going on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb6EU1FrLzI
    Additional info

ARin's Entry:
    [767]
    Name=ARin
    InternalName=ARIN
    Type1=BEAST18
    Type2=FIRE18
    BaseStats=70,90,70,105,120,65
    GenderRate=Female50Percent
    GrowthRate=Medium
    BaseEXP=155
    EffortPoints=0,0,0,0,3,0
    Rareness=45
    Happiness=70
    Compatibility=8,5
    StepsToHatch=3840
    Height=0.8
    Weight=100.0
    Color=Green
    Kind=Kasha
    Pokedex=Placeholder
    Abilities=LIMBER,FLASHFIRE

Aqua Shower's definition:
    922,AQUASHOWER18,Aqua Shower,08B,150,WATER18,Special,100,5,0,04,0,be,Smart,""

Beast18 and Fire18's entries:
    [24]
    Name=Beast
    InternalName=BEAST18
    Resistances=GHOST18,EARTH18
    Weaknesses=FLYING18,FIRE18,WATER18

[28]
    Name=Fire
    InternalName=FIRE18
    Resistances=STEEL18,FIRE18,NATURE18
    Weaknesses=EARTH18,WATER18

Maruno

Years
  • You're right; there is something wrong with Essentials. I spent quite a while researching it, and found out that it's due to a bug in the compiling scripts.

Basically, as it currently works, the game thinks that the lists of weaknesses/resistances/immunities in types.txt use the actual names of the types rather than the internal names. Your new 18-style moves have the effectivenesses of their counterpart regular moves, because they have the same actual name. New types like Beast are neutral to everything, because none of the other types list "Beast"; they list "BEAST18" instead.

It's a rather glaring error, and one I wouldn't have thought existed. It doesn't affect anything normally, but even so it needs to be fixed. Fortunately, that's simple.

In the script section Compiler, go to line 2195 and change the red numbers:
    Code:
          atype=typehash[j]
          if type && atype
            typechart[k]=4 if type[5].include?(atype[[COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR]]) # weakness
            typechart[k]=1 if type[6].include?(atype[[COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR]]) # resistance
            typechart[k]=0 if type[7].include?(atype[[COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR]]) # immune
          end
          j+=1
    Done.

Back