• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [FIRE RED] National dex crashes the game - Needs help ASAP

Years
  • Long story short, i tried to open the national pokedex and it takes you to the dex page then the game crashes, music still runs but players can't input any command.
    Kanto pokedex is viewable though.

I have expanded the pokemon list of course, and i have checked that the pointer if it repoints to the correct offsets using Hex Editor.
    So what may causes this?

---
    I have expanded the pokemon and also arranged them manually, for example Pichu is listed as #25 dex then Pikachu #26 and so on.
    It would be stressful for me to go through that hell again, please send help!

Years
  • I had exactly the same issue some time ago. Make sure most Pokedex slots have Pokemon attached to them, and leave as few empty entries as possible. It worked in my case.
    EDIT: I HAVE FOUND THE EXACT SOLUTION! Just make sure Pokedex slots from 387 to 400 are not empty, just assign those useless Question Mark Pokemon to them and you're good to go! As far as I know it should work

Last edited:
    Years
  • I had exactly the same issue some time ago. Make sure most Pokedex slots have Pokemon attached to them, and leave as few empty entries as possible. It worked in my case.
    EDIT: I HAVE FOUND THE EXACT SOLUTION! Just make sure Pokedex slots from 387 to 400 are not empty, just assign those useless Question Mark Pokemon to them and you're good to go! As far as I know it should work

I can't open those ???? pokemon data using PGE, it crashes the moment i open the data.
    I headed to its Pokemon Order Editor and changes those ??? pokedex number from 0 to somewhere else.
    Still crashes though.

I am using Leon ROMbase as the base.
    Those ??? slots become immidiately uneditable once the ROM is patched with the ROMbase .ips

The error message is :
    Invalid Argument = Value of "0" is not valid for "SelectedIndex".
    Parameter name : SelectedIndex.

I don't understand what is happening though.
    As i can understand, EGG uses 0 as its pokedex number as well.
    And it still editable via PGE

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can't open those ???? pokemon data using PGE, it crashes the moment i open the data.
    I headed to its Pokemon Order Editor and changes those ??? pokedex number from 0 to somewhere else.
    Still crashes though.

I am using Leon ROMbase as the base.
    Those ??? slots become immidiately uneditable once the ROM is patched with the ROMbase .ips

The error message is :
    Invalid Argument = Value of "0" is not valid for "SelectedIndex".
    Parameter name : SelectedIndex.

I don't understand what is happening though.
    As i can understand, EGG uses 0 as its pokedex number as well.
    And it still editable via PGE

Hmm, how many Pokemon and Pokedex slots did you add? If the number of Pokemon slots is lower than the number of the Pokedex slots, that might be the problem. Still, I don't understand why PGE crashes when you select those ? Pokemon. Could be an issue with your rom's ini.

Years
  • Hmm, how many Pokemon and Pokedex slots did you add? If the number of Pokemon slots is lower than the number of the Pokedex slots, that might be the problem. Still, I don't understand why PGE crashes when you select those ? Pokemon. Could be an issue with your rom's ini.

I have a total of used 650+ slots of pokemon, an estimate 60+ slots for an upcoming Pokemon Sword Shield, also all the megas except Diance, Primal Groudon and Kyogre, also Mega Rayquaza.
    I don't believe the free slots have any effect with National Pokedex though. I patched Leon's ROMbase .ips to a clean Firered ROM, expanded it by 500, then added a Turtwig.
    National Pokedex could be opened, so it is in a perfect health.

I guess that i have corrupted some of the ROM a bit when i edit the Overworld via OWM ?
    You can't choose where you want to repoint the offset when you use it.
    And i frankly do not understand OWM perfectly.

I still have the backups though.
    So at least i have no need to start from scrap.
    But hell why this tears won't stop.

Years
  • I have a total of used 650+ slots of pokemon, an estimate 60+ slots for an upcoming Pokemon Sword Shield, also all the megas except Diance, Primal Groudon and Kyogre, also Mega Rayquaza.
    I don't believe the free slots have any effect with National Pokedex though. I patched Leon's ROMbase .ips to a clean Firered ROM, expanded it by 500, then added a Turtwig.
    National Pokedex could be opened, so it is in a perfect health.

I guess that i have corrupted some of the ROM a bit when i edit the Overworld via OWM ?
    You can't choose where you want to repoint the offset when you use it.
    And i frankly do not understand OWM perfectly.

I still have the backups though.
    So at least i have no need to start from scrap.
    But hell why this tears won't stop.

Well, at least I tried to help. Maybe this National Pokedex freeze could be caused by different reasons, so that's why my method didn't work. Sorry for taking your time and sorry about my solution not working.

Years
  • Alright, after several researching by comparing my backups and the current bugged National Pokedex ROM.
    I found the cause of my bugged National Pokedex is my Megas.
    I put all the megas as the Pokedex #0 so they won't show up in the National Pokedex.

So i tried to import all the Megas to my backup, this time uses the same Pokedex number as the non-Mega counterparts.
    Example : If Venusaur #3 then Mega Venusaur is set to #3 as well.
    The game sadly still crashed though.

So i again tried to import all the Megas, but this time they all use unused Pokedex number.
    Example : the slot after Deoxys
    And the National Pokedex is now healthy.

The problem : isn't inputting all the Megas to unused Pokedex Number makes them appear in the Pokedex?
    If you mega evolve a Venusaur, will the Pokedex classified the Mega Venusaur as catchable or seen or nothing at all?

Years
  • The problem : isn't inputting all the Megas to unused Pokedex Number makes them appear in the Pokedex?

Very weird. Like, very very weird. I have all Megas set to the Pokedex numbers of their non-Mega forms, and the National Dex still works great. Try this:
    Note: for this example, let's assume Mega Venusaur's in the Dex is 387

1) change Mega Venusaur's Dex Number from 387 to 3 (Venusaur's Dex number)
    2) take one of those question mark Pokemon, Egg or Unown forms and set its Dex number to 387
    3) check if National Dex works
    4) if it is, do all Megas one-by-one, always checking if the National Dex works

In my case, it does work. Hope it'll work for you as well.

Years
  • Very weird. Like, very very weird. I have all Megas set to the Pokedex numbers of their non-Mega forms, and the National Dex still works great. Try this:
    Note: for this example, let's assume Mega Venusaur's in the Dex is 387

1) change Mega Venusaur's Dex Number from 387 to 3 (Venusaur's Dex number)
    2) take one of those question mark Pokemon, Egg or Unown forms and set its Dex number to 387
    3) check if National Dex works
    4) if it is, do all Megas one-by-one, always checking if the National Dex works

In my case, it does work. Hope it'll work for you as well.

I have already done that, and National Pokedex still crashes.
    I myself do not really understand what happened though, i used Leon's ROMbase because i am too lazy to start all over again.
    Maybe it's because of it, the ROMbase itself is weird at some point, for example : i tried to edit the Pokedex Order Number and Pokedex Descriptions using Hex Editor.
    Everything is fine when i check it via PGE. But Pokedex both National and Local become graphic-glitched.
    The ROOST move within the ROMbase also crashes the game even though it uses the same script as RECOVER only with different animation.
    So .. well, i deduce that the fault is in the ROMbase itself.
    But it has everything prepared though, at least no need to start everything from scraps. So it's fine.

- CHECKED -
    You can mega evolve and these mega evolved Pokemons won't be considered as caught or seen even though you assign unused Pokedex Number into them.
    This also apply when facing opponent's mega evolved Pokemon. They won't be registered in Pokedex.
    I put all of them into the end of the Pokedex (#900) so to make room for Sword-Shield Pokemons.

Back