• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink_Marshmello

Super Nerd
Years
Could you sign me up for Psycic type please? I've been debating weather or not to do this for a while, and I finally got around to it. XD Now lets just see if I can finish!

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
Years
Oh gawd, Fighting on Red *twitch*
I know how you feel. My best advice?
POLIWRATH.
Frickin Hypnosis and then BAM! some strong move that takes out half it's health.
Heheh, trust me. He was tough. I had Heracross, Poliwrath, Machoke, and Hitmonchan.
Having real trouble with Red in Silver.

Just trying my best to grind in Mt.Silver.

I can own his Pikachu and..Mainly anything else...Except that freakin Espeon....Gawd.

Just training my fighting types...I'll have a proper update another time as I'm tired.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
Years
Ummmmm........
Can I do a Flying Type Monotype Challenge on just Firered, Emerald, and Pearl?
I do have 2nd gen, but my Gold and Silver's internal batteries died, and I think that my Crystal got lost when it was sent from Washington State)The box that I think it was in was last seen in Spokane), Oh, and can I train a Caterpie into Butterfree?
It isn't Flying type until then, so can I just not use it in battle, but send it out until it evolves?

P.S. I am going to do the monotype anyway.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I would like to do a Ghost Type Challenge, will play the first two gen's with an Emulator though, me doesnt have the first 2 gens anymore ^^.

Missingno.7-4468 said:
Ummmmm........
Can I do a Flying Type Monotype Challenge on just Firered, Emerald, and Pearl?
I do have 2nd gen, but my Gold and Silver's internal batteries died, and I think that my Crystal got lost when it was sent from Washington State)The box that I think it was in was last seen in Spokane), Oh, and can I train a Caterpie into Butterfree?
It isn't Flying type until then, so can I just not use it in battle, but send it out until it evolves?

P.S. I am going to do the monotype anyway.

Toon Deidei said:
I'd Liek to do Rock please Ill start right away (on yellow)

Okay, I'll add all three of you to the first page. Good luck! :D

Though Missingo, I was unclear as to whether you were saying you were going to skip the 2nd Gen or not. You still have to do so, but you can do it on an Emulator as Veristical will be doing.

And yes, Caterpie is fine on a Flying team. ^^

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
My, my… Some times has passed since my last update. And I had only little time to play the last week. Let´s correct this.

-Caught a Staryu (Lv.20) "Nurvent" in Olivine City and made some thoughts about it…
(Rules don´t clearly allow or disallow using a Pokemon of a type which is not our chosen type IF this Pokemon will evolve into one with your type (for example, using a Charmander in a Flying-Challenge – it will evolve into a Flying-type Pokemon). So I decided to put Nurvent in my team but I do not use it in battles (only against wild Pokemon). After evolving into Starmie, this star will have time to shine. )
-Went back to Lake of Rage and talked with Lance; went to the Rockets Hideout in Mahogany City and defeated all Henchmen and Executives and the Electrodes… no one had a chance, of course. This Hideout battle is one of my favourite parts of the game.
-Challenged Pryce in his gym and won. The battle was quite easy, thanks to Maleval and his powerful electric- and fire moves. I got my 7th Badge.
-I went to Goldenrod City for obvious reasons… Liberate the city is another of my favourite parts. Only the battle against the new leader of Team Rocket was quite challenging; Houndoom nearly knock off all my Pokemon; with luck (it was paralyzed just in the right moment) and Leech Seed is was so weak in the end that Maleval, himself hardly debilitated, could finish him with Thunder Punch. I was really worried about fighting Karen after that battle.
-I made my way through the Ice Path to Blackthorn Town and fought against Clair; she was not as hard as I thought. Kasura did a great job and took out her Dragonairs with Ice Punch, and Leech Seed helped to deal with Kingdra. After getting Dragons Fang out of Dragons Den, I finally got my final Badge.
-I travelled to Kanto, using Route 27 and 26 and, of course, Victory Road. While doing so, I defeated lots of trainers (in fact, ALL trainers I met…) including Silver. After arriving at the League, I bought some items and trained my team a last time. This was my alliance just before challenging the Elite Four:

- …l Sindri l… (Exeggcute (f); Lv.38) @Miracle Seed (useless, but quite fitting, I thought): Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Confusion, Reflect
- …l Laehydre l… (Xatu (m); Lv.40) @Amulet Coin: Fly, Teleport, Night Shade, Future Sight
- …l Sethur l… (Hypno (m); Lv.40) @- : Hypnosis, Confusion, Fire Punch, Headbutt
- …l Kasura l… (Slowking (f); Lv.40) @Nevermeltedice: Headbutt, Confusion, Curse, Ice Punch
- …l Maleval l… (Alakazam (m); Lv.40) @Magnet: Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Psychic, Recover
- […l Nurvent l… (Staryu; Lv.28): Waterfall, Surf, Recover, Swift ]

And the battle started…

Will: He wasn´t a problem. His Xatus became electrocuted by Maleval, Slowbro was Leech Seeded and slept itself to death against Sindri, and Exeggcutor and Jynx burned down (also from Maleval).
Koga: No chance for him as well. Sindri defeated Ariados and Venomoth, Maleval and Kasura finished the rest of his team.
Bruno: We spoke already about Fighting versus Psychic… Sindri defeated his first three Fighting-type Pokemon (and reached Lv.40 while doing so) and Kasura and Maleval took care for the last two.
Karen: Ah well, something challenging after all… Sindri put Umbreon to sleep and gave Kasura the time to set up Curse four times. She then defeated Umbreon, Murkrow, Gengar and Vileplum with the help of some healing potions. Houndoom was a big problem. I finally decided to stall out his Crunchs till his PP run out, and lost nearly all my potions while doing so. After he couldn´t cruch and longer, Malevals Thunder Punch finished him.
Champion Lance: My luck returned. Gyarados could not stand more than one Thunder Punch, Kasura managed it to take down his first two Dragonites, Aerodactyl hyperbeamed Maleval but got two Thunder Punches in return and lost consciousness, and Maleval even hit Charizard critically (and paralyzes it) before he was defeated. Charizard was downed by Kasure then, and she finally won against Lance´s last Dragonite, too.

I was the Champ then. (I got the S.S. ticket from Lind before saving the game and finish it for that day.)

Hall of Fame:
- …l Sindri l… : Lv.40
- …l Laehydre l… : Lv.40
- …l Sethur l… : Lv.40
- …l Kasura l… : Lv.43
- …l Maleval l… : Lv.42
- …l Nurvent l… : Lv.28

So I´m looking forward to visit Kanto. Guess I´ll finish the challenge this week.

Yams

Polursaring!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 21, 2013
Hey, while I wait for my chance to get Platinum(which may be very soon in fact) I am going to do an Ultimate Ice Monotype challenge on Red to pass time, also I want to be the first Double Ultimate Monotype Champion. I'll trade over a Jynx to start my challenge.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
hm ok Well i beat Brock with Mankey and caught a geodude (named it Mount) Went through the cave a arrived at cerulean.I was at lvl 22 then i thought,"lets go to nugget bridge."So I did,and got to lvl 26.grinded to 27 fora better chance at misty.After 3 battles agaist misty i realived that im faster then Staryu and Tied with Starmie.So I made a plan.

A.Get a crit on either one (water attacks 2 hit Ko me so if i Crit on staryu then i can 2 hit ko starmie,or vise versa)

B.Staryu and starmie miss(since they miss i Ko them with ease)

C.These steps bellow vvvvvv(and what happend)Which took me 5 mins to Figure the caculations

Misty used X defend.
Mount used Sessmic Toss.
Mount used Sessmic Toss.
Staryu KOed
Starmie comes out.
Misty used X defend.
Mount Sessmic Toss
Starmie used Bubblebeam (i think thats what she used)
(mount at Red HP)
Mount used Sessmic Toss.

I wins xD

Then i skipped the trainers on SS anne (dont wanna over lvl)
Got cut and took the bulbasaur.

Now im on my way to rock tunnel so i can obtain Onix.

~~~~~TEAM~~~~~
Lvl 29 Lvl29 M
~~~~~Tackle~~~~~ O
~~~Defence Curl~~~ U
~~~Rock Throw~~~ N
~~~Seismic Toss~~ T

Any like how i arranged the Team format above

Can some one help me,I cant find onix T0T

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
@Toon Deidei: There really is no special trick. You just have to look for it... because it´s rare at the Rock Tunnel, you can spend minutes or hours for searching; it´s up to your luck.
The next chance would be on Victory Road.

Keep in mind that Onix is very cool, but really could do nothing but taking physical hits well. It has low attack and special and doesn´t learn really useful attacks. Besides, you´re doing better while spending powerful (and STAB-) TMs like Dig, Earthquake, Rock Slide and Bodyslam to Pokemon with high attack stats, such as Rhydon or Golem. So you don´t have anything to help Onix with his terrible move pool, which makes him even worse. Poor thing. [Well, I´m not sure if I have the right to say that. If not, my appologizes for that.]

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
@Toon Deidei: There really is no special trick. You just have to look for it... because it´s rare at the Rock Tunnel, you can spend minutes or hours for searching; it´s up to your luck.
The next chance would be on Victory Road.

Keep in mind that Onix is very cool, but really could do nothing but taking physical hits well. It has low attack and special and doesn´t learn really useful attacks. Besides, you´re doing better while spending powerful (and STAB-) TMs like Dig, Earthquake, Rock Slide and Bodyslam to Pokemon with high attack stats, such as Rhydon or Golem. So you don´t have anything to help Onix with his terrible move pool, which makes him even worse. Poor thing. [Well, I´m not sure if I have the right to say that. If not, my appologizes for that.]
It wasnt rare at all,i was just on the wrong floor xD

Ill update later cause my CPU with my rom isnt with me T-T.But Onix will take things well because it and graveler will be my only pokes till the 5th gym,so it will be overleveled

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
To warn you right from the beginning: This is my last GSC-Update on my Psychic Monoteam Challenge! Why? Well, because I finish it! (The GSC-part, not the Challenge, of course...)

Let us start with the beginning: I took the M.S. Aqua to reach Kanto the first time. Of course I showed the trainers on board who´s best, but I think everyone do the same… or not? ^^

Well, after arriving Kanto I made a decision: I will travel through the whole country without fighting against the gym leaders in the first time. So don´t wonder yourself…

-After I arrived in Vermilion City I walked on Route 5 to Saffron City; I got TM29 there and taught it to Laehydre (Xatu). Then I went straight to Cerulean City, fought my way along Route 24 and 25 to reach Bills Mansion – where I finally got a Water Stone from Bills Grandpa!
-Nurvent evolved into Starmie and finally became a Psychic Pokemon, too!
-I went back to Saffron City to reach Celadon City (I found some Leftovers there…) and then I travelled along Routes 16,17 and 18. Notice that I only used Nurvent to give it the chance to reach the same level the rest of the team has. After arriving in Fuchsia City… I immediately left the town and went on Routes 15, 14, 13, 12 and 11, reaching Lavandia, and then fighting against the two guys on Route 10 too.
-Sindri reached Lv.43, learned Solar Beam, and evolved with the help of Grandpas Leaf Stone. Nurvent is on Lv.42 now. (When it evolved, it was on Lv.28!!!)
-I visited the Power Plant, then flow to Cerulean City, defeated the Rocket and grabbed the missing part. I brought it back to the Power Plant. As a reward I got the radio from Lavandia Radio Tower, which allows me to woke up Snorlax.
- I captured Snorlax and took his leftovers.
-I went through Digletts Cave to Viridian City. There I got TM Dreameater and teached it to Exeggcutor. Then I went to Pallet Town and surfed to Cinnabar Island.
-I DIDN´T talk to Blue – I wanted to save me that for the final.
-After surfing to Seafoam Island and back to Fuchsia, my sightseeing tour through Kanto was nearly finished. I went to Pewter City and entered Mount Moon. There I defeated Silver the last time. Now back to Cerulean City and to Saffron City.
-I managed it to get the doll back for the little girl and got the ticket for the Magnet train. I took a training session on Victory Road then.
All my Pokemon are on Lv.48 now, except Laehydre (Xatu) and Sethur (Hypno) – both are Lv.46.

Now I challenged – and defeated – quite quickly all eight gym leaders, everyone with one or two Pokemon only.
-Brock with Laehydre
-Misty with Maleval
-Lt. Surge with Sethur
-Erika with Laehydre
-Janina with Slowking
-Blaine with Nurvent (before challenging him, I talked to Blue on Cinnabar Island)
-Sabrina, my mistress, with Maleval and Xatu
-Blue with Sindri (defeating Exeggcutor, Gyarados, Rhydon), Nurvent (defeating Arcanine), Sethur (defeating Alakazam) and Kasura (defeating Pidgeot)

So I got all eight Badges of Kanto now. I visited Prof. Oak and travelled to Mt. Silver.

There I faced Red. My team was about Lv.49-50 now.

His Pikachu KOed Sethur. So I sent out Sindri, who used Sleep Powder and Dreameater to win.
His Charizard was confused by Nurvent, hurt himself and suffered by Surf.
Espeon was also confused, but then it badly hit Nurvent, so I decided to change it against Sindri again. Sindri set it to sleep, Leech-Seeded it and used Solar Beam to win.
Snorlax was sent out – definitely his most dangerous Pokemon. It used Amnesia and Bodyslam which gave Kasura the chance to set up Curse five times in a row (with some potion support, of course) and she even dealed some damage, but fainted after a Critical Hit Snore. I tried Laehydre, but another Critical Hit – bodyslam this time – defeated it immediately. So I choosed Sindri again. With Leech Seed, Sleep Powder and dream Eater I finally managed to win.
He sent out Venusaur, and Maleval used Psychic. Venusaur tried Solar Beam, but of course the second Psychic finished him before he could use the solar energy.
His last Pokemon – Blastoise! It was Sindri again. She used the well-known strategy of Sleep Powder and Leech Seed and was really lucky that Blastoise managed it to use three Blizzards – which all missed. After that much Criticals Red gets, it was quite fair I guessed. After Solar Beaming Blastoise, I won.

So this is it. I challenged the Elite Four a second time after winning against Red, mostly because I want revenge on Karen for being so hard to beat the first time. xD

Last Team Update:

- …l Laehydre l… (Xatu (m); Lv.51) Teleport, Fly, Giga Drain, Psychic @Amulet Coin
- …l Sethur l… (Hypno (m); Lv.51) Flash, Hypnosis, Headbutt, Psychic
- …l Nurvent l… (Starmie; Lv.51) Recover, Confuse Ray, Icy Wind, Surf @Leftovers
- …l Kasura l… (Slowking (f); Lv.51) Curse, Ice Punch, Headbutt, Psychic @Nevermeltice
- …l Sindri l… (Exeggcutor (f); Lv.51) Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Dreameater, Solar Beam @Leftovers
- …l Maleval l… (Alakazam (m); Lv.52) Recover, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Psychic @Magnet

So, that is it. Or not? Something is missing – the final conclusion! Ok, here you are.

It was not as easy as in R/B. With the Dark type, Steel and Ghosts too, there are some decent enemies of Psychic with powerful attacks (for example that damn Houndoom and his crunch attack…). Also the new TM list has benefits (for example for Alakazam) and curses (for example for Starmie). No evolution stones but the few ones on Ceruelan City quite on the end of the game are really bad too… However, Psychic Pokemon are as powerful as always. They suffer a bit from the split of Special, of course. Mainly Exeggcutor, who has now a huge Special Attack and a very low Special Defence, but Alakazam has the same problem, too. Well, they aren´t made for stalling. They have a giant movepool which covers many attacks from different types (Fire- or Electric Pokemon only learn Fire/Electric attacks mainly) – I can choose of Psychic, Fire, Electric, Ice, Water, Plant, Fly and Normal.

Let me look on my Protagonists now and reflect the accomplishments of them.

1. Sethur (Hypno). Well, this one was worse than in R/B. Odd, because it has the ability of using the elemental punches. But my Hypno sadly has a very low Sp. Attack stat – which makes it hardly usable. He had his moments, but in fact I am sure I would have completed the Challenge without him as well.

2. Laehydre (Xatu). This one was a surprise for me. Psychic, Giga Drain, Fly… powerful Attack and Special Attack as well. Flying carriage and natural Teleport made it take the place Maleval used to have in R/B and gave Maleval the chance to evolve. Xatu is very cool. He was easy to train as well. Ok, to be honest, he was not too brilliant in battle. In my second run through the Elite Four he wrecked Koga without help, but against Red or in the First Challenge, he didn´t really get a chance to shine. At least he defeated Brock and Erika nearly without help.

3. Nurvent (Starmie). Poor one. It is terribly turned down by the lack of a Water stone and good TMs. No Thunder Bolt, no Ice Beam – and its wonderful type coverage had gone. Icy Wind is a more than poor alternative to Ice Beam, and Confuse Ray could not be named "alternative"… But after evolving, it reached 14 levels in a short time and took down Blaine´s Pokemon, Blue´s Arcanine and Red´s Charizard. With a better movepool, it would be as great as in R/B and I really look forward to see how it will be in R/S/E.

4. Kasura (Slowking). As I had mentioned, I never had a Slowking before, but always wished to have one. I was surprised of her. She never let me down, was of great help against so many enemies… Kai, Sandra, Karen, Lance and Janina are only some the victories she gave me. She was my first true Psychic Pokemon (leaving out the Unowns) and… and… well, I don´t have enough words to say how worthy she was for my team.

5. Sindri (Exeggcutor). She was better than in R/B, if this is even possible. Training her up from Level 10 was hard, no doubt. Before she learned Leech Seed, she hardly won a battle. But after that, she had this dangerous Sleep – LS-Combo. It became even better with learning Dreameater – more powerful than Psychic and quite effective, because Sleep Powder is more accurate than Hypnosis. Her movepool was without a doubt much better than in R/B, and that resulted in taking down enemies like nothing… half of Red´s Team can affirm that. This one was very, very, very good. Really.

6. Maleval (Alakazam). My dear Captain, again. And, this time, an Alakazam instead of a Kadabra (because now I had Xatu to use Teleport). And his movepool was amazing! The elemental Punches turned him into a weapon of mass destruction. Sadly his poor defenses let him faint quite often. So on the battlefield he wasn´t as effective as Sindri or Kasura. But nevertheless he was tough, strong, cool and he has the highest Special Attack, combined with the best movepool of all my Pokemon.

So… this was it, finally. I have completed the second part of the Challenge. May you add me to Hoenn, Alakazam17?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Yes, I shall be adding you to Hoenn prompty. And congrats, you've now gotten further in your Psychic challenge than I have. =P

xxlucifera

Zero; Less Than Three
Years
Joining with a Blue Rom, using the fire type.

Current Team:
rbspr005.png

Lvl. 31
-Ember
-Scratch
-Rage
-Leer

Here's my first progress Update.
-got charmander
-trained to level 16
-cleared viridian forest
-defeated brock
-trained in mt. moon to level 20
-cleared mt. moon
-trained to level 25 in cerulean
-beat misty at level 31 (took several tries to take down starmie, leveled up a lot on staryu)

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
Yes, I shall be adding you to Hoenn prompty. And congrats, you've now gotten further in your Psychic challenge than I have. =P

Thank you very much. =)

But, while we´re at it, why don´t you finish your challenge already? You were the first one who started this. O.ô

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
XD Yes I was. I guess I've just been working on other stuff and playing Platinum. But I shall come back to it eventually. I am on summer vacation now, after all. :D

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
XD Can't really get on their case, the first person to finish the challenge started like 2-3 months after me and her, and I just finished recently XD

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
So I started the third part of my Ultimate Psychic Monoteam Challenge. I´ll play Emerald, one of my favourite Editions and definitely the best Advance Edition in my eyes.

-I named myself Wyyrlok (a reference to my first two characters of course) and choosed Torchic to save Prof. Birch. I trained it until Lv.9 to defeat May the first time.
-Caught a Zigzagoon (Lv.4 (m)) as my fundamental HM-Slave.
-Caught a Ralts Lv.4 (I carefully looked for a female one – a male Guardevoir is just ridiculous. I named her "Guinevre" and trained her until she reached Lv.6 and learned Confusion, so she could take care for herself.

!Attention! In Hoenn you meet Dark Pokemon (Poochyena and Nuzleaf ) at the beginning of the game. So there's no hope for Psychic Pokemon only! 'Cause I'm the first one with Psychic Pokemon in Hoenn so far, I decided for myself to use Zigzagoon, my HM-Slave, to fight against this Dark Pokemon, because the first Psychic Pokemon which could learn a not-psychic Attack is Baltoy (Ralts and Kadabra only learn Psychic Attacks and couldn´t hurt Dark Pokemon). And the battles against the dark-Pokemon-Users couldn't be avoided. So you have to use something which could hurt them.
@Alakazam: Could you please legalize this method? As you will see too, there's no other way.

-I reached Petalburg City (Guinevre is Lv.8 now). Short time later I reached Petalburg Woods and won against Team Aqua's Grunt there.
-I reached Rustboro City and got HM01. I teached Cut to Zigzagoon. Guinevre is on Lv.12 now.
-I caught an Abra (Lv.7 (m) "Maleval") on Route 116. After some training I challenged Roxanne (Maleval: Lv.12; Guinevre: Lv.15). I abused Double Team to beat her. I got my first badge – the Stone Badge.
-I rescued Mr. Brineys Wingull, Peeko, and saved the Devon Goods in the same fight against Team Aqua.
-While leaving Rustboro City, I fought again against May and won. Maleval reached Lv.16 and evolved into Kadabra, which made my very happy. Now I have two very good Pokemon with me.
-Mr. Briney took me to Dewford Town. There, I challenged Brawly (Maleval: Lv.18; Guinevre: Lv.17) and won, of course. Fighting against Psychic, you remember? That story will go on in Sinnoh. The second badge was mine.
-I met Steven at Granite Cave and gave him his letter.
-Briney took me to Slateport City then. I trained Ralts a little so she reached Lv.20 and evolved into Kirlia finally.
-I went to the Battle Tent. I used a Golbat, a Breloom, and a Linoone. I won.
-I did it again. This time I got a Swalot (which was really useful with Yawn and Encore), a Pelipper and a Loudred (which I traded against Kadabra later). I won again.
-In the museum, I won against Team Aqua again and gave the Goods to Captain Stern.
-I travelled along Routes 110 and 103 and won against May again. I went through the Trick House the first time.
-I reached Mauville City and got HM 06 and teached Rock Smash to Zigzagoon. I defeated Wally. I went to Verdanturf Town by using Route 117.

Team Update:
- …l Guinevre l… (Kirlia (f); Lv.26): Calm Mind, Confusion, Double Team, Psychic
- …l Maleval l… (Kadabra (m); Lv.26): Teleport, Reflect, Recover, Psybeam
- [Zigzagoon (m) Lv.16: Headbutt, Sand Attack, Cut, Rock Smash]

Back in Mauville, I challenged Gym Leader Wattson and won by using both Double Team and Calm Mind as often as possible while fighting against Voltorb. With the boosted Special Attack, I beat all his Pokemon with only one hit. Quite mean. I won the Dynamo Badge.

-I opened the Rusturf Tunnel and got HM 04.
- I got a Bicycle and drove along the Seaside Cycling Road. I went through the Trick House the second time.
-I went on Route 111, fought against the family and the Interviewers.
-I travelled on route 112 and reached Mt.Chimney and the Fiery Path.
-Kirlia reached Lv.30 and evolved into Gardevoir finally!

I am currently on Route 113.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back