• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Gmax Charizard w/ Blaze, recommended set?

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2021
    I just happened to get a shiny Gmax Charizard in a random raid earlier today. It doesn't have Solar Power sadly, just Blaze. Anyone have good set ideas despite it's ability? Thanks!

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I just happened to get a shiny Gmax Charizard in a random raid earlier today. It doesn't have Solar Power sadly, just Blaze. Anyone have good set ideas despite it's ability? Thanks!

You could probably just use the same set as a Solar Power one. You won't get the bigger benefit from sun though.
    Smogon suggests Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Hurricane, Solar Beam and Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse with max EVs in SpAtt and Spd.

Years
  • Heavily disagree with the above mentioned Solar Power set - mainly just due to hurricane. Goes down to 50% accuracy in the sun, and is trash accuracy to begin with.

This is a slightly modified set from the team which won the Dallas regionals which I use:

Charizard-Gmax @ Charti Berry
    Ability: Blaze
    Level: 50
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Heat Wave
    - Solar Beam
    - Air Slash
    - Protect

The main difference is the EV investment and Nature.

Charizard normally run Timid, 252 speed to ensure they move first. However, given the prevalence of tailwind, and the ability to boost your speed with Max Airstream, I find this set works better due to:

- Only needing one max airstream boost to outspeed max speed dragapult
    - The extra bulk in HP pairs nicely with dynamax, and helping survivability paired with your charti berry

Bear in mind this is a doubles set, and pairs very nicely with fake tears / tailwind whimsicott.

Hope this helps!

Years
  • The only reason you'd run Hurricane with this is for a bigger Max Airstream. Also, the reason I don't use G-Max Charizard is it's inability to provide it's own Sun. So Solar Beam isn't that good here unless you have something else providing Sun.

Back