• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Fool's Gold: A hack of Crystal where everything is familiar, yet different...

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 24, 2020
When I posted this on reddit, a user there said I should also post it here, so... here it is!

Pokémon Fool's Gold is a Pokémon Crystal ROM hack where everything is familiar, yet different...

We've been working on this as a side project since about January 26, 2019. I know it's not super impressive compared to a lot of the amazing projects shared here, but as Pokémon fans who don't really have programming experience but grew up playing Pokémon ROM hacks we wanted to have fun and make one together, and we're really proud of the end result!

In this game, all of the Pokémon have been reworked... think Alolan/Galarian forms, for all the Pokémon. All 251 Pokémon are available in-game without trading. We've reworked all of the trainers and wild encounters to fit as well. In addition, there have been a few visual tweaks, and we've added a few new places to explore, too!

The story is all the same as vanilla Pokémon Crystal, so the experience is similar, but with the new Pokémon designs.

Here's the trailer: youtu.be/4UBiwAW_Ut8
And if you have any questions or just want to check it out, the code for our discord server is xMA9Udq.

FEATURES
  • All 251 Pokémon redesigned, with new types and movesets to fit
  • All wild encounter data changed, to better fit the new designs to the environments
  • All Pokémon available without trading, including trade evolutions and starters
  • A variety of aesthetic changes to the overworld
  • A few new optional areas to explore
  • Shiny rate raised to 1/1028... we wanted everyone to at least run into one shiny throughout their playthrough
  • A few new moves, both from other Pokémon games and original moves

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:

CREDITS
Fool's Gold Team:
  • Max / kingbigb0y
  • Revé/ froqpond
  • Gaby/ g.eeb
  • Amanda/ hamandswiss
  • Joe / celadonk
And a huge thanks to pret and the people on the pret discord for creating the pokecrystal disassembly and helping out with any questions I had!

Here's the patch: drive.google.com/open?id=1QJbMI26C0cX8va2Fi95WLesr5QarwMiW
And if you have any questions or want to report any issues, be sure to join the Discord server! (Code is xMA9Udq)

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I'm truly surprised that nobody has commented on this! I just applied my patch and started playing! I picked the Ice type cyndaquil. I love how you've given each Pokémon a brand new design while making them still feel familiar! It would be really dope if a patch with the running shoes or a difficultly increase could be released to spice things up! Congrats on the release!

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
This looks interesting and I'll have to try it at some point. I second the notion that there should be some kind of hard version if the difficulty hasn't been touched. The original game is way too easy.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 24, 2020
To answer the questions about difficulty... the game should be slightly harder (but not too much!). Most of the gym leaders have more Pokemon than they originally did and the Elite Four and Champion have a bit higher level Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 19, 2020
This game looks dope! The sprites look really well done and the overworld changes are a plus as well. I really think this is a perfect idea for a hack that doesn't have a new region or story but a familiar one we've all played through. This slight twist alone is going to make the game all that much enjoyable for me and others I hope. Definitely playing through it. Great job.

P.S - This might be the game I complete my Pokedex in.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Starting to play yesterday, I enjoyed it GG

I really liked the idea, although not every new designs convicted me.

But there's a thing that I did not enjoyed, a really huge problem that could mine the experience
You did very well with the Typing, the evos and the new moveset..... except for the TM/HMs...

A few Examples: why a Shellder who is not not a water Type could still learn Surf, while Drowzee not although is a Water type in this game?

For now it's 7/10, Hope that you could fix this problem

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen yesterday
For some of the evolution stones, like Weepinbell into Victreebel, are they the same or is there a different method?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
During the Janine battle, when Flareon uses "Revelation," the game immediately cuts to the following message, "This Game Pak is designed only for use on the Game Boy Color." I consider that a crash. I assume Revelation is a bugged move.

Years
  • Age 50
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I'm really loving this ROM hack. I can tell that this was made with love and care. I'm a big fan of differently typed Pokemon. So I'm all about rediscovering these Pokemon with their new sprites/types. It's like playing the game again for the first time. I love that feeling!

I've only made it up to the Day Care, but all the Pokemon designs I've seen so far are quality sprite work. Pidgey is a favorite of mine just because their stickman legs make me smile every time I see them. I hope I can find a Rattata... I've wanted one since I saw the tutorial trainer catch one. I'll definitely be putting my time in to Catch 'Em All on this one!

My compliments to everyone associated with this hack. This makes me happy. Thanks for this!

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Great hack so far. Did you change any base stats? For example, mareep line is changed to a physical type, but seems to still retain it's special atk/def base stats.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Gotta keep this in my watch list. It has quite a few promising things. It's like a completely new Johto.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 24, 2020
Hey, sorry, I don't really use Pokecommunity so I haven't been diligent about checking here. So to respond to some of the feedback...

To Danidark97, who asked about TMs and HMs, we have fixed these up for a near future update. (There's just one big bug to get out of the way and then it'll be up.)

To aicaimze, who asked about the new tiles, some of them are from scratch but most of them are adapted from either the Gen 3 games or the Spaceworld 97 demo.

To Gbcplayer, who asked how to catch Mew... You will know where to go once you enter Kanto for the first time. Bring Mewtwo. ;)

To Persondynamo2222, who asked if the evolutions are the same or not, some of them are the same and some are not. Trade evos have been removed. Here's a Google spreadsheet with information: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TphQvTjq8t77EKZAcPRRxdg91Q0UlFoBObdq2RM11GE/edit?usp=sharing (Check the page labeled "Evo Methods")

To SevenChurches, who asked about Revelation crashing, this is a known bug that has been fixed for 1.1 (bug fix update)

To PorygonDebugger... thank you <3

To Sanmyth, who asked about base stat changes... There have been a few minimal changes. Mostly not special/physical stuff. However, the physical/special split has been implemented for the 1.1 update and we are planning to rework some of the movesets to account for this.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I absolutely enjoying my playthrough currently! Although I do want to ask if I'll be able to catch a fire type anytime soon? I'm already 4 badges in and I'm yet to come across a fire type. Thanks!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
You can get Corsola right at the start on route 46. With 1.1 it's not as rare anymore.

Back