• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Battlefront

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    So I've always wanted a pokemon game to be a bit more towards reality when it comes to politics and maturity, failing to see that in almost any game, I have set out to make one. In my version you are part of the military in a country who is plagued by wars on two fronts. Your mission is to build the first ever pokemon military force and help end the wars. Luckly you arn't alone and as your missions progress you command a larger force of soldiers.

attachment.php

Pokemon: Battlefront

Developer: Wylie Capp aka Dolarmak
    Engine: RPGMakerXP with Pokemon Essentials

Plot
    Welcome soldier, Your mission is to start a new pokemon division of the Estilian Defence Force. Now this sort of thing has never been done, so we're looking forward to your sucess in future missions.

The neighbouring countries, the Edo Empire and the Perussian Empire both threaten our great land Estilia. Both sides have cause problems but until recently we've met with mixed results, neither gaining nor losing any ground. Luckily for us neither empire is focused entirely on us. Edo has started skirmishes with the Republic of Tamlen and the Perussians have significant resources focused on the United Kingdoms of Sondo. We are counting on you to tip the scale.

Lets not forget that politics play a part in ever soldiers life whether we like it or not, but it is how a soldier deals with them that makes the difference.

Starters
    You get a choice of any Gen 1-4 starter.

Missions
    Unlike other open world pokemon games (though I hesitate to really call them open world, since they are quite linear) you have a series of mission to complete. You usually get to chose between 2 missions at a time, but you will need to complete all of them in order to progress. Each mission is location specific, but after the mission is over you get some R&R to battle trainers near the locations of the bases you're training at. Instead of Gym badges you earn Medals of Honour which work the same way and the different HMs will help complete the different missions and open up secret areas. Unfortunately you will some times need to chose between missions before getting a specific HM, which means you will ultimately miss out on some stuff until the end of the game.

Pokemon Tournaments
    After you finish the main section of the game, the entire world opens up. First the country of Estilia has a National pokemon Tournament, and after an International Tournament is opened and you can move through the whole world.

Pokemon
    All pokemon up to Gen4 will be catchable (even the startes can be found), but most won't be available until you have reached the International Tournament. As usual you will have access to about 150 pokemon by the end of the main set of missions.

Pokemon Battles
    Pokemon fights will be as they are, pokemon fights.

Skirmishes
    Skirmishes will happen during your mission, enemy soldier do carry guns and will use them when in the open field of battle.
    The basic system will require timed movements and shots on the run while making in closer under cover to the enemy. The further you are from them the less of a chance to hit you will have, but lucky shots can happen.

World
    The world consists of 1 contenant and a few islands. Within this contenant there are 5 countries, the Dominion of Estilia (home country), Udo Empire, Perussian Empire, the Republic of Tamlen and the United Kingdoms of Sondo. There are tons of hidden and secret places through out the world.

attachment.php

Green= Military Base
    Red= Estilian Town w/ Gym
    Purple= Town w/ International Gym
    Blue= Town

Badges
    There are 3 sets of Badges. Military Medals, National Tournament Badges and International Tournament Badges.

Military Badges are the ones which grant HM use and lvl limits.
    National and International Tournament Badges only gain access to their respective Elite Four and Champion.

Pictures

Attachments

• Map.jpg
      Map.jpg
      82 KB · Views: 143
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    As I said, pictures were to come.

These are the main characters. Male and Female players, your CO - Corps General Oberman (top) and your rivals Diana Towers (bottom left) and Dominick Fars (bottom right).

All characters are my own and I custom made them for the game including the sprite graphics.

Attachments

• poster.jpg
      poster.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 166
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    Oh i totally forgot to add that.

Starters are all the gen 1-4 starters lol
    You can chose from any of the 12. I didn't do gen 5 cause pokemon essentials i have doesnt have them lol.

I guess i should post a bit more about the game. I've updated the main entry.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
    Years
  • Dude on top doesn't look like a pokémon trainer sprite. If it's not meant to, I suggest you make him obviously bigger so as not to cause confusion.
    Chick on the left is clearly lifted from the female rocket grunt (was it Rocket or one of the other teams?)
    Female sprite (purple one) has a male body.

In all, those sprites need a slight clean-up.

No comment to the main post.

As to the map, northern half of Udo is clearly lifted directly from Hoenn. Middle area of Estilia looks like it's been lifted from Johto (with Marse being the Lake of Rage). Place with the Zeta base, north of Petrussia, looks very similar to the resort/survival/battle area island thing from Sinnoh.

Town names look like they've been pulled directly out of a new word generator. Cliché fantasy names, basically, but in Pokémon. Pokémon town names usually follow a theme, quite often plant-based, or related to the area/gym leader there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    tekniko: Yeah I'm using RPGMaker XP with the latest version of Pokemon Essentials. It gets the job done and I know RMXP cause i've made other games with it and it's predecessors.

cruciFICTION
    : Please don't hold my game to the childish generic standards of the orignal games. Juse because they used a generic mold to make their games doesn't mean mine can't be more dynamic.

The names I randomly thought up without a generator, and each country has an actual theme. Just because your don't notice the russian, slavik or spanish sounding names (they arn't real names, just sounding) doesn't mean there isn't a theme.
    Unless you know a better way to name 36 towns and 19 military bases without ripping the names from every famous place you know or have them as generic as the orignal games did. You clearly never had to name anything within a story before have you?

Just so you know the map is orignal. I did use the style of the old map but didn't rip anything except the purple and blue lines that represent the water and the little dots the represent the towns. The way the mountains, islands and water are is just laid out as was needed to seperate the lower countries by water.

The sprites can use a bit of work, the big guy at top is the general that you meet at the begining of the game (proffessor oak starter guy) and though he will be a trainer later it was just a place holder for now, He has a lot of work to be done on. Most were ripped but with over 70%-90% being redone, mostly just the face and pokeball or hands are left of the orignal now.
    The purple chick has a female body i think you need your eyes checked.

Finally I'd like to say to you that I'm really disapointed with your criticism. Aside from mocking my graphics and the names of places you said nothing about the concept or ingame ideas. In the future constructive criticism would be nice rather than simply blasting people for not being enough like the orignal games.

Isom

Kari Byron is still my lady.
    Years
  • I honestly love the concept of this! I'm a huge fan of realism in games and nothing 'pokemon related' hits closer than war. Seems like RISK with pokemon and I don't care who you are - that sounds interesting. When can we expect to some in-game screens?

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
    Years
  • Okay, calm down. It was, in fact, constructive, and was not "blasting" your graphics. I stated that the sprites are all a little bit rough. Were I to be "blasting" you, I'd be telling you to just give up or something stupid like that.
    cruciFICTION: Please don't hold my game to the childish generic standards of the orignal games. Juse because they used a generic mold to make their games doesn't mean mine can't be more dynamic. What I said had nothing to with childish standards or generic molds. It had to do with Pokémon. If you want to make a Pokémon, there's a few things you need. The sprites are a tad bit rough. That's not an insult. It's an observation, and it's childish of you to defend them when you should be working at them to make them better.

The names I randomly thought up without a generator, and each country has an actual theme. Just because your don't notice the russian, slavik or spanish sounding names (they arn't real names, just sounding) doesn't mean there isn't a theme.
    Unless you know a better way to name 36 towns and 19 military bases without ripping the names from every famous place you know or have them as generic as the orignal games did. You clearly never had to name anything within a story before have you?
    Don't be rude. I'm a writer. I name things all the time. And I've read a good few hundred fantasy stories. Now, I wasn't implying that you DID use a generator. I'm saying that the names look as though they were created by a generator. One thing I've noticed in fantasy stories is the near-constant low quality of town names and place names. Nearly all fantasy place names have the same sound.
    Now, I do actually have a better way to name towns. See, I think of geographical features, or of the theme I want. Towns near mountains are called things like "Mount <name>". In real life, towns are named after people and geographical locations, even in other languages. By creating a bunch of names that just SOUND Spanish or Slavic, you're not actually giving them any meaning. If you want names that sound those ways, spend an hour on Google Translate with a list of words and put a few together.

Just so you know the map is orignal. I did use the style of the old map but didn't rip anything except the purple and blue lines that represent the water and the little dots the represent the towns. The way the mountains, islands and water are is just laid out as was needed to seperate the lower countries by water.
    Sure the map's original. So how do you explain why those routes are in the exact (and I mean exact) same shape as Hoenn locations and Johto locations?

The sprites can use a bit of work, the big guy at top is the general that you meet at the begining of the game (proffessor oak starter guy) and though he will be a trainer later it was just a place holder for now, He has a lot of work to be done on. Most were ripped but with over 70%-90% being redone, mostly just the face and pokeball or hands are left of the orignal now.
    The purple chick has a female body i think you need your eyes checked.

Finally I'd like to say to you that I'm really disapointed with your criticism. Aside from mocking my graphics and the names of places you said nothing about the concept or ingame ideas. In the future constructive criticism would be nice rather than simply blasting people for not being enough like the orignal games.
    My job isn't to be nice to you. It's to help you. If you don't like the way I dish it out, then don't bother taking it. I pointed out flaws because they were apparent to me.
    I didn't comment on the concept or ideas because I have no issue with them, and it's not my job to validate you. If you like the ideas, do them. I'm not going to sit here and waste time telling you how great the ideas are. That's just going to inflate your ego when the truth is that you've got work ahead of you.
    Again, that's not an insult. It's an observation.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    Isom: Thanks, It wil be a little while before i get shots up, I don't have much for the maps done yet.

cruciFICTION: Your argument on names is pointless because in a fictional world the fictional characters whom you name your fictional town after are just as fictional. How does naming it after real people make it seem more real when our universe and the story universe have nothing to do with each other? Who cares if the name doesn't sound like its a real place from your or my country; cause it isn't real.
    Just curious, how can you tell a town name is low quality? You do realize that before people had names, when it was clear that names were needed that didn't specifically point out ones occupation becuase there were too many of them (like farmer) they just made them up. They decided that "Oh I like the sound of...bob" and kept the name.

I don't know what you are smoking to make you see johto or hoenn on my map, but mine is orignal. Just so you know there are only so many loops you can make before something looks simular, especially on a small grid map. I did look at the maps just to see if they were simular after you said it, and I still can't see what you see.

Lastly I just would like to clairify for you the difference between constructive criticism and flaming.
    Constructive Criticism is the observation of flaws in something with the added advice on how one might improve that thing.
    Flaming is just saying it's bad without advice or reason.

You are flaming my work. Simply saying that you are not meaning to insult me doesn't mean anything. I can be polite too when telling people to piss off. So unless you have advice on how I might fix these problems (which I don't think they are) please bugger off.

Back