• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first Sugimori attempt!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • I had traced a Blaziken picture from a coloring book so I could scan it and color it on my computer. I would have just scanned the picture in the book, but it had a background that I didn't like. Anyway, I traced over it (changing a bit as I went so it would have a bit of custom touch) and scanned it. After I had the outlined dark enough and solid, I began to fill colors. I decided to use random effects such as FILM GRAIN, SPLASH, and SMOOTH which resulted in what reminded me of Ken Sugimori's style. So, take a look and tell me how you like it, or dislike it...

Blaziken JPG | Blaziken GIF

There is a JPG, which I think looks better--
    --& a GIF, which is ready to put on a card, etc.

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
  • Wow, that's pretty good! :D I have a Sugimori tutorial on my deviantART page (click my sig banner to get there) if you're interested in drawing Sugimori-style. :) Even though you've said it's traced I like the way you've done the lineart and it's a very unique colouring style. Good job!

--FG

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Wow, that's pretty good! :D I have a Sugimori tutorial on my deviantART page (click my sig banner to get there) if you're interested in drawing Sugimori-style. :) Even though you've said it's traced I like the way you've done the lineart and it's a very unique colouring style. Good job!

--FG

I like Sugimori's style, but I just don't think I'd be able to catch on...
    I really wasn't even trying to make a Sugimori-ish picture when I was meddling around with one of my favorite programs, PhotoMax SE. I used paint to do the fill colors but to add the texture, sponge-like look, I used PhotoMax and selected areas of the picture using the magic wand; I used a combination of Film Grain (x1), Splash (x1), and Smooth (x12). I liked the texture and it somehow reminded me of how Ken Sugimori's old pictures looked.

(P.S. I don't have PhotoShop, and I couldn't find your MSPaint Tutorial)

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
  • My Paint tutorial is in the PC Reference Library in the "Artistic" section ^_^

Photoshop Elements is actually pretty cheap in comparison to the full version which is ridiculously expensive!

I really like the effect you've got here and I'd like to see more Pokémon in that style! :D Perhaps one of the newly-revealed ones?

--FG

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • My Paint tutorial is in the PC Reference Library in the "Artistic" section ^_^

Photoshop Elements is actually pretty cheap in comparison to the full version which is ridiculously expensive!

I really like the effect you've got here and I'd like to see more Pokémon in that style! :D Perhaps one of the newly-revealed ones?

--FG

I'll be sure to look into it. (EDIT: I didn't see anything in the PC Reference Library. It seemed... empty.)

Hmm... I may try a picture of Karanakushi, the pre-form of Lapras.

Anyway, I made a Pichu last night. I like how the black fur turned out on this, but the pic looked better when I prented it black and white. I traced the base for this picture, but changed the feet, black neck fur, mouth, and I gave it fuzzy hair like one of the Pichu brothers. I did it as a request from one of my friends, but ended up printing out 14 copies which I gave to some of my closer friends and teachers.
    Pichu JPG | Pichu GIF

Last edited:

Charon

unscrupulous~
    Years
  • That's AWESOME.

Omg, I love the Blaziken. It's so dynamic, but the colours are nice and subtle.
    The pichu is cute too, but I definetly prefer the blaziken; it looks much more vibrant.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Thanks... Here's my attempt of Lapras's pre-evolved form.
    (According to the new info @serebii I don't think it really is the baby of Lapras...)

For now, I call it LAPPRE

^didn't turn out great...

Last edited:
    Back