• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking For Some Team Advice; I'm Susceptible To Mudsdale

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2019
    Hi everyone, I was looking for some advice with my team.

I have dabbled in competitive batlting in the past but I seem to be doing it a lot more in Gen 8.

I recently took part in the Galar Beginnings competition. On the Saturday I managed to win 14 out of 15 matches and ended up at 600 and something as my place. However on Sunday I lost quite a few matches so my score went back down lol.

I found I seem to be particularly susceptible to Mudsdale as a couple of those I struggled to get through and lots of my Pokemon are susceptible to ground moves.

I am thinking of adding either a flying type or a Pokemon with levitate. I am thinking either Rotom-W or Corviknight.

I am mainly doing single battles at the moment but I will do more doubles in the future, I just want to get more used to battling first.

Here is my current team:

Excadrill @Focus Sash
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 A, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Jolly

- Swords Dance
    -Rock Slide
    - Iron Head
    - Earthquake

Dragapult @Expert Belt
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 Sp. A, 252 Speed
    Timid

- Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - U-turn (not really that useful and might change especially as it uses A rather than Sp. A)

Tyranitar @Weakness Policy
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. D, 4 Def
    Careful

- Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch

Toxapex @Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 D, 4 Sp. D
    Bold

- Scald
    - Recover
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Haze

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barb
    EVs: 252 HP, 24 D, 232 Sp. D
    Sassy

- Power Whip
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Gyro Ball

Mimikyu @Life Orb
    Ability: Disguise
    EVs: 252 A, 252 Speed
    Adamant

- Swords Dance
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Play Rough
    - Shadow Claw

Years
  • Looking at this, you're definitely weak to Earthquake. I think Mimikyu is the one to replace here probably and I think Corviknight might be the one for you to go with so try it out.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Looking at this, you're definitely weak to Earthquake. I think Mimikyu is the one to replace here probably and I think Corviknight might be the one for you to go with so try it out.

I second this. Everything you've got to counter Mudsdale is weak to Earthquake, so it doesn't really work out. I wouldn't go with Corviknight due to it being a Physical attacker and not working well with Mudsdale's Stamina ability.

I'd recommend either Gastdoron, or Rotom-W (as you suggested). Gyarados is a good contender, too, but being a Physical attacker will make it struggle against Mudsdale.

EDIT: Completely forgot Pelliper! He fulfils Gyarados's typing, but is a Special Attacker.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I second this. Everything you've got to counter Mudsdale is weak to Earthquake, so it doesn't really work out. I wouldn't go with Corviknight due to it being a Physical attacker and not working well with Mudsdale's Stamina ability.

I'd recommend either Gastdoron, or Rotom-W (as you suggested). Gyarados is a good contender, too, but being a Physical attacker will make it struggle against Mudsdale.

EDIT: Completely forgot Pelliper! He fulfils Gyarados's typing, but is a Special Attacker.

Is Mudsdale really that common though? I don't do in-game competitive so I'm only familiar with how things go on Smogon.
    Gyarados can OHKO Mudsdale with Waterfall I'm fairly sure, so Stamina shouldn't matter unless it's already got 2-3 boosts off - and if it does you did something wrong.
    Pelipper's main use is on rain teams, it's wasted here.

If you really have Mudsdale issues, go with Rotom-W, Gastrodon or Gyarados.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Is Mudsdale really that common though? I don't do in-game competitive so I'm only familiar with how things go on Smogon.
    Gyarados can OHKO Mudsdale with Waterfall I'm fairly sure, so Stamina shouldn't matter unless it's already got 2-3 boosts off - and if it does you did something wrong.
    Pelipper's main use is on rain teams, it's wasted here.

If you really have Mudsdale issues, go with Rotom-W, Gastrodon or Gyarados.

Mudsdale was used in roughly 5% of teams in the latest VGC tournament, so it's not that common, but it'd still be nice for them to use a counter to ground types.

Back