• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mario 128

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
Years
Hey, I remember hearing about this gaem before Gamecube even came out, does anybody have any info on it, or know if it's even real? If you do post it here plz. ^_^

aaaaaa

Mario 128 was a tech demo for the Gamecube.

Here's an Article:

Of all the demos previewed at Spaceworld, the Mario 128 Demo was arguably the most complete display of GameCube's processing abilities. Narrated by Miyamoto and manipulated in real-time by a fellow Nintendo employee, Mario 128 "played" on a small theater screen with the total attention of the pre-show press crowd. In classic Mario fashion, a dwarfed "8-bit" Mario jogged to the center of the screen with the help of the ol' Super Mario Bros. tune. Immediately, the view becomes three-dimensional as the sprite "lies down" on a circular "Monopoly-style" plate, revealing that our plumber was made of many colored blocks (or "cubes", if you insist). Near the bottom of the screen was a green bar that "measured" a percentage of GameCube resources. Currently, about one-fourth of this meter was green, and the visuals ran at 60 frames-per-second. If the bar was completely green, that indicates Gamecube was being pushed to its limits, and the on-screen graphics would be running at around 30 fps, according to Mr. Miyamoto.

"Yippee!" said the tiny 3D-rendered Mario that appeared from gawd-knows-where under one of the blocks. At this instant, a number "1" is seen at the top of the screen. Mario runs over to another block, picks it up and -- "Yippee!" -- another Mario, and a number "2". Both Marios run off, snatching more blocks -- "Yahoo! Wah-haah!" -- 3, 4 of them now... 8, 16, 20 of them.... 32, 48 -- 64 derranged and independent little-- but it didn't stop there... Eventually, there were 128 of them.

128 rendered, lighted, anti-aliased, 700-polygon Marios, complete with AI and collision detection, painted a "cutesy" picture of chaos. The 3D model for Mario wasn't all that impressive, as it looks like he can easily be rendered on a Dreamcast, but the big difference here was there were so many of them. Marios running around; Marios rolling around; Marios tossing blocks off the plate; Marios shoving Marios off the plate -- neverminding the anarchy, this scene had all the elements of a gameplay environment: polygonal objects & characters, sound, AI, physics -- and the little meter at the bottom was only 1/3 full, with the action still running at 60 fps. Impressive, yes?

Things only got weirder from here on, as the plate began to bend and deform, creating smooth hills, basins, and jagged "mountains". The little Marios and blocks "reacted" accordingly to their changing terrain, falling and rolling down the hillsides. Miyamoto & Co. even went as far as spinning the flimsy surface like pizza dough, tossing Marios up and down as they screamed, "Waaaaa!"... Toss in a handful of visual effects like motion blur, transparencies and cell shading, and we've got a complete demo package. Despite all the activity, the meter maintained its 1/3 standing the entire way... When Miyamoto was through torturing his "children", they disappeared from the plate and, ironically, it morphed into a pizza, and landed in the drive bay of a purple Gamecube

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
Years
Well, leave it to the Mario expert hehe...

Mario 128 is, in fact, a game. Though it was only a demo at first, like what in a1337a posted, Miyamoto decided to take it one step further.

Although there is next to nothing known about the actual game, I think the idea is very interesting. Nintendo says that they're adding new things that were never found in any other game at all. I think it may come out sometime next year.

Well, that's a little of what I know!

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
it's slated to come out in japan this december with a early march 05 for us american citizen's um from what i know of it and from all my contact's it's 128 level's there are 5 diffrent marios(cousin's new brother etc) and 4 main bad guy's with almost 20 diffrent style changes....and if the rumer is true this will be the last mario game.

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
Years
blue said:
it's slated to come out in japan this december with a early march 05 for us american citizen's um from what i know of it and from all my contact's it's 128 level's there are 5 diffrent marios(cousin's new brother etc) and 4 main bad guy's with almost 20 diffrent style changes....and if the rumer is true this will be the last mario game.
Wow....
Forget my title hehe...

It sounds cool!
...but I don't believe the last part for a second. There's no way they can end Mario! No way!
....at least it's just a silly rumor!

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
Years
Yeah, just because it's ture, doesn't mean Nintendo will end one of it hottest selling franchise. Mario will be alive for a lo~ng time.

Back