• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Byte Tutorial for Advance Map?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 27, 2019
Bonjour everyone, I'm new to Rom hacking and had some trouble when editing tiles. I'm asked to choose Bytes. On online tutorials they are never asked to do so. I can't seem to find help online. Any help is appreciated.

ps: is there an undo button on Advance map?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Bonjour everyone, I'm new to Rom hacking and had some trouble when editing tiles. I'm asked to choose Bytes. On online tutorials they are never asked to do so. I can't seem to find help online. Any help is appreciated.

ps: is there an undo button on Advance map?

The purpose of that is to search for free space, just in case you didn't know. If you go into "Settings" you should come across an option "Automatically look for offsets". If you tick that, you shouldn't get those pop-ups anymore =)

Also nope, no undo button unfortunately =(

pikachux2

Never Evolve
Years
I thought this would be a good place to ask a question, because it is somewhat of a follow up.

I'm having an issue where a warp is only working when I use a 15x20 map. If I make the map 15x25 the game crashes on map load. I repointed this manually with no luck. What's recommended? Can I just create a new map and point that to any given offset? Or is generally frowned upon to create new maps instead of editing old. I'm worried about the rom's stability and haven't found any tutorial that gets into the inner workings of how A-Map writes to the rom.

EDIT:

So I inserted a map at a custom offset, Do I need to be aware of anything that could go wrong? Any insight would be highly appreciated. I wouldn't want to destroy my work.

Last edited:
Back