• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Journal] gimmegaming

Years
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Chapter Two
    I had a shorter play session to day, but I made some decent progress. I arrived at Kashyyk and proceeded to immediately hijack an AT-AT walker and use it to blow the shit out of the empire forces that were in the process of attacking the rebellion forces there. After doing so, I met Saw (the guy from Rogue One) who enlisted my help in attacking the Empire refinery and liberating the wookies being held captive there. I did so, fighting my way through new enemies like security droids and purge troopers in the process before finally fighting my way through the boss battle of this segment - a security droid, two flamethrower troopers (hate these guys), a bunch of regular trooper plebs and another AT-ST. This proved a little difficult because of the flamethrowers, but after a few tries I mastered the art of butchering them before they could set me on fire. It's back to Zeffo next.

In more important news, my boy Cal now has a badass twin-bladed orange lightsaber with a copper-coloured (not the copper material though, it's some sort of titanium iirc) hilt and it looks epic. As it turns out, I actually have access to the premium content which I did not realise at fist.

I'm definitely getting the hang of the combat better now. It's not without challenges, and I'm playing the standard difficulty (fuck trying this on hard mode), but more and more I feel like a kickass Jedi in combat and not cannon fodder lol. It's definitely taking me fewer attempts to beat boss battles now and most regular enemies can hardly touch me. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Years
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Chapter Three
    I returned to Zeffo to investigate the newly discovered tomb only to find the empire back and swarming all over again. For the most part, this wasn't a problem. Then I ran into the Second Sister, who turned out to indeed be Trilla (Cere's former Padawan) and she kicked the shit out of me for several rounds before I eventually managed to get past her with some help from BD-1. After that I fought through an onslaught of different troopers and probe droids to discover the secret of the tomb - I need to find a Zeffo device called an Astrium to open to Holocron vault... unfortunately this leaves the vault open for Trilla.

On the way out, I was intercepted by a bounty hunter called Bing and captured as retribution for Greez's gambling habits. I was then forced to fight in a gladiatorial arena. Walking out to kickass music by The Hu and mowing down a bunch of enemies who used to be a problem before demolishing Bing felt amazing. After that Greez and Cere rescued me and we set course for Kashyyk again to meet with Tarful... but not before a tense (but averted) conversation about Cere's past and Greez's problem.

Still not a fan of how much backtracking the game requires, but other than that I'm enjoying it a lot. The characters are solid, the gameplay is challenging but fun and the story itself is compelling. There's not really anything ground-breaking going on, but there doesn't need to be.

Years
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Chapter Four
    I got to be a parkour god travelling up to the origin tree today. Not a lot to be said about the story here for the most part, the first third of this segment is just leaping and sprinting through the tree tops and hacking your way through gigantic bugs to eventually reach Tarful. From there, I got the ability to travel underwater and used that to get to the base of the tree. Climbing the tree was a lot of fun I have to admit. The setting is really pretty, the chase down the mud ramps when the 9th Sister is after you is really fun and you get to ride a giant dragon bird. Very fun.

At the top of the three, I was able to learn that I can get an Astrium back in the Dathomir temple I couldn't access before. So, that's going to be rough. I'm looking forward to seeing if I have an easier time of that earlier segment now though. Of course, I couldn't just leave with the info. First, I had to fight the 9th Sister.

The fight was fun mostly, but also really hard and sometimes kind of bullshit. Her saber throw is really hard to dodge and she sometimes does combos while you're on the ground that are almost impossible to deal with. When things are going well though, it's as Star Wars as it gets. You feel the struggle but also powerful. Then it's back to feeling overwhelmed and frustrated again :'). It took me a few hours to actually beat her, felt pretty good when I did but god damn. This is almost immediately followed by a second boss fight with more bounty hunters. There was no being dragged to an arena for me this time though since this fight was much, much easier than the 9th sister. I kicked the crap out of them. Getting back to the ship also felt much less bullshit this time which was nice.

After all that, Cere opened up more about her past. Things are still a bit tense with her and Kal, but I think they're on the mend. Onwards to Dathomir... again... yay?

Years
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Chapter Five
    I got to Dathomir and fought my way through all the old enemies - Zabraki nightbrothers, big bugs and the like. Then I was forced into a fight with a gigantic bat thing called a Golgoro (I think) which wasn't too hard really but felt intense as hell because there's a segment where you're freefalling and trying to land on top of it repeatedly. That bit took a few tries. Afterwards I made it back to the temple but Cal had a bad time there getting thrown into a memory of Order 66 and his master's death that resulted in him accidentally breaking his lightsaber. I fled the temple only to run into Malakos (the old man from before), revealed to be a fallen Jedi who had been manipulating Merrin (the nightsister who attacked me before). Merrin discovered his betrayal and got very angry, sicking a horde of angry zombies on us both and forcing me to run because I was defenceless without a weapon.

Cal had a bit of a breakdown after that, but Cere helped him through it and they seem to have patched things up as a result. She took me to Ilum where I entered the temple through a bunch of hazards and rebuilt my lightsaber using pieces of my old one and Cere's old saber too. It looks basically the same as it did before (by choice) but now it can split in half and be two single-bladed lightsabers, be a dual-bladed saber or be used as one single bladed lightsaber. Woot, versatility. The empire found us after that, so I butchered my way through some stormtroopers with my fancy new weapon and cut down a pair of AT-STs (remember when just one of those was scary) while I was at it.

After that, it was time to return to Dathomir again. I fought my way through the zombies (and Cal's inner demons ayy) and came across Merrin again. She let me past and after that it was time to fight Malakos. He was a tough fight, but Merrin came to my aid and together we defeated him. I then took the Astrium and Merrin joined the crew. It was then time to return to Bogano to get the holocron... but not before Merrin pointed out maybe it would be better not to find the kids it listed since that would make them targets of the Empire.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out, although I have my suspicions.

Years
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Chapter Six
    Welp. That's it.

I returned to Bogano to retrieve the Holocron, and was treated to a series of horrible visions of what awaited Cal if he made use of it and then a boss fight with Trilla that led to her stealing it ad escaping. From there, Cere and Cal decided to go after it and went to Nur, the Inquisitor HQ. The infiltration was not exactly subtle, I was immediately bombarded with both regular stormtroopers and purge troopers as well as security droids. I had to flood the facility to move on, but that just lead to another gauntlet of troopers and droids. Just wave after wave after wave.

Things did not get easier after that. It was another difficult boss fight with Trilla that I barely made it through and then fucking Darth Vader shows up and, even though I knew it was coming, I just about exploded from a bizarre mixture of joy and fear. Vader isn't even a boss fight, you just have to run for your god damn life and, in the end, I just barely escaped with the holocron. In the end, after all that though, Cal decides he can't subject the kids listed to being hunted like he just was and he destroys the holocron.

I could see why that ending would put some people off, but it made sense. After Cal experienced those visions and Trilla and Vader, how the hell could he justify tracking those force sensitives down? The story was never really about the holocron anyway. It was about Cal and Cere coming to terms with their losses and properly rejoining the fight. So, over all, I'm really happy with the story. It wasn't groundbreaking, like I've said, but it was very solid. I liked it a lot.

Throughout the gameplay was extremely hard, to the point that early Dathomir wasn't even fun it was just frustrating as hell. I'm glad I stuck with it though because I did get more used to it over time and despite the insane difficulty, I enjoyed it. I will not be playing on hard mode though. Fuck that. The mechanics felt natural and the combat made sense. The way enemies moved about was annoying though because of how much you had to adjust the camera. A degree of auto correction would have been nice. A few elements of some fights did feel kind of bullshit, mostly when sabers were thrown or the camera fucked me, but by and large it felt fair. The puzzles were tricky too, but far from unsolvable with some poking around and I enjoyed the environmental hazards.

Graphically the game was great. The environments were detailed and stunning and the characters all looked fantastic. I will say that the movement could get stuck sometimes in certain places (mostly combat unfortunately) but it was a rare occurrence that was probably more my fault than the games because the difficulty made me cautious, so I stayed at the edges a lot.

The sound track was great. It was very Star Wars, blending into with the rest of the franchise's sound as we know it. The addition of the Hu during the intro and arena was different, but clever and I liked it a lot. They're a great band.

I recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of Star Wars. The difficulty was almost too much for me at times, but if I can manage it with persistence, most people probably can. And if you just want to enjoy the story and feeling like a Jedi, there's always story mode which reduces the difficulty. I'd also recommend the game to anyone who likes darksouls lmao.

Story: 7/10
    Visuals: 8/10
    Soundtrack: 8/10
    Gameplay: 8/10
    Total Score: 31/40

Years
  • Imposter Factory - Chapter One
    So, I could probably play this game in one setting since it's only like 3.5-4 hours long. I have decided though to play each of its three acts over a few days because I have a bunch of other stuff I want/need to squeeze in to a day right now.

That being said, not a lot happens in this chapter. There's even less in the way of mechanics in Act 1 than even other Freebird Games. So far, it's been walking through various... scenarios and watching Quincy start to slowly unravel. I must say though, despite the blood and guts, it really does still feel very much like the other Freebird games I've played with its weird mix of drama, humour and now also horror elements. Suffice to say, the writing is still very good and I am very intrigued, especially since Lynri's actions near the end of the act make certain things seem quite likely.

While graphically it hasn't been as impressive as To the Moon or Finding Paradise yet, the style is still really good. Freebird continues to be at the top limits of what I feel pixel graphics can do. The lavender field is the stand out scene thus far. The music is fantastic though. It feels like a mix of Hitchock films and Corpse Party.

I am excited for playing Act 2 tomorrow. Especially now that we seem to have the curious introduction of something that looks quite familiar at the top of the screen.

Years
  • Imposter Factory - Chapter Two
    Oops, I'm a day late.

It's so hard to actually talk about this game without giving spoilers god damn it. I'll say this much, all of my previous suspicions were indeed correct. This is, in fact, a prequel and an origin story. The story has taken so many beautiful but also dark and fucked up turns that I now have no idea what the hell to expect from Act 3 and I'm here for it. Usually these games have some sort of bittersweet ending, and I'm really holding out for that hint of sweetness right now because holy shit.

The game definitely has a slow start, and it shifts pretty dramatically on tone into Act 2 in a lot of ways. Weirdly, this is darker than the option with all the murder in some ways. After the slow beginnings though, Freebird work their usualy magic and I am now supremely invested in these characters and their story. I have so many questions. I need to know more.

Realistically, I'm not sure if this game will top Finding Paradise, but it is at least as good as To the Moon - which is saying a lot. As always, these games have a lot of themes that resonate very strongly with me. It's some very powerful story telling, even if there's basically no mechanics at all in Imposter Factory (but this makes a lot of metanarrative sense).

Years
  • Imposter Factory - Chapter Three
    What the fuck? Somehow, despite being completely right, I was also completely wrong. This game just managed to simultaneously be a prequel and a sequel. What the fuck? All those Schrodinger's Cat references were genius and so very fitting.

AND THE IMPLICATIONS! Not just for what was achieved in the ending, but from the post credits scene? What do you mean episode X? WHAT DO YOU MEAN FREEBIRD?!

I just... where do these people get off writing this well? This started so slow, and I was worried it wouldn't hold up, now I'm sitting here going "well shit, this really does compete with Finding Paradise." Not only was this game an emotional rollercoaster, it was a mindfuck. Well-played. I admit though, sometimes they took the mood whiplash too far. There were jokes or tonal shifts that did not belong.

The pixel art over all was still a step behind Finding Paradise, but the mix of painted stuff thrown in balanced that out nicely. The soundtrack is a chameleon, constantly shifting genre and tone, but it work perfectly for what the game is. I think that I did like the music of the previous instalments more though.

Such a good game though. I think this entire trilogy is in my top 10 list somehow lmao. Even the greater absence of mechanics was clever.

Edit: In hindsight, while the environments weren't as appealing, the pixel animations actually were a step up. They were so expressive and I didn't give them enough credit.

Story: 9/10
    Visuals: 10/10
    Soundtrack: 8/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Total Score: 34/40

Last edited:
    Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter One
    Well, I've had this game in my library doing nothing for four years. About time to actually play it.

What an eventful day Max had! An ordinary class where she underperformed to open the day, followed up watching Nathan lose his fucking mind and shoot Chloe. Oh and then she learned she could rewind time. Max proceded to use said time powers to save Chloe's life by setting off the fire alarm (and to do better in the class she fucked up before) and reported Nathan's gun... which the principal promptly ignored. In fact, he was happy to tell Max's mother that she was making very serious false claims. Lovely guy. Not at all bought out by Nathan's family.

Following that dramatic escapade, it was time for some more mundane time-fuckery. Max had to go back to her dorm to get a flashdrive for Warren. Victoria didn't want to let Max into her dorm, so she arranged to have her splattered with paint and then was nice to her. Victoria kindly let Max past and even deleted the bitchy photo she took of her when she was asked to move the first time! You'd think she wasn't all bad, except Max then had to immediately dig up proof that Victoria had set it up to look like Dana was making moves on Juliett's boyfriend just to get access to Dana's room where the flashdrive was... because Dana took it without asking.

Mission accomplished, but on the way back Max ran into another problem. The asshole security guard was grilling local chaste girl Kate about some shit. Max took a photo for evidence but didn't step in, which Kate was pissed about. Apparently, this decision will have consequences. But really, what the fuck was Max going to do besides make the scary psychopath pissed at her too? The photo is more useful. I hope the game doesn't punish Max too hard for making a logical choice. This is the one decision I had Max make that I'm not totally sure was correct, but oh well.

It sure punished her for ratting out Nathan! He attacked her in the carpark, beat up Warren and forced her to make a quick get away with Chloe, who was luckily on the scene. What followed was an awkward car ride on the way back to Chloe's house to hopefully, but probably not, patch things up and fix the camera.

I'm liking the game so far. Victoria seems cartoonishly bitchy - but so do some actual people I've met lmao. For the most part, the characters feel very real so far. Maybe a bit tropey, but not to an uncomfortable level or anything. Max is fairly relatable and is likable enough so far, same for Warren. Jury is still out on Chloe. Nathan is... an interesting case. I pity him, he's clearly losing his mind under social pressure or something, but also he did murder Chloe in cold blood in the original timeline so... yeah. I feel like all the missing posters for this Rachel girl are going to become important - they are everywhere. The game is not at all subtle with them. If this is a red herring, I'm not sure if I'll be impressed or annoyed. I look forward to seeing how everything pieces together and if the tornado from the beginning really factors in. Given the prequel's title, I feel like it probably will lol.

Good game so far! I'm glad I decided to finally get around to it. I think I'm about half-through the first episode now.

Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter Two
    Max and Chloe hung out for a bit, but shit got awkward quick when they started talking about how Max ghosted her. It got even more tense with the reveal that the missing girl, Rachel, was Chloe's girlfriend - or maybe just super close friend. It's a bit vague. Chloe asked to be left alone for a while, so Max went down to the garage to find tools to fix her camera. She also did some snooping (and saved a bird's life) and discovered that David (the asshole security guard from her school) is Chloe's step father, that he was spying on students (including the one he hassled) and also his family (via secret cameras in the house). He seems very paranoid, he's got a doomsday prepper-like stockpile of canned food and a lot of guns.

Max went back upstairs and couldn't fix her camera, but did salvage her photos. This included one that demonstrated she had been there when Nathan attacked Chloe and was responsible for saving her life. That made getting a long smoother, and they bonded - until David showed up. He busted into Chloe's room and found her weed, but Max claimed it was hers. David threatened to kill Max if she ever came back to the house (charming) but didn't do anything other than threaten. After that, Chloe and Max escaped to through the window and went to hang out at the lighthouse.

At the lighthouse, Chloe explained that Nathan had drugged her, and she'd woken up with him crawling towards her with a camera (implying some very fucked up shit) and that she'd been trying to blackmail him over that when he pulled the gun on her. So... my pity for Nathan has been replaced entirely with disgust. Immediately after that, Max flashed to the future with the tornado again and came back in a very freaked out state, worrying Chloe. she told Chloe the truth about the time powers, Chloe was forced to believe her but some sudden snow that shouldn't have been there seems to have helped convince her.

End episode 1. Looking forward to seeing how the rest plays out.

Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter Three
    Episode Two begins!

Things kicked off with Max... getting ready for the day. Okay that wasn't super exiting an open, but the music was good and I did like the visual storytelling in her room. It seems to be the day after the events of Episode One, which makes sense given the timeline. After Max got up, she met Kate in the bathroom and they had a tense but amicable discussion about the encounter with David the previous day. After that, Max overheard Victoria and one of her cult followers - I mean friends harassing Kate about a video of Kate out clubbing and then discussing it themselves. They left a link to the video on the mirror, but Max cleaned it off. When she went to talk to Kate about it after, she discovered that Kate had likely been a victim of Nathan's the same way Chloe had. Perhaps Rachel experienced something similar, but that doesn't explain something that comes up later. Kate asked Max if she should go to the police, but Max advised against it for the time being. There's no proof other than a damning video, it'd likely just get Kate into even deeper trouble. The graffiti in Max's room, gun-toting crazy the previous day and threatening messages from an anonymous person (Nathan or one of his friends I assume) and also Nathan's father make me think that was the right call.

After that, Max met Chloe at the diner where her mum works and they had breakfast together. Max gave a few demonstrations of her powers but experienced a brief nosebleed as a result this time. Chloe insisted on using the powers for more trivial shit despite this clear indicator of it being a bad idea and got pissy with Max on the way out because she delayed for a moment to answer a call from Kate.

Max and Chloe went to ang out at a scrap yard and Chloe decided shooting bottles with the gun she stole from David while drinking was a good idea. She insisted on having Max use her time fuckery to make sure no shots were missed, which made Max pass out and, bleed from the nose and have tornado visions again. Good job Chloe. The shooting got the attention of Frank, Chloe's weed dealer (who lent her money), who threatened them at knife point. Max pulled the gun on him but didn't shoot, so he took the gun and threatened to use it on them later if Chloe didn't pay up.

The girls took a walk and decided to decompress and chat... while laying on some train tracks. Genius. Max went to take a photo but had more storm flashes and got all dazed. When she came to, Chloe had managed to get stuck on the tracks and a train was approaching. Thanks to more time bending shenanigans, Max managed to save Chloe - barely. But yikes. Then it was time to head back to school.

So... we're starting to see some repercussions/downsides to using Max's powers now which is interesting. Chloe is... making herself hard to like. She has some genuinely fucked circumstances and some really heartwarming moments with Max, but she's too willing to make bad decisions and get angry with Max for making better ones. She seems kind of selfish but at least having her life saved seems to have mended the rift between them for now. Warren is pitiable but likeable and Max continues to be a likeable protagonist. I feel particularly bad for Kate. Sometimes characters seem a bit tropey, but they're mostly well-written. I'm eager to see the various mysteries of different scales come together as the story continues.

The one thing that does grate on my nerves sometimes is the dialogue though. Every now and then a character will say something that sounds very antiquated (because the slang has aged poorly), like someone trying too hard to make characters seem like teenagers or like something nobody has ever actually said out loud. It doesn't happen super often, but when it does it is irksome.

Some things I'm liking a lot though (beyond the story in general), are the game's usage of symbolism (even if it isn't super subtle) and the soundtrack - extending to the clever way it is integrated through the characters actively listening to music.

Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter Four
    Max explored the school for a bit, got sniped at by some Vortex Club bitch and then saw Kate talking to their photography and art teacher. He was not at all helpful to her and she ran off, refusing to talk to Max on the way. After that, Max talked to the teacher briefly, but was hesitant to give him any private information because things with Kate were already rocky and he really didn't seem that useful. A brief stop to Warren's class to fail at helping him with an experiment was made before it was time for Max's class to begin...

and abruptly be cancelled because Nathan (ew) ran in and told everyone some crazy shit was happening. That crazy shit happened to be Kate freaking out and planning to jump off the roof of the girls' dorms... which she did... briefly. Max didn't just rewind time but froze it to reach her on the roof before she could jump... but the power ran out while she was there and she was left with nothing but her memory and past actions to talk her down. In the end, it came down to a fluke guess at a bible verse, but Max managed to save Kate.

After that, there was a meeting with the principal in which the teacher, David and Nathan got a bit roasted. Max took it a step further by telling the truth, that Nathan had drugged Kate at that party. The gun thing came up again too. Nathan was suspended which I'm sure he'll take well and not at all like a dangerous psychopath.

After that, Max hung out with Warren for a while as he sung her praises and she decompressed... and then an eclipse that shouldn't have happened happened which was kinda freaky. But the music that played while it happened was cool.

Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter Five
    Buckle up, I did all of episode three today.

To kick things off, Max and Chloe broke into Blackwell Academy to look for dirt on Nathan, Rachel, Kate etc etc. They found the principals files and learned that he was covering up a lot of Nathan's bullshit. What a shock. After that, they decided to break into the pool too, for shits and giggles, and narrowly avoided being caught by Blackwell Security. It made for a nice bonding session though so... worth the crime I guess? Not the first B/E of the episode either.

But first, it was time to spend the night at Chloe's place and use time fuckery to destroy the evidence of their break-in. Oh, also to break into David's computer and find more of his snooping files on Kate, Rachel and others... which then led to Max starting a major shitstorm by exposing him to his wife. At least Max got a nice nostalgic photo out of it?

The files David kept led back to Frank so, after that, it was time to use time fuckery for the second breaking and entering session. More time shenanigans got Max his keys, so she and Chloe broke into his RV (using the non-lethal method of getting his dog out the way). Inside, Max found evidence that Rachel was screwing Amber behind Chloe's back which pissed her off. Max did not also find the stolen gun, which might be a problem later. Chloe was in a right pissy mood after that and said a bunch of crap, but dropped Max off at her dorm again.

There, Max took a look at the photo and triggered the craziest time shit yet, going back to the time she was thirteen on the morning of Chloe's dad's death. The game then decided Max was only allowed to make the bad decision here, so Max made it so he lost his keys and never got into the accident that killed him. Unsurprisingly, this had major consequences for the future. Now, Max is in the Vortex Club, Warren is dating Stella, David is a bus driver and he never married Chloe's mum, a bunch of dead whales are washing up... oh and Chloe is a quadriplegic. No idea where the fuck Rachel, Nathan, Frank and Kate are in all this now.

This is why you don't make major changes to a timeline, Max!

Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter Six
    Max explored the alternative timeline, hanging out with Chloe. It was uncomfortable, but nice... up until Chloe enlisted Max to help her kill herself. Max was reluctant, to do it, but she did. Then she grabbed the photo from before and managed to time fuckery herself back to the correct timeline where she and the usual Chloe were putting things together in Chloe's room.

Max went down stairs and had an awkward discussion with David (I'm coming around to the poor paranoid bastard ngl) and then collected a bunch of evidence from his locker. After that, Max visited Kate in the hospital. She was doing way better and was able to help Max out with finding Nathan's room number.

Max broke into Nathan's room and found his secret phone. Nathan caught them in the act and got aggressive but Warren intervened and beat the living shit out of him. They all escaped from there after that and put the clues they'd collected together, finding the location of a suspicious barn and making there way there.

The alternative timeline was rough but Chloe has been a lot more tolerable after getting everything off her chest last episode. Warren is lowkey the MVP honestly.

Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter Seven
    Max and Chloe explored the barn, revealing the secret bunker beneath it and then using a pully and an old motor broke the padlock to enter said bunker. Within, they found a bunch of apocalyptic supplies but also some really disturbing photos of victims like Rachel and Kate (and the expensive studio used to take them) as well as evidence of Victoria being the next victim. One photo showed Rachel being buried in the junk yard where Max first met Frank, so Max and Chloe hauled ass over there and discovered her body.

Chloe was out for blood at that point, and Max wasn't that inclined to stop her. They went to the Vortex Club party, which was being illuminated by a weird double moon and tried to find Nathan. They were quick to discover he wasn't there, but Max used the opportunity to warn Victoria to stay away from Nathan and successfully convinced her. Chloe received a text from Nathan saying he was going to dispose of the evidence, so they hurried out of there as Victoria was announced the winner of the photo contest by Jefferson.

Max and Chloe reached the junk yard and found Rachel's body still there. But, with their attention diverted, it was easy for someone to sneak up behind Max and drug her with a needle before shooting Chloe in the head. As Max slipped into unconsciousness, she saw the face of a certain spoilerific person.

The twist didn't come as a huge surprise to me, honestly. This person was too involved with the story to be just a background character. I have no idea how they are linked to the Prescotts over all, but I'm looking forward to finding out. That's the end of Episode Four. One left, which means only one or two more journal entries for this game.

Years
  • Life is Strange - Chapter Eight
    This concludes Life is Strange. What a ride. The universe was not kind to Max.

Max woke up, drugged in Nathan's weird bunker with Mark looming over her. But he was not prepared for dealing time powers. By using her rewind, Max was able to engineer a scenario where she was able to time jump with one of her old photos. She used that chance to end up back in her classroom on the first day. There she was able to comfort Kate when she really needed it, hand in her contest photo, set Victoria on a better path and - most importantly - warn David about Mark and Nathan.

After that, Max woke up on a plane with her principal en route to San Francisco, having won the contest and orchestrated the downfall of her enemies. But, while at the gallery, Max gets a call from Chloe who is in the middle of the storm Max predicted. Realising that she hasn't saved Arcadia Bay yet, Max uses the photo she entered in the contest to travel further back in time again and prevent herself from winning by destroying it. Unfortunately for her, this changed the timeline in a way that put them right back in the bunker.

Just as Mark was about to drug Max again, David arrived having still been warned by her in this timeline. Mark got the jump on him and decked him with some photo equipment, but Max was able to user her time fuckery to rewind and talk David through the fight to make sure he won and was able to free her. She then left the bunker ASAP and drove into town with Mark's car.

In town, everything was a fucking mess. The giant tornado was happening, buildings were wrecked and people were dead. Max used her power to save as many people as she could, eventually finding the diner where Warren and Joyce were holed up. She explained everything to Warren, who realised the storm was caused by Max messing with the timeline too much, then used his photo from the night of the party to jump back. There she told Chloe what had happened and stopped her from going after Nathan, saving her in the process. She explained to tell her everything when she woke up in the reset timeline.

The timeline stabilised itself and Max came to standing on the beach with Chloe. Chloe filled Max in on what had happened, telling her she had instructed her to get them to the lighthouse for safety. But things immediately go sour as Max passes out and wakes up in the classroom on the first day again... sort of. It quickly becomes apparent that shit is not normal. Birds divebombed the window en masse, everyone disappeared and then shit started flowing backwards. Max made her way through the chaos, stepping through a doorway into a weird distorted time scape. She used her powers to make it through a legion of Jeffersons, Warrans, Wells and Davids and found herself suddenly inside a snow globe, watching the scene where Chloe's dad eventually left to his death play out again as a bystander.

Inside the snow globe, her phone went off and she was treated to a bunch of strange texts from people (and a dog) in the various timelines. The Pompidou one was hilarious, but the Rachel one was fucking ominous. The scenes played out and suddenly Max was in a diner having a conversation with an alternate version of herself who tried to sew doubt in her mind about everything and was just generally cruel. Chloe showed up and saved Max though, blinking her to another distorted timescape where Max walked through her memories with Chloe until she eventually came to outside the lighthouse with the real Chloe again.

There, Max explained what had happened and how the storm was her fault. Chloe realised that everything was happening as it was because Max saved her life in the very beginning and that the numerous times she came close to death or actually did die through the timelines was the universe trying to rebalance itself. Chloe then convinced Max to use the one photo they had left, the one Max took in the bathroom that day, to go back to the very beginning to let her die. Max did it, creating a timeline where the storm never happened and Nathan and Mark both got arrested for their crimes.

So, this was a narrative-heavy game and that is very much my jam. It's also a good example of a time travel story done well, which is something very hard to do since it is literally universe breaking. Granted, the implications about destiny and fate this version of time travel have are very unpleasant to consider even if they do allow the universe to retain internal consistency. The story itself is clever and well written and Chekhov would be proud of the use of foreshadowing and how everything that shows up across the timelines gets used - although some of the foreshadowing is very vague.

The twist villain wasn't necessarily something I predicted, but he wasn't a surprise either. As I said earlier, he clearly had a bigger part to play in the story than what the game wanted us to believe based purely on his screen time - and the options for what that part was were running out. The characters were mostly well-written, especially Max and David. That man is tragic. His stepdaughter is too, but Chloe is genuinely unlikeable for about half of the game. She improves a lot in the second half of the game leading up to her sacrifice (or at least attempted one since you can let the town get destroyed instead), but I don't like that a lot of her bad behaviour early on is excused based on her unfortunate circumstances. The game does get props for not doing a 180 on Nathan though. It could have been easy to make him just another victim, and he was a victim in some ways, but unlike Chloe he isn't let off the hook for his actions... granted they were much worse. Some character did feel a bit tropey, Max included, but overall, this wasn't a bad thing really. I think some of it was done on purpose even. I liked the use of photos as symbolism too. It was a bit heavy-handed maybe, but I don't care. I will say though, that some of the dialogue was bad. I explained how earlier. I'll add to that though by saying sometimes the flow was off based on the choices you made in the conversations or felt kind of generally out of place. Not enough to badly hurt the story, but I noticed.

Mechanically, the trial-and-error puzzle approach using Max's time powers was really fucking cool. It was clever and it gave you multiple chances to get outcomes you wanted, but you almost always had to work for those outcomes regardless of your ability to rewind. There wasn't a lot of controlling to do besides walking around and interacting with people and objects outside of the two stealth sections, but that's fine. There didn't need to be. Against the odds though, the controls still felt clunky sometimes. For one, despite being told a controller would improve my experience, the game refused to interact with my controller. Distances and angles with the mouse interaction could also get funky sometimes. It wasn't too bad but, again, it was an issue that was there.

The visuals and audio in the game were solid too. There were some very striking images - especially around the beach at sunset. The devastation caused by the storm in the fifth episode was also really well done, you could feel the intensity of the storm. Unfortunately though, the tornado itself did look kind of cartoonish. The voice acting all around was very good, which was important for the way the game was built, and the soundtrack was great and I liked how it was integrated into things through items in the environment (speakers, TVs, phones etc) a lot.

Life is Strange is definitely a flawed game, but it has a hell of a lot going for it too. It's not perfect, but I liked it a lot and I'm interested in trying out the prequel and the new instalment, True Colours too.

Story: 7/10
    Visuals: 6/10
    Soundtrack: 9/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Total Score: 29/40

Last edited:
    Years
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Blue Lions Route) - Overall Thoughts
    I've now completed every Three Houses story route (excluding the DLC story and Church-aligned Black Eagles). Much as I did with the Golden Deer, I'm just going to give a quick summary of some stuff here since much of the game itself overlaps with the other routes. No point doing a play-by-play when like 60-70% of the story overlaps with one of the other routes (or both). So, endings first!

- Cyril joined the officers academy as a student (again).
    - Shamir went full Robin Hood again.
    - Alois became Captain of the Knights of Seiros.
    - Seteth became much less strict and more open to other beliefs. He helped Byleth reform the church.
    - Dorothea went back to the opera (also again).
    - Linhardt became a scholar, living at the monastery and making a lot of important discoveries... when he wasn't napping and fishing.
    - Marianne became head of her house and famed for her skill as an orator.
    - Raphael became a knight for a while before eventually taking over his grandfather's inn.
    - Catherine left the church when Rhea stepped down and became her full-time bodyguard.
    - Gilbert resumed knight duties before retiring.
    - Petra went home and established Brigid as an independent state.
    - Ferdinand became the new Duke Aegir, reforming his house as part of the new kingdom.
    - Lysithea disbanded her noble house, the faded into obscurity as she chilled with her family. No word on if the crest thing got fixed so... oof?
    - Dedue kept up the usual, serving as Dimitri's most loyal warrior.
    - Sylvain and Mercedes married and got rid of their territory's crest-focus.
    - Felix and Bernie got married with Bernie ditching house Varley for him. Felix was known to be the king's right hand and they often travelled with him.
    - Ashe and Ingrid became knights together and totally aren't a thing.
    - Dimitri took the throne, establishing a peaceful and unified kingdom and married Flayn of all people.
    - Byleth became the new arch bishop and married Annette who helps him run shit... and moonlights as a teacher because she's an overachiever lol.

My final team was as follows:
    - Great Lord (I think) Dimitri (ft Bishop Flayn)
    - Enlightened One Byleth (ft Wyvern Rider Seteth)
    - Great Knight Dedue (ft Assassin Petra)
    - Gremory Annette
    - Holy Knight Mercedes
    - Dark Knight Sylvain
    - Falcon Knight Ingrid
    - Bow Knight Ashe
    - Bow Knight Bernadette
    - Swordmaster Felix
    - Mortal Savant Lysithea
    - Great Knight Ferdinand

I think, in the end, I also like the Blue Lions route roughly the same as I do the other two. It's focus is much narrower than either of the other two, especially Golden Deer which is very "big picture." It's more character driven compared to the other two though, in exchange for this. Instead of focusing primarily around Edelgard's rebellion or Claude's large scale machinations, the Blue Lions never really go into the war with a motive in mind other than "win and stop the war." For the Blue Lions, the story focuses primarily on Dimitri overcoming his own personal demons and unravelling the truth of the Tragedy of Duscur and many of the other characters' stories build off of that history (Felix and Ingrid lost Glenn, Gilbert left Annette over his guilt, Dedue was orphaned and taken in by Dimitri (and suffered discrimination as someone from Duscur) and Sylvain was affected by proxy since he grew up with Dimitri, Felix and Ingrid).

This means you get a firsthand look at Dimitri's gradual descent into madness and slow crawl back out of it. It also means that the Blue Lions are home to some really interesting character dynamics. In fact, the dynamics between the characters are often more interesting than the characters themselves. There are no characters in the Blue Lions that I don't like, but there aren't many that I really like either. I think the most compelling on their own are Dimitri, Felix, Annette and Sylvain. I like Ingrid, Mercedes, Ashe and Dedue, but they aren't as interesting to me when they interact with Byleth compared to with other characters. It also sometimes felt like Dimitri, Felix, Ingrid and Sylvain were the "main characters" and the others were extras because of their shared history that other characters mostly lacked which is weird because this doesn't happen in any of the other routes. It's also kind of strange that this route never really addresses Those Who Slither either, although I guess they were less of a major factor for the Blue Lions.

So yeah, Blue Lions does the inter-character stuff really well, but can fall a bit short when characters are on their own with Byleth or when the greater story is the focus. Much like the other two routes, it has some things it excels in and some areas where it is overshadowed. I am once again happy to let this route share the same score as the previous ones though. In the end, it's just another part of a greater whole and it's very cool to now finally see Fodlan's history/story without any missing puzzle pieces. Byleth really is a deciding factor on whether or not Dimitri, Edelgard and Rhea are good people or not through the story... weirdly Claude is always fine. Clearly, he's the real hero.

Last edited:
    Back