• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to the vgc comp scene

BlackWolv

Breeding Star
Years
  • So, I am just starting out in VGC. I'm usually a breeder and know the ins and outs of that. but when it comes to competitive battling i am a total newb. I'd like to work a team around Rhyperior and Sylveon. maybe Appletun too. but i don't know where to start or how to use a team for comp. I was wondering if anyone has rental codes they could offer for me to get the hang of battling or recommendations for additional teammates that benefit those three mons?

I was thinking, Rhyperior for the dynamax btw.

UlrickVGCMasters

UlrickVGCMasters
    Years
  • So, I am just starting out in VGC. I'm usually a breeder and know the ins and outs of that. but when it comes to competitive battling i am a total newb. I'd like to work a team around Rhyperior and Sylveon. maybe Appletun too. but i don't know where to start or how to use a team for comp. I was wondering if anyone has rental codes they could offer for me to get the hang of battling or recommendations for additional teammates that benefit those three mons?

I was thinking, Rhyperior for the dynamax btw.

Hi BlackWolv What you are planning to do sounds like an extremely powerful team. Rhyperior shines best with a trick room team. If you want to create a team with both of those two pokemon doing it from scratch you can Put Dusclops, torkoal, Rhyperior, Sylveon, rotom mow, Dragapult.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    The best and coolest way it by testing out different teams. You can google any teambuilder and check out what areas you should cover.
    Look at other battles and remember to have fun! Battling random players is often easier than you expect.

Ranko

Aloof Unmoving Maiden
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2023
    HeyHey! Welcome to VGC!

For your team, a lot of slow Pokemon are already in consideration, so Trick Room would be very strong and I'd recommend at least one user of Trick Room. You don't have to make a hard Trick Room team and can go for balanced by the way, as having the ability to control opposing teams with Tailwind/Trick Room is very useful no matter what's on your team. Dusclops, Mummy, Mimikyu, Oranguru come to mind, and Dusclops/Oranguru infamously can trigger Rhyperior's Weakness Policy with Bulldoze to make it unwallable.

Afterwards, alternative methods to Trick Rooming turn one may help. Think about different type synergies and strategies you have in mind if like for example, you're fighting a team that can shut it down turn one, and make sure you have multiple different ideas for lead strategies. Imo, a lot of games can be won and lost depending on the first two Pokemon sent out. Try not to pidgeon-hole yourself into a weird set-up if for example, they have too many Water types and you can't send in Rhyperior and don't have an alternate gameplan.

A lot of the game will require you to lose to learn what teams and what Pokemon are popular, so it's important to practice and adjust!

Hope this helps, good luck~ Here's a rental team that could help you get started if you just wanna throw yourself into a fight quickly.

Attachments

• rankoteam1.jpg
      rankoteam1.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 3
    • rankoteam2.jpg
      rankoteam2.jpg
      123.5 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    One other thing that is of use is to look at usage statistics. When making a team, you want to know what the common threats are, what they most often use, who their most common teammates are, etc. Preparing for what's meta goes a long way towards success. You'll eventually pick up on some of what's common just by battling, but it doesn't hurt to have a little data on hand either. It may even give you ideas on what to do with some of your 'mons.

This would be one such site with VGC stats for SwSh: https://pikalytics.com/pokedex/ss

UlrickVGCMasters

UlrickVGCMasters
    Years
  • HeyHey! Welcome to VGC!

For your team, a lot of slow Pokemon are already in consideration, so Trick Room would be very strong and I'd recommend at least one user of Trick Room. You don't have to make a hard Trick Room team and can go for balanced by the way, as having the ability to control opposing teams with Tailwind/Trick Room is very useful no matter what's on your team. Dusclops, Mummy, Mimikyu, Oranguru come to mind, and Dusclops/Oranguru infamously can trigger Rhyperior's Weakness Policy with Bulldoze to make it unwallable.

Afterwards, alternative methods to Trick Rooming turn one may help. Think about different type synergies and strategies you have in mind if like for example, you're fighting a team that can shut it down turn one, and make sure you have multiple different ideas for lead strategies. Imo, a lot of games can be won and lost depending on the first two Pokemon sent out. Try not to pidgeon-hole yourself into a weird set-up if for example, they have too many Water types and you can't send in Rhyperior and don't have an alternate gameplan.

A lot of the game will require you to lose to learn what teams and what Pokemon are popular, so it's important to practice and adjust!

Hope this helps, good luck~ Here's a rental team that could help you get started if you just wanna throw yourself into a fight quickly.

Aweeeesomeee team by the way

Back