• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Instructions unclear.

Splosh96

Splosh
Years
  • Age 27
  • U.K
  • Seen Jun 1, 2019
Hi all, I'm sorry in advance for this post. However setting up Pokemon Emerald Disassembly couldn't be more confusing.

Maybe you need some coding skills or perhaps I'm overlooking something simple, who knows.

Here are the instructions a windows user has to follow to configure the disassembly:

Install devkitARM.

Then get the compiled tools from https://github.com/pret/pokeruby-tools. Copy the tools/ folder over the tools/ folder in your pokeemerald directory.

You can then build pokeemerald using make in the MSYS environment provided with devkitARM.

I have completed the first two steps above, however nowhere above does it state you need to install the Pokemon Emerald disassembly first, neither does it state what files go in which folders.

On top of this the last sentence implies I have to type, "make", into MSYS, but doing so does nothing. This is probably because there is another step missing or not mentioned.

I have spent 3 days trying to figure all of this out, to no avail. Is it not possible to put an easy to follow, step by step beginners guide somewhere on this forum?

Sorry if I come across as rude, or annoying. I am just a little frustrated. You see I have a whole Pokemon game planned out on paper but I can't seem to actually make it.

Many thanks,

Splosh96.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
however nowhere above does it state you need to install the Pokemon Emerald disassembly first, neither does it state what files go in which folders.
You don't need to "install Pokeemerald". I don't know where are you taking that from.
As for the latter, the instructions written in the INSTALL.md documents of Pret's Repositories are usually pretty straightforward.
It'd be more helpful if you explained what exactly are you having troubles understanding here.
On top of this the last sentence implies I have to type, "make", into MSYS, but doing so does nothing. This is probably because there is another step missing or not mentioned.
I don't use mSys to compile Pokeemerald personally, but are you sure that you're currently inside Pokeemerald's folder before typing "make"?
0z75W1Q.png

Honestly, the process couldn't be any simpler. You just install devkitPro/devkitARM, download Pokeemerald and Pokeruby-tools, grab the "tools" folder within pokeruby-tools and drop it inside your Pokeemerald folder, then you open your terminal/command prompt of choice and type "make".
If that is not working for you, you might be missing something crucial, like some library, or maybe you didn't install devkitPro correctly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2023
Hi all, I'm sorry in advance for this post. However setting up Pokemon Emerald Disassembly couldn't be more confusing.

Maybe you need some coding skills or perhaps I'm overlooking something simple, who knows.

Here are the instructions a windows user has to follow to configure the disassembly:

Install devkitARM.

Then get the compiled tools from https://github.com/pret/pokeruby-tools. Copy the tools/ folder over the tools/ folder in your pokeemerald directory.

You can then build pokeemerald using make in the MSYS environment provided with devkitARM.

I have completed the first two steps above, however nowhere above does it state you need to install the Pokemon Emerald disassembly first, neither does it state what files go in which folders.

I have spent 3 days trying to figure all of this out, to no avail. Is it not possible to put an easy to follow, step by step beginners guide somewhere on this forum?

Sorry if I come across as rude, or annoying. I am just a little frustrated. You see I have a whole Pokemon game planned out on paper but I can't seem to actually make it.

Many thanks,

Splosh96.

Before you use the command "Make", you actually have to navigate to where the pokeemerald folder is. Idk where your file is, but in MSYS2, you can type cd, (short for change directory), and drag the pokeemerald file to MSYS2 so it can automatically navigate to it. Make sure to have spaces between cd and the directory. Hope this helps and goodluck to your romhack!

Last edited:

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
How long does the build process usually take? (Perhaps it's shorter for subsequent builds?) My first build is taking well over 30 minutes now.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
How long does the build process usually take? (Perhaps it's shorter for subsequent builds?) My first build is taking well over 30 minutes now.
It depends on your CPU entirely.
As a reminder, you can assign multiple cores of your CPU to the process of compiling a ROM to speed things up.
Code:
make -jN
"N" being the amount of cores you want to allocate. The more cores, the faster it should go in theory.

Splosh96

Splosh
Years
  • Age 27
  • U.K
  • Seen Jun 1, 2019
Hi guys, thanks for all of the help!

The instructions make sense now, however for some odd reason every-time I install DevkitPro it does not come with the DevkitARM folder.
This is of course a problem as without DevkitARM you cannot make the Rom.

What baffles me is that the first time I ever installed, DevkitPro, the DevkitARM folder was there. I've reinstalled DevkitPro 4 times and the DevkitARM folder is not appearing.

I get DevkitPro from the same place as I did the first time, so I don't understand whats going on.

I highly doubt anyone will have an answer to this, but I'm posting just in case.

Many many thanks,

Splosh

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2023
Hi guys, thanks for all of the help!

The instructions make sense now, however for some odd reason every-time I install DevkitPro it does not come with the DevkitARM folder.
This is of course a problem as without DevkitARM you cannot make the Rom.

What baffles me is that the first time I ever installed, DevkitPro, the DevkitARM folder was there. I've reinstalled DevkitPro 4 times and the DevkitARM folder is not appearing.

I get DevkitPro from the same place as I did the first time, so I don't understand whats going on.

I highly doubt anyone will have an answer to this, but I'm posting just in case.

Many many thanks,

Splosh

I've used this installer to download the required files. If it's the same devkitpro installer as the one you've used... I'm sorry, I wouldn't know what the cause of DevKitARM is. Maybe move the installation folder to another place. Hope this helps https://github.com/devkitPro/installer/releases

Splosh96

Splosh
Years
  • Age 27
  • U.K
  • Seen Jun 1, 2019
Thanks Hacker L. that problem is sorted out. Now I have another problem haha, but I'll figure it out by myself.

Anywho, I'm just wondering if the information I have is correct and I'm not missing anything.

• You use Devkit Pro, along with (in my case) Mysy2 to make a Rom. Using also (pokeemerlad dissassebly, and ruby tools).

• Get Pory map to edit the towns etc.

• Have notepad ++ to add code into your Rom hack.

I guess the question I'm asking is:

Is there any other program I need?

Also again I'm sorry if my posts are annoying, I don't mean them to be. I am just finding this process hard.

Thanks,

Splosh.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2023
Thanks Hacker L. that problem is sorted out. Now I have another problem haha, but I'll figure it out by myself.

Anywho, I'm just wondering if the information I have is correct and I'm not missing anything.

• You use Devkit Pro, along with (in my case) Mysy2 to make a Rom. Using also (pokeemerlad dissassebly, and ruby tools).

• Get Pory map to edit the towns etc.

• Have notepad ++ to add code into your Rom hack.

I guess the question I'm asking is:

Is there any other program I need?

Also again I'm sorry if my posts are annoying, I don't mean them to be. I am just finding this process hard.

Thanks,

Splosh.

Nothing else besides maybe a book/website/videos on C programming if you want to add unique things to your romhack, (unique like Slawter's unique overworld sprites). Notepad ++ is good, (I've used it for about 6-7 years now), but in my opinion, VisualStudiocode is a better program to use for editing the files in pokeemerald. Hope this helps.

Back