• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Red Fire Version

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2023
0b2dIzA.png

Introduction
Pokemon Red Fire Version is my take on a difficulty hack of Fire Red. I was inspired by Emerald Kaizo, specifically nuzlocke runs of Emerald Kaizo. My aim was to create a romhack that's difficult to nuzlocke, balanced, and linear while retaining the general feel and structure of the original game. The linked zip file contains the patch as well as full documentation of trainer battles, wild pokemon, learnsets, item changes, and move changes.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/q8ngan5p7xcxubo/PokemonRedFireVersion.zip/file

Features
To achieve linearity certain roadblocks had to be implemented to eliminate branching paths. These take the form of altered environments, new NPCs, added Strength boulders and Rock Smash rocks, and rearrangement of some key items. The world map has been similarly altered to reflect the modified region.
rG5Yp2D.png
N9XHQpL.png
cEII2Tq.png
z73Z80I.png
wsh5z69.png

There are 300 trainers, 299 of which are mandatory. Trainers have been repositioned such that they cannot be avoided. There are added double battles, a rain section, and a sun section. The pokemon count of trainers gradually increases throughout the game with bosses always having 6. The level curve has been tuned to minimize the need for leveling outside of trainer battles. Blue has access to the same set of resources and pokemon as the player relative to his location in the game, limited to 1 pokemon per area.
tFUlCOT.png
YBhuUM3.png
3A6tDtG.png
Scdampc.png
9jFyg0d.png

Wild pokemon placement and encounter rates have been changed significantly. New encounter locations have been added. Gift pokemon and trade pokemon have been removed.
3OhDgtd.png
5puz4Lg.png
BwdbOFd.png

Pokemon have revamped learnsets that greatly improve their viability and effectiveness. Power points have been changed and accuracy has been boosted on many moves.
PtABhCJ.png
DYqejhu.png

Some evolutions have been adjusted for increased accessibility of pokemon. EVs have been removed. Each pokemon species has 1 ability.
WHVgkhF.png
wv1weTg.png
dbPkZ5f.png

Shop inventories have all been changed. Berries are widely available for purchase. Rare Candy is available in Viridian for $1 to cover any miscellaneous leveling without grinding. Healing items have been disabled in battle.
e9BZ4Ig.png
UtWSn1D.png

Field items both visible and hidden have been changed. 15 Big Mushrooms are scattered throughout the region for the Move Reminder who's been moved to Celadon.
EaqZJ8M.png
Bi6CqLQ.png
jzoCsqo.png

Level Curve
Spoiler:

Made With
Spoiler:

Credits And Thanks
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
There's a severe exploit you can use early in the game, but then it makes the game so unfun. You might want to look into how to force level caps in the game (just like how Radical Red does it).

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2023
If you're referring to the ability to overlevel by means of the available Rare Candy in Viridian, then yes. I'm aware. The accessible Rare Candy as well as the choice to do whatever one wants with that is intentional. Its purpose to alleviate grinding and to bypass the commonly taken step of using an Action Replay code to obtain the same items. It's up to the player to decide how many to use and when to use them. If someone wants to deliberately trivialize the game by overleveling they certainly can (and could anyway), but as you said that would be rather unfun.

I did consider implementing some sort of forced level cap but ultimately decided against it. Experience management is a part of the challenge. Implementing a forced cap would negate that aspect of the game entirely.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 22, 2023
Just saw your post about this on reddit, at first glance this hack looks really cool! I am curious though, even though it's not truly vanilla EK adding some gen 4 and 5 moves like earth power, drill run, flash cannon, etc. greatly improved many mons' viability. Was adding moves like that just not part of what you wanted to do? Cause obviously you were able to replace other moves with the various hidden power types, so I'm just curious. Also, I just noticed I see learnset changes but not stat changes. Did you not buff any pokemon's BSTs? Cause I feel quite a few mons definitely deserve stat buffs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2023
Just saw your post about this on reddit, at first glance this hack looks really cool! I am curious though, even though it's not truly vanilla EK adding some gen 4 and 5 moves like earth power, drill run, flash cannon, etc. greatly improved many mons' viability. Was adding moves like that just not part of what you wanted to do? Cause obviously you were able to replace other moves with the various hidden power types, so I'm just curious. Also, I just noticed I see learnset changes but not stat changes. Did you not buff any pokemon's BSTs? Cause I feel quite a few mons definitely deserve stat buffs.

I centered the power level of trainers around ADV OU. I wanted to leave the metagame largely in tact so there are no BST changes nor anachronistic moves. Boosting accuracy was largely to minimize winning/losing fights due to luck. From my testing in alpha the power of pokemon relative to each other was minimally effected by the accuracy boosting.

Is it completed?

Barring any unforeseen minor bugfixes or data entry errors to potentially correct, yes.

How many Pokémon are available in the game?

The following pokemon are unobtainable by the player: Legendaries/Mythics, Aipom, Blissey, Castform, Chansey, Delibird, Ditto, Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Shedinja, Shuckle, Smeargle, Spinda, Unown. Every other evolution family is obtainable. The greater majority of wild pokemon are at their maximum evolution stage for their level.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 12, 2022
the intro screen just replays over and over again even when I press enter

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 13, 2022
All Fire Red roms I try and patch with seem to have invalid checksums. Is there a specific version of the rom we should be using for it to work? I get the same result as Xq43 where the intro screen appears but it's glitched and just replays.

Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Dec 7, 2022
Bruh I patched it but HOW DO I PLAY IT IT'S TITLE SCREEN IS GLITCHED EVERY TIME!!! GOSH WHEN I PRESS IT IT JUST REPLAYS!!

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
For anyone trying to download this hack, which I do NOT recommend:

-It requires v1.0 of FireRed (instead of v1.1), which is odd but not a red flag by itself.
-It requires v0.9.1 of mGBA or VBA to run. This is certainly a red flag. v0.9.3 (the latest version of mGBA and what most people have been using for awhile) does not work.
-The hack breaks when using any form of speedup.

I was fine with using an old version of mGBA and a different than usual FireRed version, but I'm not interested in trying past that when using speedup breaks the game. That shows there's something especially fundamentally broken with this game, and it isn't worth trying to play more.

Years
For anyone trying to download this hack, which I do NOT recommend:

-It requires v1.0 of FireRed (instead of v1.1), which is odd but not a red flag by itself.
-It requires v0.9.1 of mGBA or VBA to run. This is certainly a red flag. v0.9.3 (the latest version of mGBA and what most people have been using for awhile) does not work.
-The hack breaks when using any form of speedup.

I was fine with using an old version of mGBA and a different than usual FireRed version, but I'm not interested in trying past that when using speedup breaks the game. That shows there's something especially fundamentally broken with this game, and it isn't worth trying to play more.

I have the latest version of mGBA and t runs perfectly for me

Back