• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Japan...just...why =_=

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
It's a difference of comedy, really. They just happen to be a lot more straightforward in their sexual comedy.

The emphasis foreigners have on the weirder stuff doesn't really help much either ^^;;

Years
Yeah, when americans get straightforward with their sexual 'comedy' though it's never funny, at least not like animes. in fact it comes off as crude ******** that makes absolutely no sense.

In some cases, weirdness is just exaggerated but then...sometimes stuff like this happens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmfmMrZEUY&list=FLtZhJpK9PvB71s2a9Ymjasg&index=4&feature=plpp_video

I understand taking a joke a little too far...but this is just...*sigh*

I'll admit that anime has a lot of weird stuff in general, we put emphasis on it because well, we're not used to it.
When I think "ninja" I think a guy in all black clothes chucking ninja stars around and silently killing their enemy. Not a loudmouthed bullheaded moron running around in an orange jumpsuit....
(In case you don't notice I'm being sarcastic to make my point a bit more clear lol I like Naruto, just not as much as I used to)

I like when anime gets weird, when it's used as comic relief, but when it's weird to be weird...it makes me cringe.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I lol'd pretty hard at both of those, what's the problem? lol

I know it's stupid, and over the top, and well... stupid, but it still gets a grin out of me.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
The Mahoromatic clip was funny.

Also it's not like Western comedy never resorts to this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I have nothing else to say, such a nothing topic.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
I am already abreast of Japanese and their stereotypical... weirdness.
Honestly, this is just because the Japanese do not have overly puritan standards like Americans and Europeans do. So Japanese media can titillate their audiences with as much innuendo as they want without creating much controversy.

Years
I am already abreast of Japanese and their stereotypical... weirdness.
Honestly, this is just because the Japanese do not have overly puritan standards like Americans and Europeans do. So Japanese media can titillate their audiences with as much innuendo as they want without creating much controversy.

*snicker* bad puns are bad with bold words :3

I do understand that much, I just don't understand what the hell goes through their mind when they come up with these moments. The ones that are intended to be funny (like the Canaan clip and the Monochromatic clip) I understand, it's just comic relief. But when sh*t is straight up weird (Bobobobobobobobo bah! you know what I mean :/ ) it just makes me go "whaaaaaaa o_o" and sit there confused as hell for three minutes lol

I do like that they go the extra mile and are balsy enough to make said jokes. Hell I'm glad they're straightforward enough that you can even get what the 'joke' is. For example, we don't know those really were meat buns until the very last minute. But the guy that said it didn't find out. I get the "that's what makes it funny!" aspect, but I dunno.

=-= random joke time
Question: what do ya call megaman playing classic video games
A: A Contra-versy!
*shot*

Sorry....I had to after reading that one word... :P

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 30, 2012
Don't find it funny and it's pretty trashy and sexist...
Even Hayao Miyazaki who is a feminist talked about the way young females are protraited in anime so poorly and hyper sexualized and how some animes take a joke out of sexual harassment

Years
In all honesty, the only reason that the Canaan clip is funny is because it turns out that what the guy said was right, I'm pretty sure that's where they were going with that joke.

For the Monochromatic clip I'm pretty sure they were going for a "you jinxed it dumbass" moment(when you look at what the teacher says...) but took things a little too far.

There are times when japanese animation gets a little too carried away with boob jokes, but seriously, nobody makes boob humor better than Japan, at least not without resorting to crude in-jokes and stuff only adults would understand.

In all honesty, it's a flawed sense of 'fanservice' and much more the creator having a fantasy of their own and hoping the viewers will get a cheep thrill out of it. It's why I like animes like Asobi Ni Ikku Yo and Divergence Eve so much. They have just the right sense about when and where to use fanservice without resorting to such 'insulting' tactics.

My question though is why.....seriously...unless it's comic relief it doesn't need to be there.(especially random pantie shots, seriously...wtf...) I'll accept an overly buxom character....but other than that....*shrugs*

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
In all honesty, the only reason that the Canaan clip is funny is because it turns out that what the guy said was right, I'm pretty sure that's where they were going with that joke.

Exactly this! I think that the pun was what made it comedic, since there's oh-so-many ways people describe breasts, and this was supposed to be literal.

I personally don't find it funny but I can see the humor in it.​

Back