• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: X/Y Rebirth - a light, 'adjusted difficulty' hack of X and Y

Years
  • Hey there.
    I am NOT an experienced hacker, but this has been something I've had in the works for about 2 years, off and on.
    So, basically everyone knows about how easy X/Y are, and while there are "challenge hacks" of X/Y, I personally wanted to find a more...rebalanced/fixed version of the games that makes the games harder, without the brutal difficulty said challenge hacks are known for; basically something closer to say Platinum, B2W2 Challenge Mode, or BDSP (without the baked-in Exp. Share and affection shenanigans). Turns out, those types of hacks aren't as common; the closest I could find was an abandoned hack and many theory-crafting videos/threads. So, I decided to make a light hack of my own essentially "fixing" the major boss battles, as well as a few minor stuff.
    In short, this is a small and light "fixed/adjusted difficulty" hack of X/Y; the game is meant to be harder, but it's not a "challenge hack" in the traditional sense.

The summary of the major changes can be found in the Google Drive, but in short, most major battles have been changed either slightly or significantly (with either new Pokémon, better movesets, and/or held items. Higher IVs as well). A decent handful of minor trainer battles have gotten minorly buffed as well (many trainers with only 1-2 Pokémon have received 1-2 more, especially in the Gyms and Victory Road). All the patterns of Vivillon can also be found in the wild.

Wild Vivillon pattern locations:
    Spoiler:

NOTES:
    - The game still isn't designed with keeping the Exp. Share on in mind. You may be a tad underleveled if you don't use it at all, but leaving it on WILL make you very overleveled. I didn't want to give the game a huge level curve to balance out X/Y's non-scaling Exp. system. I recommend toggling it on and off when needed. If you want to impose level limits based on the Gym Leader's/Elite Four/Champion's aces, it goes as follows:
    Spoiler:
    - The game still uses mechanics from Gen 6. I considered adding in Gen 7 onward mechanics (move changes, stat changes, ability changes, etc.), but ultimately decided against it.
    - As I stated before, the Battle Chateau is weird, and I haven't really tested out the Gym Leader/E4/Champion battles there. I only just recently learned how the Chateau handles movesets as the when Writs are applied, and it's very dumb (in short, it's based on their current level with their level-up learnsets; the 4 most recent moves that Pokémon would have learned/tried to learn while leveling up).
    - This hack really only works with the original 1.0 version of X/Y; installing the 1.5 update will likely make Citra crash. Sorry about that! Just be wary of the Lumiose Save Glitch (avoid saving on North/South Boulevard. If you save the game in Lumiose, do it either indoors or on any of the inner streets of the city).
    - The Mega Stone merchant in Coumarine only has his text altered in English. If you're playing in another language, he'll still mention that he sells Incense rather than Mega Stones. English is the only language I speak fluently, so changing this would be difficult for me personally (I don't want to rely on Google Translate, lol).

Screenshots
    Spoiler:

Link to the files and documentation

Newest Update: 1.9.7 - 3/19/24
    Changes: Rebranded (normal) Rebirth and Rebirth LITE to "Rebirth NORMAL" (previously LITE) and 'Rebirth MEGA' (previously normal/regular).
    Decided to make the first 3 Gym Leaders identical in both version of Rebirth. This also means that Viola and Grant have been adjusted in both versions; Viola's lineup in both versions is identical (Ledyba, Surskit, Vivillon), with Vivillon's Sleep Powder being reverted to Stun Spore as well as its Oran Berry being removed.
    Both games also now have the same team for Grant (Dwebble, Amaura, Tyrunt), whose Tyrunt now has Sturdy and Dragon Tail instead of Strong Jaw and Stomp respectively. Amaura's Hard Stone was also removed. I also fixed an issue where the Mega Stone merchant was still selling Incense for some, despite his English text still stating otherwise.

Credits:
    Made entirely with pk3DS, kudos to Kaphotics and SciresM!
    r/pokemonROMhacks and my Rebirth Discord server for suggestions and allowing me to bounce off ideas!
    Buffel Saft; many of my evolution changes, purchasable Mega Stones, and a few misc. changes were taken from inspired by Eternal X/Wilting Y!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    This sounds great actually. I've been wanting to play an XY rom hack that improves difficulty and balance but without going overboard with Pokémon typings, stats, and movesets changes.

Years
  • This sounds great actually. I've been wanting to play an XY rom hack that improves difficulty and balance but without going overboard with Pokémon typings, stats, and movesets changes.

Thanks! Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I admire the work the creators of those famous "challenge/difficulty hacks" do, but I just wanted a hack that adjusted the difficulty a little bit (since I kinda feel like every Gym Leader having 6 Pokemon + double battle is overkill), and obviously nothing like that existed.

Years
  • Does this work to play on 3DS? How do I patch it?

EDIT 3/19/24:
    On a modded 3DS, make sure you have 'enable game patching' enabled in Luma (you can check by holding Select during launch to open Luma's config menu). If it's not enabled, use the D-Pad to select it and press A to enable it.
    Press Start to save your settings and reboot the system. Put your SD into your computer, and look for /luma/titles/<titleID> ("<titleID> in this case should be whatever the Title ID is for either X or Y, depending on what version you're using. In this case, it's 0004000000055D00 for X, 0004000000055E00 for Y). If you don't already have /luma/titles on your SD, just make it yourself.
    Place your downloaded RomFS folder and code.ips into the Title ID folder, boot up your 3DS, and launch X or Y. If done correctly, Luma will patch the game automatically.

Last edited:
    Years
    • They/Them She/Her
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    It says in the instructions txt document that the 1.5 update can be done after but when I add 1.5 it crashes not long after it loads? Am I doing something wrong or do I have to stay on 1.0? This is my first time using Citra so I have no clue if I'm doing something wrong or not. I'm really hoping to have this on 1.5 to avoid the Lumiose City save glitch but I would rather be forced to save in a building than not have this mod.

Years
  • It says in the instructions txt document that the 1.5 update can be done after but when I add 1.5 it crashes not long after it loads? Am I doing something wrong or do I have to stay on 1.0? This is my first time using Citra so I have no clue if I'm doing something wrong or not. I'm really hoping to have this on 1.5 to avoid the Lumiose City save glitch but I would rather be forced to save in a building than not have this mod.

Hm... At some point I had playtested the hack with the 1.5 update installed, but now as I try to do it, the same issue occurs for me. I've looked into it, and I can't find any solution that seems to work for me either. Apparently even Eternal X/Wilting Y is only compatible with 1.0, so this isn't the only X/Y hack having issues with the 1.5 update.

Sorry about that, I wish I had a fix for it. For now, I guess just be careful where you save in Lumiose; save inside buildings, or anywhere except North and South Boulevard.

EDIT: I may have been able to update it before because I had been playing a ROM that was changed using the 3dstoolkit method (as seen on my new installation guide in the Drive folder or on one of my other replies here). I'm not completely certain, but there's a good chance that ROMs that were physically changed with Rebirth's files and 3dstoolkit rather than patched using Citra or Luma may be able to be updated to 1.5. Just thought I'd make that known since it just occurred to me

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's been a bit, but I'd like to give a few updates!

First off, aside from a major update that gives Diantha a new team, I've released a brand-new version of Rebirth; X/Y Rebirth LITE, which is a more fair and tame version of the game that's more in-line to what you'd realistically see if X/Y was designed closer to Gens 1-5; The game starts out a bit easier, and Gym Leaders don't use Mega Evolutions aside from Wulfric (however, the Gym Leaders that used to have Megas in the regular version of Rebirth have new teams to help make up for it, though they obviously won't be as difficult as regular Rebirth). You can find Rebirth LITE in the same Google Drive!

Second, I am currently in the process of testing a potential "Rebirth" of OR/AS (though its name will be different, "OR/AS Repolished", as 'Omega Ruby Rebirth' already exists). The games will have their own page once finished, but for now, you can try the beta here!

EDIT: the page for the OR/AS hack is out!

Last edited:
    Back