• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen A New Land, the Kalos Region

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
They're very similarly structured with the rivers running through several areas of the region, it's certainly the smallest region out of them all.

Kalos-region-map-610x399.jpg
fr-map.gif

On the contrary, I'd say it's the biggest region, whilst the first 4 regions were based on small areas of Japan, and Unova was based only on the New York area, Kalos here is the top 2 3rds of France, that's bigger than any previous region, plus, the region has to be huge, considering it requires the Pokedex to record 3 different areas.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
the region has to be huge, considering it requires the Pokedex to record 3 different areas.

This does not necessarily mean the region is going to be huge. Maybe it's just a feature to organize the Pokedex better?
But i do think it's going to be a pretty big region, just look how much sutff there is to see and explore

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I could be wrong with on the regional map it having a blue roof, but where you've labelled the starting town, the building in front with the blue roof looks similar to that castle we saw from the initial trailer.

img_thumbnail_4.png

This is what I thought as well. Perhaps they're switching it up this gen? Not starting in a town, but something else (castle?)

I feel the region is going to be big. I'm not sure if it's bigger than Unova though? Unova seems a little more spread out, while Kalos seems bunched up a bit more, while still being relatively large.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
STONEHENGE!!! If you look on the map to the far left of the region, you'll notice a group of large rocks the oddly resembles the Stonehenge monument in England.

Good evidence that parts of this region will have other influences from Europe and not just France.

Actually I believe the entire region is based off of France, even the icy mountain at the top right that looks like it should be located in Belgium or Germany when comparing to a real map. (I am certain that icy mountain is based off one of the French Alpes, by the way.)

The place with stones is based off of a commune called 'Carnac' in France. Look it up on google maps, they are placed almost in the exact same spot. Carnac is renowned for it's 'Carnac stones' or rather menhirs (standing stones) surrounding in all sorts of different formations around the area.

As for the few islands to the top left, I believe those are based off the Channel Islands.

Obviously Lumiose City is based off Paris. Not sure about the rest, I have some ideas but they aren't concrete ones.

I guess it doesn't really matter what's based off of what. I just think it's cool to know the back story to it all. Sorry for getting carried away xD

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
100% France. The fact that the water starter is a frog is too funny, too! lol

Overall, it's gorgeous. I love the rivers, the mountains, the lakes. I prefer being forced into caves and forests than to have them as sidequests... I always hope they're long and challenging, like Mt. Moon was way back in the day, or Dark Cave.

I find Unova's caves were too short and brief. Some were even optional. Kalos looks very promising. Favourite game every yet-to-come? Maybe...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
This is what I thought as well. Perhaps they're switching it up this gen? Not starting in a town, but something else (castle?)

I feel the region is going to be big. I'm not sure if it's bigger than Unova though? Unova seems a little more spread out, while Kalos seems bunched up a bit more, while still being relatively large.
I think the region is actually going to be bigger than Unova. Looking back at Unova's map it looks zoomed in (actually Unova seems sort of empty compared to Kalos). Also France is larger than the New York area so I feel like it should be bigger xD

Guy

just a guy
Years
Actually I believe the entire region is based off of France, even the icy mountain at the top right that looks like it should be located in Belgium or Germany when comparing to a real map. (I am certain that icy mountain is based off one of the French Alpes, by the way.)

The place with stones is based off of a commune called 'Carnac' in France. Look it up on google maps, they are placed almost in the exact same spot. Carnac is renowned for it's 'Carnac stones' or rather menhirs (standing stones) surrounding in all sorts of different formations around the area.

As for the few islands to the top left, I believe those are based off the Channel Islands.

Obviously Lumiose City is based off Paris. Not sure about the rest, I have some ideas but they aren't concrete ones.

I guess it doesn't really matter what's based off of what. I just think it's cool to know the back story to it all. Sorry for getting carried away xD
The region is definitely based off of France. However, I think the row of rocks are what looks more like the Carnac Stones. However, the circular formation after that definitely looks like an imitation of Stonehenge.

The size of the region being in question, I think it's a fairly large region. A lot of the towns and cities are very spaced out and scattered around the region which makes it not one linear line like Unova was. So I feel like there's more room to travel here.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Just from the general overview of the map it definitely seems like a bigger region. I don't know how well that will transfer in-game though, as the Routes can't be ridiculously long, as that would probably make the games much more difficult for people. They could put a healer in a house somewhere, but that's usually saved for one longer Route in most of the games.

If they can make the region seem bigger without upping the difficulty too much for the younger fanbase of the games I think I'd be one happy camper.

Years
I don't know how I feel about the region, to be honest!
That map artwork is just.. really, really weird. Different, and weird. I mean from that viewpoint it looks like it's zoomed in a bit compared to the likes of the Unova map, but the towns and cities still seem very small.

Weird map artwork aside, I still can't wait to explore this new region (and no, I don't doubt it's based on France :P). That area towards the north-east of the map, is that snow/ice? That's pretty cool. Otherwise it's hard to tell from the artwork (sorry, it's just too different, I can't look at it properly!). That round obviously-it's-a-city in the middle of the map is Lumiose city, and I guess we can assume most of the 'fancy' camera work in the overworld (much like Castelia City's/Skyarrow Bridge's) will take place, because it's ROUND.

In summary: don't like the map artwork, do like the region a lot and the fact that it's obviously based on a country.

Years
I just spotted something in the trailer. you can see the girl leaving the town off of route 3 and it looks like she is going into that garden area on the map. so we can assume we start somewhere near there?

iTeruri

iAm
Years
That map is wrong, though. Kalos is the top third of France, and the massif central is in the south of France, below the cut of point. The pyrenees are between France and Spain, nowhere near Brittany.

The Kalos region is obviously inspired by France, with Paris, Birttany, Normandy and Mont Saint-Michel as very obvious clues, but it's still a fictional region, so the thing won't match 100% with France.

gold/silverFTW

Ecruteak Champion
Years
That port town near the power plant-ish area seems to be based off of La Havre, which is a maritime city, and it lies around the same location as the port town in Kalos. There is a park of some sort right next to La Havre and Paris so Idk what it actually is. Could be like the power plant in Kalos. I do see the Carnac Stones, and the Eiffel Tower. But, where is Mont Saint-Michel, or the D-day Beaches, the Château de Chambord, the Arc de Triomphe?

darkslizer

Knight of Life
Years
This isn't based off of France. It IS France. The mountain ranges line up, it is the same shape as the country, and it has a freaking EISFLE TOWER IN IT! (I hope I spelled that right. I'm not good at French.)

gold/silverFTW

Ecruteak Champion
Years
This isn't based off of France. It IS France. The mountain ranges line up, it is the same shape as the country, and it has a freaking EISFLE TOWER IN IT! (I hope I spelled that right. I'm not good at French.)

Lol, it is not France, it is Kalos, which is a region based off of France. In French it is named "la tour Eiffel".

Back