• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] The Fairy Nature, a Hidden meaning

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
(Warning Speculation ahead)

The Fairy nature may seem odd, with what it's super effective against, and what's super effective against it, but it may hold a deeper meaning that you think.

First of all, it's super effective against Dragon, Fighting, and Dark, it eliminates things that are evil (or are generally frowned upon in pokemon, fighting aka war) . Making the fairy type the quintessence of all things good.

Then, what's super effective against it, Metal, and Poison, seems a bit random.Yet, when you think about it, these are the only two elements that are man made and linked to pollution. Metal, in it's refined form as shown in pokemon, is entirely man made; and poison Pokemon are very often shown as a result man, or pollution (See Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Wheezing, Trubbish, and Garbador). The pollution and man, eliminated the fairy, again, the quintessence of all things good.

Nintendo just slipped in an anti-pollution message into an entire type of pokemon.

Well played.

(This may have been posted in the wrong place, but I thought it fit here best considering fairy type was introduced during this region.)

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
The Fairy typing and its dynamics amongst the other types should be fairly evident to those with a minimally decent level of education and world knowledge.

The only ones I can think of who would have issue with it are pubescent and prone to hormone-induced emotional swings, who can't stand the idea of their mighty "badass" supermonsterdemons succumbing to the namby-pamby forces of "good".

Anyways, you pretty much hit the mark. Their weaknesses also have root in the various mythologies which feature fae creatures.

Deathshot

Unregistered User
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 20, 2019
Interesting hypothesis. I love things such as this and it does fit well. Hmm... I may have to look more into this. Most of the stuff in Pokemon comes from some sort of mythology or something. I have been looking for something that is of a Dragon being defeated by a fairy.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Well the one big problem with that is that poison is not, in fact, man made. Most poisons in the world are either directly from plant life or derived from a naturally occurring organism. In addition, how much pollution is from Oil? (a naturally occuring substance form the decaying remains of prehistoric animals and plants) and from radiation? (radioactive isotopes are also naturally occuring elements, for the most part) and furthermore to whoever said the typing should be "fairly evident to those with a minimally decent level of education and world knowledge" you REALLY need to google Fairies and the actual origin of them because you are not, ironically, educated on them at all. They are most certainly not the crusader's for nature and pretty things like Disney or modern culture protrays them as, they are evil little monsters that do horrible things, historically. If you don't want to do the atual research yourself, then the movie "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" is a much better representation of the historically accurate myth of the fairies (Monsters that steal children and eat their bones) than Tinkerbell. (although like any movie, stuff is changed from the mythology to fit in better with the movie)

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
Well the one big problem with that is that poison is not, in fact, man made. Most poisons in the world are either directly from plant life or derived from a naturally occurring organism. In addition, how much pollution is from Oil? (a naturally occuring substance form the decaying remains of prehistoric animals and plants) and from radiation? (radioactive isotopes are also naturally occuring elements, for the most part) and furthermore to whoever said the typing should be "fairly evident to those with a minimally decent level of education and world knowledge" you REALLY need to google Fairies and the actual origin of them because you are not, ironically, educated on them at all. They are most certainly not the crusader's for nature and pretty things like Disney or modern culture protrays them as, they are evil little monsters that do horrible things, historically. If you don't want to do the atual research yourself, then the movie "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" is a much better representation of the historically accurate myth of the fairies (Monsters that steal children and eat their bones) than Tinkerbell. (although like any movie, stuff is changed from the mythology to fit in better with the movie)

Oil does massive damage to ecosystems due to it's toxic nature and it's innability to be broken down by organisms despite the fact that it's naturally "occuring".

The Fairy typing and its dynamics amongst the other types should be fairly evident to those with a minimally decent level of education and world knowledge.

The only ones I can think of who would have issue with it are pubescent and prone to hormone-induced emotional swings, who can't stand the idea of their mighty "badass" supermonsterdemons succumbing to the namby-pamby forces of "good".

Anyways, you pretty much hit the mark. Their weaknesses also have root in the various mythologies which feature fae creatures.

Yeah I pretty much agree, though some are more obscure than others. Like Bug>Fighting, or Ice<Ground (Unless they know about the ground freezing, then unfreezing causing cracks and such.) Or the mystifying Fighting>Steel, why on earth would fighting be super effective on steel?

Last edited by a moderator:

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years

I am well aware of that. And in lots of European folklore, iron was a good way to ward them off- hence the Steel weakness.

But not all fae creatures were the evil bastards that you describe- many simply having a fondness for mischief. And some did indeed do good, if they ever felt like it.

Buncha mini-Deadpools, pretty much.

And you ignore that the games are made by the Japanese, who- while not having any direct equivalent for western fairies- could easily have just mixed and matched the Disney interpretations (and most likely did) during the creative process.

As for the pollutants- while there are naturally occurring substances- a large amount of them are exacerbated by our use of them i.e. made much worse after we've run them through our machines and whatnot. Uranium doesn't do much harm until after it's been refined and used up for nuclear reactors, for example.

Last edited:

Elements1

Meh
Years

Adding to what PumpJack said, the problem with this is that Pokemon is geared toward children, and fariy's to children are cute little flying humans that are magic. Therefore the real historical fairy's would not be part of the creation of the fairy type, therefore hiff8 theory still stands. Anyway interesting stuff!! :)

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
Years
Someone said to me that dragons are only defeated in fairy tales. and that's why it's a fairy type

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Well, in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, the heroine fares well until she is poisoned 8) In Sleeping Beauty, the princess is poisoned (sedated?). Etc etc. I think the baseline inspiration for the Fairy type is creatures from fairytales, so it makes sense that Poison should be a weakness, as it's often been in the tales.

EDIT: I just accidentally closed this thread. What the muk.

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
At it's core Pokemon is an RPG and sometimes you have to take lore from mystical and mythical things to make sense of it all. Think about it. Dragon's can only be hurt with Magic. Faries are magic. You can't really punch a fairy and since faires are light they beat dark and fighting. In ancient lore magical beings (faires and the like) are harmed by iron and metals that contain the mineral. And poisoning their lands will kill them off. So all in all it makes sense. Now that we have fairy typing I don't see them making any more new types. (at least for a while)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Or fairy-type matchups could exist solely to balance the game by giving OP offensive types like dragon, dark, and fighting a new disadvantage and giving underpowered offensive types like poison and steel a new advantage.

The fact that these matchups just happen to line up with the established folklore surrounding mythological faeries is little more than Game Freak choosing the best possible label for the new type. XD

Back