• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: [Hack of the Year 2017] - Pokémon Orange (GBC) [Suloku Patch] (Fin)

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    They're still working on it, it will more than likely be a while before its completed.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Yes, I am slowly working towards a release. I'd like to take my time since when I rush the quality of writing goes down considerably.

The community is currently in the heat of working on dex expansion, and I've been trying to contribute, as well as spriting the new Sword/Shield Pokemon that have been revealed. I haven't been sidetracked with any other projects but I do work full-time now and it's been eating up a lot of my time.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I dunno about adding any sword and shield pokemon yet, especially since we only know of one evolutionary line so far. I love the design of Rolycoaly but I think waiting to see what it evolves into might be smart (unless you plan on making fkemon evos to make up for it).

Speaking of I wonder if Duralodon has any pre-evolutions?

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I dunno about adding any sword and shield pokemon yet, especially since we only know of one evolutionary line so far. I love the design of Rolycoaly but I think waiting to see what it evolves into might be smart (unless you plan on making fkemon evos to make up for it).

Speaking of I wonder if Duralodon has any pre-evolutions?

Well, I didn't say I was adding any of them to Orange, just that there is an effort to get them sprited on the side like we did with XY and SuMo.

So far the 4ch leak has been 100% true so we can expect a farfetch'd evo possibly. I am looking to make room for any potential evolutions SwSh adds to Kanto Pokemon.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    my bad sorry I completely misunderstood what you were saying XP but yeah Farfetch'd needed that new evo as far back as Gen 2 if you ask me

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I've just finished playing through the current version and in case someone is still debating whether or not to play this ROM hack, here's my review of it.

Gameplay:
    The game at first seems like any other game with the GSC engine. There are, however, small changes that really spice things up, such as the introduction of Pokemon from generations beyond the 2nd, as well as Alolan forms of Pokemon. One feature I really appreciated while playing was the increased surfing speed; it's a small change most wouldn't bother with, bu has a huge quality of life effect as you'll be surfing most of the time while travelling from place to place. Gameplay, overall, was really enjoyable. 5/5

Difficulty:
    The levels of trainer's Pokemon ramp up noticeably quicker than in the official games. However, you're getting levels faster as well. Game is actually really balanced and one usually follows the level curve, with the exception of boss battles that are usually higher level than you. Speaking of which, this game's bosses may offer a challenge even to more experienced players. It took me a couple of tries to defeat some of them, but each time I just quickly reset and tried again, as victory seemed perfectly achievable, I just needed to plan my moves a bit better and have a little bit of luck. I'd rate this game's diffculty as 4/5; it's a bit challenging but never feels unfair to the player.

Map design:
    I couldn't wait to praise this one. Because you're constantly surfing over large bodies of water, finding a bunch of small islands on the way, it gives the map a very open-world feel. Despite have very little to go off of, each islands feels unique and has its own charm. The map has a very unique shape so you'll sometimes need to backtrack - which is fine as it breaks the linearity. It's one of the best maps I've ever seen in a ROM hack! 5/5

Visuals:
    So much can go wrong when making sprites of newer Pokemon for Gen 2. And I gotta say, most of the sprites look really nice; that being said, there are a couple of less nice ones, a consequence of Pokemon designs getting more complex over the years, thus making them harder to adapt for GBC. Same goes for the NPC sprites, from custom ones for the Orange crew to subtle changes to add a bit of charm like Brock wearing his anime clothes. Tileset has been changed a bit to give the whole thing a tropical look and while it's nothing mind-blowing, it does its job just fine. Overall, this hack is visually pleasant and distinct. 4/5

Sound:
    This hack bothered to change most of the original soundtrack and replaced it with GBC remixes of newer soundtracks. And, it might be just me, but hearing the Gen 3 music in a GBC game made me feel fuzzy inside. The remixes themselves are very good and there has clearly been an effort to make the game not only look good, but also sound good. 5/5

Closing words/Miscellaneous thoughts:
    As someone who has played many hacks over the years, I have to say, this is some top tier stuff. While it might not be my favorite hack of all time, I'd definitely put it among my top 5. This hack decided to rid itself of its Pokemon anime shackles in favor of being the game first and anime adaptation second which allowed it to become unique and more creative than most Orange Islands hacks. Also, you've mentioned that Pokemon Naranja inspired you to start hacking and, as someone who played through that classic years ago, I prefer this over Naranja - no thinking. Overall, this hack deserves a 5/5, if you like Pokemon ROM hacks, you must not miss out on this one.

Thank you for giving me a very enjoyable experience over the last couple of days. I can't wait for the full release! Keep up the good work!

Ace Trainer Blair

ROMhack Maniac
    Years
  • I love this romhack. I got up to the point where the game is unfinished, what I did play was outstanding. The quotes and references, the Pokemon choices for the Orange Islands, Pinkan Island, shiny pink Pokemon, I'm super looking forward to the next update. Great job!
    Oh yeah, also told a friend, and she wanted to play it too. 👍

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Thank you for the kind reviews guys, I am working hard for the next update. I just ran through the HotYN patch and geez the game feels completely different already.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • There's a Discard channel for this game? Where can I get a link?

Edit: Found it on page 15

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2022
    sorry if this has been asked already but how do i evolve alolan vulpix? i found the icy rock in naval cave and leveled there, and it didnt work

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2020
    Hi Pia,

Congratulations on this amazing game, it is a great achievement :)

Do you know if Togekiss will be included in this game or maybe it is already included?

If so, do you know what level Togetic evolves into Togekiss or how we can evolve it?

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Hi Pia,

Congratulations on this amazing game, it is a great achievement :)

Do you know if Togekiss will be included in this game or maybe it is already included?

If so, do you know what level Togetic evolves into Togekiss or how we can evolve it?

It is in the game, it evolves with a Shiny Stone.

Last edited:
    Back