• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle✓] RBY Hyper Beam's Effect on FireRed

Years
  • I was wondering if something like that was ever made, or even possible. Most of the rombases I found brings elements from further generations to FR, such as abilities, pok?mons and types. In this case, I'm searching for exactly the opposite: inserting elements from previous generations on FireRed.

That said, RBY Hyper Beam's mechanics are different. You do not need to recharge when Hyper Beam KOes a foe or breaks a Substitute. This effect turns Hyper Beam (and all other moves with its effect) into a high risk-high reward execution move.

That said, is it possible to edit Hyper Beam's effect to skip recharge turn if it KOes a pok?mon? Have anybody ever made it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Why would you want this?

I think that issue with it in the original games wasn't intentional, and was yet another programming issue with the games. Let's be honest, they had a lot.

The fact that this was remedied in later games and never reverted proves to me that was the original intent of the move. And it makes sense to me. To use a recharging move that doesn't recharge is just an exploit, not strategy.

So I wouldn't bank on another broken Gen 1 mechanic being implemented in any hacks.

If you just gotta use Hyper Beam (or Giga Impact) with no real 'downsides', the best you're going to get is putting it on a Slaking or using it as a match finisher.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Why would you want this?

I think that issue with it in the original games wasn't intentional, and was yet another programming issue with the games. Let's be honest, they had a lot.

The fact that this was remedied in later games and never reverted proves to me that was the original intent of the move. And it makes sense to me. To use a recharging move that doesn't recharge is just an exploit, not strategy.

So I wouldn't bank on another broken Gen 1 mechanic being implemented in any hacks.

If you just gotta use Hyper Beam (or Giga Impact) with no real 'downsides', the best you're going to get is putting it on a Slaking or using it as a match finisher.

I know that Generation 1 has a lot of issues. Desyncs, eternal freezes, lack of moves of certain types (such as Bug, Ghost, Dragon, Fighting), Psychic and Normal-types high dominance, critical hits everywhere... despite I like to play RBY OU on PS, I know it is gamebreaking.

However, RBY Hyper Beam's "mechanics" creates an interesting meta game. I mean, Hyper Beam is almost useless in most generations, while that's not true on generation 1. While you can actually use Hyper Beam to KO pok?mons without downsides, it won't be great to the Hyper Beam user if the opponent switches to a counter.

That said, RBY HB is not an spammable move that you can just use to finish up every healthy team, it requires some strategy to work. A recharge turn is still necessary when you don't KO the opponent. Also, in FireRed it doesn't have the broken critical hit rates from generation 1.

Answering your question: I'd want RBY Hyper Beam in FireRed because I like how Hyper Beam works on generation 1, and I like many things from FireRed (abilities, new moves, items...). I think it would be interesting to see RBY HB working in this generation.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Are you skilled in hacks? Why not make it? I don't think anyone else has even thought about that move in particular.

Years
  • Are you skilled in hacks? Why not make it? I don't think anyone else has even thought about that move in particular.

Nope, I am not. I know basic things, such as editing stuff with PGE/Advance Map, editing stuff with hexedit and even inserting ASM routines, but that's all.

That's why I'm asking if anyone has done such things, so I could learn from it. Though I'm assuming that's not the case, because most rom hackers doesn't seem to be interested in bringing back past generation mechanics (which is perfectly understandable).

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
    Years
  • It's actually very simple to do the faint check in FR. Just insert this battle script.
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x900000
    #org 0x1D732F
    goto @New

#org @New
    attackcanceler
    accuracycheck 0x81D695E 0x0
    attackstring
    ppreduce
    calculatedamage
    attackanimation
    waitanimation
    missmessage
    cmd5c 0x0
    waitstate
    graphicalhpupdate 0x0
    datahpupdate 0x0
    critmessage
    waitmessage 0x40
    resultmessage
    waitmessage 0x40
    jumpiffainted 0x0 0x81D6947
    jumpifsecondarystatus 0x0 0x1000000 0x81D6947
    setbyte 0x2023E85 0xDD
    seteffectwithchancetarget
    goto 0x81D6947
    It makes it so if the opponent is behind a substitute or is knocked out there will be no recharge turn.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's actually very simple to do the faint check in FR. Just insert this battle script.
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x900000
    #org 0x1D732F
    goto @New

#org @New
    attackcanceler
    accuracycheck 0x81D695E 0x0
    attackstring
    ppreduce
    calculatedamage
    attackanimation
    waitanimation
    missmessage
    cmd5c 0x0
    waitstate
    graphicalhpupdate 0x0
    datahpupdate 0x0
    critmessage
    waitmessage 0x40
    resultmessage
    waitmessage 0x40
    jumpiffainted 0x0 0x81D694E
    jumpifsecondarystatus 0x0 0x1000000 0x81D694E
    setbyte 0x2023E85 0xDD
    seteffectwithchancetarget
    goto 0x81D694E
    It makes it so if the opponent is behind a substitute or is knocked out there will be no recharge turn.

First, thank you!

Second, it almost worked. Yeah, Hyper Beam (and all moves with its effect) works fine, the recharge turn is skipped when Hyper Beam koes the foe (I haven't tested with sub, however).

However, some glitches happened:

1) When you use Hyper Beam and KO the foe, the enemy's pok?mon will not fade. Just like the images below. However, the sprites of KOed pok?mon will fade when you access Bag/Pok?mon Menus.

Image 1: Right after the pok?mon was KOed by Hyper Beam
    Spoiler:

Image 2: After Lance sent out his Dragonite.
    Spoiler:

2) When the foe KOes your pok?mon with Hyper Beam, the sprites will fade (because you're forced to open the Pok?mon Menu). However, the game will say that "The NPC is about to use <The Pok?mon you choose>", and you'll be able to choose another pok?mon. Take a look on image 3:

Spoiler:

NOTE: I used Battle Script Pro to insert the script.

Last edited:
    Back