• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone watch or prefer the japanese version of the tv series?

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
Years
    • Age 34
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    Well about a month ago we just ordered every channel from japan I mainly did it for anime reasons. Well I was just searching through it and PoketMonsters was on and well I thought it was cool, I did however prefer the japanese names over english easy as they sounded better and not as corny as the english, I have nothing against the english version of the tv series but but the japanese version pawns if you understand the langauge.

Names
    Satoshi / Ash Ketchum - The main character, whose name in the Japanese version (Satoshi) is named after Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of the Pokémon game

Shigeru / Gary Oak - His name in the Japanese version (Shigeru) is named after famed video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto. Unlike his anime counterpart, this version of Ash's rival does not hang out with a pack of cheerleading girlfriends, nor does he travel by car. In fact, about the only thing this Gary has in common with the anime Gary is his mean attitude towards Ash. Nevertheless, he ends up traveling with Ash in the manga's epilogue.

Musashi / Jessica "Jessie" - The female half of Team Rocket.

Kojiro / James - The male half of Team Rocket.

Nyarth (ニャース Nyāsu) / Meowth - Team Rocket's third member. One of very few Pokémon who can speak a human language.

Sakaki / Giovanni - The seldom-seen leader of Team Rocket.

Years
  • O_o How the heck do you order every channel from Japan?

Anyway...I prefer the Japanese version of the English (hence why I got the five Johto DVDs released and all the movies that are out on DVD, plus the Dexoys Special and the Mewtwo Saga). XP I really don't care that I don't understand most of the words, I just prefer watching it. It's mainly the Japanese soundtrack and voices that make me prefer it over the English (I stopped like the English soundtrack waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the beginning of Johto).

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • I've watched a few in SUBS. I thought it was pretty good, better names for the people and pokemon, better soundtracks, they don't chop out cuss words, etc... But alas, I still prefer the English version, mainly because I can watch it on my TV and not my computer.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • I prefer the dub... until the 8th season
    Now I'm all for the original. They did Shinji, Hinata, Azami, Harley and Shinji great. However, I'm equal on Jindai and Brandon (they were done equally good)
    I still use most of the dub names. I use English Battle Frontier names once in a while. I use Hikari and Shinji over their English counterparts and Saori over Solidad.

I've really grown to the Japanese version. The music isn't too annoying, Kojirou sounds 1000000x better than James (Pusa and 4kids combined), and Naetle and Shinji will likely sound better than Tortwig and Paul. And besides, endings like Hikari's theme and episode previews are better than watching stupid cartoon commercials and boring credits.

The dub did rock for the longest time though. From season 1 to 7, although the loss of Nurse Joy's va kinda started the crash.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Satoshi is a common name in Japan, you only think it sounds better because its not an English name. So people in Japan probably think its as bland as Ash is to us

WaveBurst

Its Our Velocity
    Years
  • Ive only seen a few eps of Hoenn and 3 eps of D/P in Jap and I love it...The only thing I don't like is when Meowth says "Nyaa" at the end of every sentence

Back