• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Biozilla

「FLAME」
Years
  • What are your thoughts on the new Ghostbusters that's coming out this November? Do you think you'll enjoy it?

Like many people, I greatly enjoyed the combination of charmingly comedic dialogue and supernatural horror presented in the first Ghostbusters film. The only other GB film I've seen is the decent but disappointing sequel; I have yet to watch the controversial 2016 film because I've heard that the script is terribly unfunny (no disrespect to the cast and crew.)

It seems like several actors from the 1984 original will reappear in Afterlife. While it will be nice to see them onscreen again, I am keeping my expectations mild. From the trailers I have seen so far, I predict that the film will be good enough without leaving a cultural impact comparable to that of the film that started the franchise.

Years
  • What are your thoughts on the new Ghostbusters that's coming out this November? Do you think you'll enjoy it?

Like many people, I greatly enjoyed the combination of charmingly comedic dialogue and supernatural horror presented in the first Ghostbusters film. The only other GB film I've seen is the decent but disappointing sequel; I have yet to watch the controversial 2016 film because I've heard that the script is terribly unfunny (no disrespect to the cast and crew.)

It seems like several actors from the 1984 original will reappear in Afterlife. While it will be nice to see them onscreen again, I am keeping my expectations mild. From the trailers I have seen so far, I predict that the film will be good enough without leaving a cultural impact comparable to that of the film that started the franchise.

My hopes? A classic that will still be fun to watch in years to come!

My prediction? By the numbers fan service that won't stand on it's own without the nostalgia factor.

I'm excited and worried at the same time. Let's all keep our fingers crossed!

Btw, the 2016 film is... not nearly as bad as people claim, but it's still terrible. It's definitely worth watching... once ;)

Biozilla

「FLAME」
    Years
  • My hopes? A classic that will still be fun to watch in years to come!

My prediction? By the numbers fan service that won't stand on it's own without the nostalgia factor.

I'm excited and worried at the same time. Let's all keep our fingers crossed!

Btw, the 2016 film is... not nearly as bad as people claim, but it's still terrible. It's definitely worth watching... once ;)

I do actually want to watch the 2016 film someday out of curiosity, but I wouldn't say I'm losing sleep over having not seen it. 😆

Years

Update!

I seen it today... I thought it was incredibly well done, and I absolutely loved it! I also cried several times 😅

It was so much better than I expected 😊

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Oh yay I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

I'm hoping to see it on Saturday when I've got some time free. Will never say no to more Paul Rudd

Years
  • Oh yay I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

I'm hoping to see it on Saturday when I've got some time free. Will never say no to more Paul Rudd

Don't be like peeps at the screening I went to... everyone left after the mid credits scene. Me and my gf were the only people left for the post credits scene. You really need to see that one :)

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Don't be like peeps at the screening I went to... everyone left after the mid credits scene. Me and my gf were the only people left for the post credits scene. You really need to see that one :)
    Oooh post-credits! I don't tend to stay unless it's a Marvel movie so thank you I would have certainly missed them otherwise :femme2:

Biozilla

「FLAME」
    Years
  • Update!

I seen it today... I thought it was incredibly well done, and I absolutely loved it! I also cried several times 😅

It was so much better than I expected 😊

Just yesterday, I saw Ghostbusters: Afterlife with my friend and was reminded of the thread I started here. In truth, I created this thread in order to reach the five-post quota for posting links. To see a notification of further replies to it surprised me; I had assumed people had forgotten about it. 😅

My experience was the film was much milder. I enjoyed it decently, but the 1984 original is still heads and shoulders above it for me. Ultimately, this movie is one that I would prefer to introduce to others than to rewatch by myself.

What do I consider to be the positives? Several great choices of casting were made by the filmmakers. Phoebe Spengler (Mckenna Grace) is wisely placed as the focal point of the film, and I was impressed by how convincingly she is Egon's granddaughter--not just in appearance, but also in personality. I would also be remiss not to highlight her mother (Carrie Coon) and science teacher (Paul Rudd), whose chemistry was enjoyable to watch unfurl onscreen. Having a fondness for dry humor and wordplay, [most of] the film's steady supply of zingers had me chuckling (e.g. "I thought you were being obtuse." The score and special effects also hold up to scrutiny, demonstrating a natural progression from the first two films' design philosophies. The Terror Dogs in particular looked great! Finally, without spoiling too much, my friend and I agreed that a certain someone's "appearance" was handled with tenderness and taste.

But what dragged down my viewing experience? My biggest issue with Ghostbusters: Afterlife was its pacing. In my humble opinion, what the film presented, especially during its first half, could have been truncated to little detriment. It was not necessary for the audience to be drip-fed ties to the original Ghostbusters crew leading up to Phoebe's epiphany about her grandfather. Indeed, it was around this halfway point that I noticed I was growing bored in the theater. It would have been better if the slow-burn approach had been ditched for a brisker pace. I also take issue with the relative lack of new supernatural antagonists. Yes, it was nice to see David Bowie and his Diamond Dogs Gozer and the Terror Dogs again, but one of the thrills of Ghostbusters is the anticipation of what kind of ghost will be thrown at you next. To my recollection, Muncher and the mine shaft ghost amalgam(?) were among the few original specters. In general, it seems that the movies of this franchise have a tendency to copy the first one's homework, albeit to varying degrees. 😶

This was also the case at my theater. Funnily enough, the usher had nearly reached my row of seats to sweep popcorn when the post-credits scene finally appeared.
    Spoiler:

Back