• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ratchet & Clank

Candaceaboo

Misty Lover
Years
Ratchet & Clank is a series of 3D platformer/third-person shooter games created and developed by Insomniac Games (also known for creating the Spyro series & Resistance series).

Since the release of the original game for the PlayStation 2, simply called Ratchet & Clank in 2002, the series has gained come to be known as one of the best Sony-exclusive franchises. Since the duo's debut in 2002, has spawned 11 games, a manga, and comic book series. The series is published and owned by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the games have been released on the PS2, PSP, and PS3. All the games altogether have sold 24 million copies, and all the games have come to critical acclaim, and commercial successes. The series this year, is celebrating it's 10th anniversary.

The series is about a Lombax (some sort of anthro cat-like animal) named Ratchet who with his best friend, a small, but witty and intelligent robot named Clank travel throughout the universe and save it from evil on nearly a daily basis.

Various weapons throughout the series highly differentiate from average weapons, as they have a creative, wacky, and cartoony touch to them. Such as a gun which a creature that fires destructive belches, a weapon that can open black holes to suck up enemies, a ray that can turn enemies into chickens, a cannon that can suck up enemies then fire them as projectiles, and others.

The series is also known for it's quirky sense of humor, & making references to other video game franchise, namely, Jak & Datxer, who make small cameo appearances in various Ratchet & Clank games since Insomniac & Naughty Dog have close relations to each other.

I was introduced to Ratchet & Clank when I got a demo of Ratchet & Clank: Tools Of Destruction off of PSN. It was my first ever shooter game, and I was BLOWN away by the visuals, and I was highly interested in how the game played. I eventually got the full game, and eventually ended up playing the other Ratchet & Clank games, and since then, I've been a huge Ratchet & Clank fanboy fan to his day.

What do you like about the series? How were you introduced to it? What are some of your favorite games in the series, and what are some of your favorite moments in the series?

Discuss!

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
i was first introduced to Ratchet and Clank back in 2002 when I saw the trailers for it on TV. Then when I got my PS2, Ratchet and Clank was my first video game. I've played the games up to Size Matters, I really enjoyed the first 3. Gladiator was still bearable, the game made you jump through some boring hoops and it was kind of short but the weapon system was great. Then Size Matters came along and it had stupid mini games, a very short story and pretty terrible weapons. Why don't you just give me a Sniper Rifle instead of a Sniper Mine? The only difference is that the mine slows down game play.

After Size Matters I just didn't feel like playing the new Ratchet and Clanks any more. On a brighter note, there were things I really liked about the series. The first is that there is no fail state, no matter what you did there was no game over and you could always get back. There was also no way you could ever mess something up and lock yourself out of half the game like FF7 for example. The currency was also a nice idea although it would be rather awkward in real life if you were to carry millions of bolts with you.

I also think that one of the reasons I enjoyed the games when I was a child is because of how simple the plot is. There's a bad guy going around messing up the place, now go blow him up with a rocket. Pretty basic stuff, there's no plot twists where someone was actually good the whole time. Even with Captain Qwark who has been an ally and an enemy in different games, it was pretty straight forward he's a selfish and greedy guy so it makes sense when he decides to turn against you or help you.

By the way, Captain Qwark's funeral was my favourite moment.

Years
Ah, I remember this series. I played the first 3 games on PS2 however I only finished the second and third games.

It was through a demo of the first game that introduced me to the series.

The games released after that didn't really interest me, didn't like the storylines of the PS3 games at all.

However, the characters are enjoyable and there's a lot of humor present which made me laugh whenever I played it.

I liked most of the cutscenes with the robots, cos they made me crack up. Also, the cameos of Jak & Daxter are something interesting, I loved how there was a cutscene in the second game where Clank imitates the dance that Daxter does when a Power Cell is collected in the first Jak & Daxter game.

I still play the original games to this day.

@Wings Don't Cry Yeah, the Qwark funeral was a memorable moment in the series. However, he actually faked his death, as shown in the final scenes.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Those were my favorite Playstation game growing up. We have the first 4 games since we couldn't get a PS3 to play the Future Trilogy. If I ever get a PS3 I might buy one of them just to play it. I personally have only completed the first one and have only done parts of Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal. But I've watched my brothers play the others and know the plots of the games pretty well.

I didn't care for Size Matters cause it was on PSP and I don't feel like buying one just for a game. I'm just more of a DS person.

The first four are the best ones, with Going Commando being my favorite. It was one of those games that was hilarious yet had an enjoyable plot. My favorite part was the scene where Megacorp is experimenting with Protopet.(I think that's what it is ,if someone can find a video or something that be great) I cracked up laughing watching that.

Qwark's funeral is also one of my favorite moment as long as the one I mentioned above with the Protopet. I still play the games every once in a while today.

Back