• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Helping someone make a rom hack. I have some questions.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Hi, all! So this is my first post, I'm new here. I'm helping someone make a rom hack and I have some questions. First off, this is all of his/her idea and I'm just starting to help, and I'm not sure if they have an account here, so all credit to them (Ex_Snagem_Wes on reddit.) So now on to the questions:

1. Ex_Snagem_Wes has already started on this game (it will be an emerald hack), and I wanted to add pokemon (thinking about all pokemon up to this point, maybe including alola. Still figuring that out.) I know there are some patches that can be used as a base, so is it possible to add the base onto the work that Ex_Snagem_Wes without changing their work?

2. If it is possible, are there any patches that include all of the pokemon up to date for the pkmn Emerald? If not then I am currently watching LCCoolJ95's video on expanding the pokedex and will work on that.

3. If I do have to manually expand it then is there somewhere that has resources to import the pokemon sprites, movesets, attributes, and the rest?

Thank you everyone in advance, and apologies if the answers are obvious or easily answered.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
The only solutions I can think of are MrDollSteak's RomBase and Petuuuhhh's rombase (which are compatible with each other) but they're only for FireRed, unfortunately :(

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
There aren't any patches AFAIK, but there are things that do the same job in a more customisable way and will work on edited ROMs: this is by far the best way to expand the Pokedex, and this can be used to add the new moves and abilities you might want to go with your new Pokemon, as well as their level up moves. You can get sprite sheets that are ready to be mass inserted by PGE here, as well as from similar projects in that part of the forum. As for stats, types, etc. you can either add those by hand or copy them from an existing ROM that includes new Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Wow, thanks! I have a question though if you don't mind helping me figure it out. I edited the dex and poke numbers, and I'm on step 5 of what you linked me. The problem is when i open up python and enter the script line it says that script is unidentified. Any clue why that is? I only know some c++, no python :/

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Wow, thanks! I have a question though if you don't mind helping me figure it out. I edited the dex and poke numbers, and I'm on step 5 of what you linked me. The problem is when i open up python and enter the script line it says that script is unidentified. Any clue why that is? I only know some c++, no python :/

I know about as much python as you do I'm afraid, but I've gotten all these things working before so I'll see if I can help. Does the command line give you any more information than that? And is this the battle engine you're setting up or the Pokedex expansion?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Heya guys, it's for the pokedex expansion. And I'll look into that link, thanks!

Back