• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arcanine-Typhlosion-Ninetales

Years
  • Okay, so this deck is basically Charizard, sans the Charizard, since I only have one Charizard AR, and I felt it would be better to have a heavy-hitter or two that I actually have multiples of in its place, since I would need to eat up valuable deck space for a Pokemon Rescue if I ran the only Charizard I have.

This deck went 2-3 at a Battle Roads on the 5th, being out-muscled by T-Tar Prime (couldn't get even a single Ninetales up), winning against some low HP Tyrogue deck (almost decked myself because of how much draw power I had going, though), got outpaced by Jumpluff (turn 2 Jumpluff is quite hard to beat, and this guy top cut), then beat a Politoed deck (because Big Chorus isn't as good as some thought it would be), and then was crushed by a Gengar/Garchomp deck (this guy top cut, too).

Personally, I think some of the problems lie between the table and the chair. ;P

Pokemon:
    1x Uxie LA
    1x Baltoy GE
    1x Claydol GE
    2x Growlithe HS
    2x Arcanine HS
    3x Cyndaquil HS
    2x Quilava HS
    3x Typhlsion (Prime) HS
    2x Vulpix HS
    2x Ninetales HS
    1x Nidoran (F) MT
    1x Nidoran (F) RR
    1x Nidorina RR
    2x Nidoqueen RR

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
    2x Super Scoop Up
    2x Night Maintenance
    2x Pokemon Communication
    4x Rare Candy
    1x Fisherman
    1x Engineer's Adjustments
    2x Pokemon Collector
    4x Bebe's Search
    4x Roseanne's Research
    1x Broken Time-Space

Energy:
    1x Psychic Energy
    12x Fire Energy

The idea is to get Ninetales and Typhlosion set up as quickly as possible, and then power up either Nidoqueen or Arcanine, whichever I can get set up first (preferrably Arcanine at first, though, unless I'm at a type disadvantage). Nidoqueen also helps with healing the damage taken by Pokemon because of Typhlosion's Afterburner, too.

I was also testing the worthiness of cards like Pokemon Collector to replace Roseanne's and Bebe's and I think we have the replacements for those two in the game already.

Any feedback on what I should swap out if I do get another Charizard AR or two?

Years
  • IMO, SSU is far to flippy. So if you're using it for Uxie, just run the Psychic Restore route. Ninetales is very good draw power, and i've decked myself many a time running that exact card. And I was running just one!(and a Dol) I'm also not exactly sure how much damage you intend to do with Typhlosion Prime. It does just 70 and you discard an energy from your opponent. 70 ain't bad, but it's sure not game breaking, unless you're planning on the discarded energy disabling your opponent. Arcanine also doesn't seem very necessary. 4 energy for 90 damage is far too much, and 2 for 50, while nice in the begining, ends up being not enough to waste the space on. If you can post a better idea of what you're trying to to with this deck i think i can help you better.

BTW, i'd appreciate your help on my MagLeaf deck. I know it's a good archetype, but i'm at odds with myself on how to make it set up faster, hit harder, etc. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=219907

Years
  • SSU is moreso for emergencies, not for Uxie. I know Uxie's best left for Psychic Restore.

I know the energy discard really helped me against Politoed (and probably would against any deck dependent on DCEs), but I'm thinking finding two of the regular HGSS Typhlosion, dropping one of the Primes, and upping the line to a 4-3-4 setup, with two of each Typhlosion. And I know Arcanine's pretty inefficient, but none of the other Fire-types I have in my collection, other than Charizard, which I only have one of, are heavy hitters that fit this deck. :\

Nidoqueen is a wonder card, honestly, especially in evolution decks. I like it's attacking efficiency.

The idea, if there's a proper Pokemon to sweep through things with, is to be setup for 1HKOs.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Wow X2 ninetales and a claydol? I'm surprised you don't get decked!
    I think there are a couple of things you could do to improve speed here, which I'm assuming is an issue what with three stage 2 evolutions on the bench and two other stage one lines. Maximum BTS is a must, I believe, and I think you will probably end up drawing into a lot of pokemon that you don't need once you get all the lines set up, like extra basics and middle-evolutions, which you can offset with more communication. I'm not sure why you're running 3 typhlosion prime, i'm assuming you only want one on the bench, right? I'd take out two and put an azelf in.

Have you considered a starter like sableye? If you start with it you can get the basic evolutions of all of your techs onto the bench T1 by impersonating a collector, then work on evolving them.

I ran a deck like this but with magmortar instead of arcanine, it negated the effects of afterburner's damage and had a heavy power output. My main issue was speed, it couldn't keep up with SP decks and donphan, so that's what I would work on the most if I were you.

Years
  • Wow X2 ninetales and a claydol? I'm surprised you don't get decked!
    I think there are a couple of things you could do to improve speed here, which I'm assuming is an issue what with three stage 2 evolutions on the bench and two other stage one lines. Maximum BTS is a must, I believe, and I think you will probably end up drawing into a lot of pokemon that you don't need once you get all the lines set up, like extra basics and middle-evolutions, which you can offset with more communication. I'm not sure why you're running 3 typhlosion prime, i'm assuming you only want one on the bench, right? I'd take out two and put an azelf in.

Have you considered a starter like sableye? If you start with it you can get the basic evolutions of all of your techs onto the bench T1 by impersonating a collector, then work on evolving them.

I ran a deck like this but with magmortar instead of arcanine, it negated the effects of afterburner's damage and had a heavy power output. My main issue was speed, it couldn't keep up with SP decks and donphan, so that's what I would work on the most if I were you.

I don't like BTS because it helps out BOTH players far too much, which is why I usually run only 1.

And the 3 for the Prime is to help build up faster, but I think I'd need 2 at most.

Which Azelf? The LA one?

I would look at Sableye if I had one in my collection. :(

And, yes, speed is an issue.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Yeah the LA one! You don't have that in your metagame??
    And I think you really could do with only one typh prime, considering the bebe's and communications you already have, plus if you added the other two communications and maybe a luxury ball, it's totally plausible. A deck like this with so much drawing power will clutter your hand pretty fast, and you want to be able to trade some of that stuff for things in your deck instead of just slowly drawing your whole deck into your hand however it comes.
    I know BTS helps out your opponent too, but what if you run into a trainer-lock like spiritomb? No rare candy :(
    Sableye is amazing in any deck, I'm beginning to realize. If you don't own any then there's not much you can do about that, but if you run into any I would definitely pick them up, or look at trading for some. If I rebuilt magmortar I would include sableye probably, it makes you donk-proof and you can run less basics of everything because you're guaranteed to get them T1.

Years
  • Yeah the LA one! You don't have that in your metagame??
    And I think you really could do with only one typh prime, considering the bebe's and communications you already have, plus if you added the other two communications and maybe a luxury ball, it's totally plausible. A deck like this with so much drawing power will clutter your hand pretty fast, and you want to be able to trade some of that stuff for things in your deck instead of just slowly drawing your whole deck into your hand however it comes.
    I know BTS helps out your opponent too, but what if you run into a trainer-lock like spiritomb? No rare candy :(
    Sableye is amazing in any deck, I'm beginning to realize. If you don't own any then there's not much you can do about that, but if you run into any I would definitely pick them up, or look at trading for some. If I rebuilt magmortar I would include sableye probably, it makes you donk-proof and you can run less basics of everything because you're guaranteed to get them T1.

Azelf is rare to see (plus, there's multiple versions of this pixie that are competent), trainer-lock is usually just a tech added in, and Sableye isn't used as often as it should be around here.

I may look at either acquiring more of the normal HGSS Typhlosion, since it can hit pretty hard, or one more Charizard. I know Arcanine would be gone if I had better fire-type heavy hitters.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Lol well, I guess I'm advising you according to my own metagame :P LA azelf is a must-have around here, and it's rare to see a game where one player doesn't have either a spritomb or sableye start, myself included (obviously, because I run gyarados).
    I totally agree with the arcanine switch, I would put anything other than that in there, other than the SV one of course... what a horrible card...
    Anyway, there must be something more damaging than arcanine HGSS that you own. Even the regular HGSS typhlosion is far better, and running that would mean fewer evolution lines. How many do you have?

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Aww! Well they can't be that hard to get ahold of, do you ever have the opportunity to trade or buy singles?

Years
  • Aww! Well they can't be that hard to get ahold of, do you ever have the opportunity to trade or buy singles?

Buying in person is difficult around here, as most stores don't have singles, and they have "no selling" policies in place.

I could trade, but I would have to travel pretty far to meet up with the area's major trader. And I'd have to travel just as far to my league to trade. I probably won't be able to make it there again until July.

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
    Years
  • Pokemon:
    4x Spiritomb AR
    2x Growlithe HS
    2x Arcanine HS
    3x Cyndaquil HS
    2x Quilava HS
    3x Typhlsion (Prime) HS
    2x Vulpix HS
    2x Ninetales HS
    1x Unown Q
    1x Nidoran RR
    1x Nidoqueen RR
    1x Azelf LA

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
    2x Super Scoop Up
    2x Night Maintenance
    3x Pokemon Communication
    3x Rare Candy
    2x Fisherman
    1x Engineer's Adjustments
    2x Pokemon Collector
    2x Bebe's Search
    4x Roseanne's Research
    3x Broken Time-Space

Energy:
    9x Fire Energy
    3x Call Energy

Spiritomb can help you evolve your Pokemon quickly, and you can trainer lock your opponent too if your opponent plays a deck like SP or Jumpluff, which slows them down.

More Broken Time-Space for faster set-up, Call Energy to provide consistency.

I'm testing this deck right now to see if it works ^^

Last edited:

pkmntrainerpaul

Years
  • I think you can add Charizard, but your deck will be slower since it has 3 stage-2 lines, and because you've got problems with the speed, I recommend Arcanine since it can deal a nice amount of damage too and is much easier too set-up.

But Charizard can work fine too, because of the 4 Spiritomb.....

Years
  • I've also contemplated using Energy gain or making the Typhlosion line a 4-3-4 by dropping one Typhlosion Prime and adding in 2 of the HGSS normal Typhlosion since it's got a couple hard-hitting attacks for less energy than Arcanine.

And, since it's mostly a monotype deck, Charizard AR works pretty well. Nidoqueen's kinda just there because of Maternal Comfort and it's efficient in its own right.

pkmntrainerpaul

Years
  • I've also contemplated using Energy gain or making the Typhlosion line a 4-3-4 by dropping one Typhlosion Prime and adding in 2 of the HGSS normal Typhlosion since it's got a couple hard-hitting attacks for less energy than Arcanine.

And, since it's mostly a monotype deck, Charizard AR works pretty well. Nidoqueen's kinda just there because of Maternal Comfort and it's efficient in its own right.

Why did you contemplate using Energy Gain?

Back