• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BMF's Pixels! Yay!

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
Well, I kinda disappeared off this place for a while. I've been spriting every now and again in the Gen III style and have a bit of a fakedex going.

OLD:
Spoiler:

NEW:
Spoiler:

Cool, yeah? Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

I'll try to get some more stuff up later on.

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Not bad, but you have room for improvement. Before I comment on the sprites themselves; your fakes remind me of real pokemon. The Leober line? looks like Persian. Larvie looks a lot like Weedle, and Kitrouble reminds me of Purrloin. That's not necessarily bad, I just wanted to point out how I feel.

Okay now for the actual sprites:

• The grass line needs some work in the tentacles, they look like spaghetti to me lol. You could use another, more tinting color and sharpen the outlines. Play a little with the shading on the leaves, it's kind of a pillow-shading habit you got there. Leaves are straight, after all. And, the head doesn't really change a lot throughout the evolutions...
  • The fire line needs some spicing up. The design is somehow too plain, and the colors used is also too plain, which leads to an overall plain concept.
  • The water line seems to be okay on all of the above sections, but has some problems for the posing (especially Herond). I can't help you here, it's just a matter of conception, really.
  • The Larvae and cocoon pokemon are once again, too plain. They need some alterations. Make them look more interesting; add colors, body parts, anything that can pump them high.
  • Is that a tail or a backwing, that thing Wasmoth has below the main body? I can't make it out.
  • Wrigglito is pretty much my favorite and great job on it! Really unique and fitting.
  • The Dark Cat line is also very well-made, the only thing that bothers me is that resemblance issue but bear with me on that. ;p
Hopefully you'll add more in the future. See you around again!

blackmoonflower

Years
Thanks for the crit. Let's see here...

• Yeah I admit, the tentacles don't look that great and I should go back to fix them. I'm still working on palettes, and I had run out of colors at the time. I don't really think the leaves are pillowshaded. I tried to make them look like they curl a little from the neck, so that they're not sticking straight out.
  • Any suggestions for "spicing it up"? I tried to keep it simple on purpose, you know, like the Charmander line. Very simple starter.
  • The thing on Wasmoth is its abdomen. Look up "polka-dotted wasp moth", as that was what inspired the fakemon.
  • In my defense, I had the concept of Kitrouble and Felischief done before I knew about the Purrloin line.
I'll be working on more soon.

Last edited:

Whitefire321

Person that sprites. Woo hoo.
Years
the cats are awesome *cat lover*

though, the second stage of the grass starter is a bit big and i think looks too much like the final stage :L and every time i see the birds i think 'bird pokemon of the region' instead of 'water type starter'. maybe make them a little more fancy? also, the S1 the first one in the line doesnt look... idk... similar enough to the other two basic starters? idk how to explain it... it doesnt 'line up evenly' with the other two? idk D: also, the bad-kitty S1 basic looks like it could use longer forelegs, and its tail tip looks a bit odd... it ends abruptly o_0

blackmoonflower

Years
I'm not sure I understand about the starters. ^^; I might end up scrapping the "water starter" line and use them as just some other pokemon if I can come up with something better. I agree that the grass line needs work. Once I figure out how I'm going to fix it, I'll get on that. And I see what you mean about Kitrouble's tail... Oops.

Anyway, here's the next one. Culipod. Evolves from Wrigglito.

CulipodTile.png

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I'm not sure I understand about the starters. ^^; I might end up scrapping the "water starter" line and use them as just some other pokemon if I can come up with something better. I agree that the grass line needs work. Once I figure out how I'm going to fix it, I'll get on that. And I see what you mean about Kitrouble's tail... Oops.

CulipodTile.png

I like the design of it; it is really cute. The shading and the coloring is really done well. It's shocking that it is not a cacoon like the evolution line before it

:t354:TG

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Thanks for the crit. Let's see here...

• Yeah I admit, the tentacles don't look that great and I should go back to fix them. I'm still working on palettes, and I had run out of colors at the time. I don't really think the leaves are pillowshaded. I tried to make them look like they curl a little from the neck, so that they're not sticking straight out.
  • Any suggestions for "spicing it up"? I tried to keep it simple on purpose, you know, like the Charmander line. Very simple starter.
  • The thing on Wasmoth is its abdomen. Look up "polka-dotted wasp moth", as that was what inspired the fakemon.
  • In my defense, I had the concept of Kitrouble and Felischief done before I knew about the Purrloin line.
I'll be working on more soon.
Counter-counter-crit:

• The leaves are really close to pillowshaded. Pillowshading makes an item look massive. Why? because the way you shade it creates the effect. Same here, it shows width, not length. Fat leaves. Get me?
  • As I said, colors of the body or some extra features. You wanna keep it simple, fine, but as you said yourself, we already have Meowth/Persian for that color, so go for a different one. Pale red or brown, perhaps.
  • Oh I see. Cool :>
  • Hey I was just saying. no reason to change your design, and I might be the only one having this similarity issue. They're cool fakes, in all honesty.

CulipodTile.png
As much as I want to say it's cute, I find it kind of scary. Maybe if you made the eyes cuter-with inter coloring, it'd change the whole approach. Other than that, not much to say here, pretty much like its prevo.

blackmoonflower

Years
@TG: It's actually supposed to be a mosquito pupa. I probably should've made the head portion larger. They're really interesting looking irl.

@Truality: I was kind of going for creepy. ^^; Because of my dislike of insects. xD Thanks for taking the time to critique.

blackmoonflower

Years
Decided to do something different just for fun, so I made this guy.

PixelDragon3.png

His name's Axel. :D Shading gave me a lot of trouble, but I think it turned out nice.

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Decided to do something different just for fun, so I made this guy.

PixelDragon3.png

His name's Axel. :D Shading gave me a lot of trouble, but I think it turned out nice.

That is a gorgeous sprite and you should feel proud. Was it a pixel-over, just completely from scratch?

blackmoonflower

Years
Thank you. ^^ It was a pixel-over of one of my personal drawings, completely done in MS Paint, so cleaning up the lines was tricky and tedious.

blackmoonflower

Years
WOO! More goofing off and working on everything except my fakemon. Ha. So just a couple random things I made spontaneously to keep the thread alive somewhat.

A little Pikachu.
Pika.png

And who doesn't love friggin' ponies?
Horsey-1.png

Also, I made a step by step animation of that fairy dragon I have posted above. Why? Because I can. :3
Fairy-Dragon.gif

.: Symbiosis :.

The connection of two
Years
Well not really strange,if you were to compare it on real life,it would be okay,but I just think it's a little unorgarnic.It just doesn't fit.Call me paranoid or crazy if you want.Very good though.

blackmoonflower

Years
Soooo... I got sidetracked. Again. But I have been doing some pixel-y stuff.

For you Neopets fans out there.

Peolepe.png

And an Umbreon thingy that I made out of boredom.

Umbreon-1.png

Back