• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Starter Debate Thread

Blaziken_Boy

Back for now
Years
  • If this has been done before, sorry. I started this since people say 'That one sucks' and 'This one rocks'. So you can debate about all the starters you want here.

Blaziken is one of my favorite, it makes up its crappy speed with brute force and defense. Blaze Kick is killer and Sky Uppercut is fun.

By the way, don't say anything about this being the worst, just say something about your favorite or LIGHTLY criticise a starter.

Years
  • cant beat the classics. i say any of the 3 original starters were the best just because they were the most fun when pokemon was new to everyone and a lot of strategies were still unknown until the newer games.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    Infernape, Typlosion, Charizard FTW in fire
    blazikens cool n all but it's *little* bosst in defense just doesnt help as much as Infernapes offense.

Swampert is awesome, but if people took a look at Empoleon they'd see all of the %25, %50 attacks it has, plus i think it might be the only steel type not weak to water and fire, which is so cool. Feraligatr's moveset FTW

And for grass..i never really liked grass starters, but if i had to pick a good one i'd have to go with Sceptile, jus for his speed, a grass type with speed definagtely is dangerous

All in all, my top favorite is Typhlosion. It jus kicks that much but

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Infernapes stats are impressive, but I still like Blaziken more than Infernape.

-ChronicNightmare-

PsyDragon Trainer

PokéPro?
    Years
  • Swampert's looks (sprites) make my laugh, especially in D/P, I have 3 different Swampert for my Diamond team, it rocks.

Typhlosion looks sooo ace, too bad of its super bad movepool.

Feraligatr is an awesome Pokémon in D/P, but its sprite just keeps me from using / breeding one... Totodile kicks ass in looks, but 'Gatr ruins it.

Sceptile is awesome, plain awesome, too bad for it's bad Special Movepool in D/P.

Blaziken looks as one of the best IMO, it only has mediocre Speed, which ruins the fun, it can be used as a mixed sweeper ftw.

D/P Starters all look lame in sprites IMO, only Infernape is a good use for competitive play.

The Kanto Starters are sweet, all of them. I only dislike Venusaur a bit.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2008
    Charizard has the best design of all starters. Sceptile close second.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Typhlosion was great in the MetalSeries. It's fire attacks are awesome, and it's Flame Wheel's is one of it's best attacks. Typhlosion's very good to beat Koga (E4), and Falkner's easily beaten by Quilava's Ember. ^^
    It's rare to see a fire Pokemon that is that strong already at an early level. Growlithe had to be trained a lot before even learning Ember. ._.

Then come Blaziken and Charizard. There doubble-types make them handy in most battles. And thanks to Charmander learning Metal Claw in FireRed/LeafGreen, it can take out Rock types easily, regardless of it's weakness.

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
  • Typhlosion was great in the MetalSeries. It's fire attacks are awesome, and it's Flame Wheel's is one of it's best attacks./quote]

I disagree that Flame Wheel is a good attack for it only deals a small amount of damage and is only useful when your froze. It's a basically a waste of spice.

I also highly disagree that Infernape has the best stats of all fire starters. Yes, I does have a head on Blaziken in speed, but that's it.

Charizard: Meh move pool with a very average base stats.

HP: 78
    Attack: 84
    Defense: 78
    (Gen I)Special: 85
    SpAtk: 109
    SpDef: 85
    Speed: 100

Typhlosion: Has a really bad move pool and as the same exact stats as Charizard.

HP: 78
    Attack: 84
    Defense: 78
    SpAtk: 109
    SpDef: 85
    Speed: 100

Blaziken: Great move pool with a great HP and Attack. A must have for the Offensive Player.

HP: 80
    Attack: 120
    Defense: 70
    SpAtk: 110
    SpDef: 70
    Speed: 80

Infernape: It has the upper hand in the move pool category because it's a Fourth Gen Pokemon. This one is only good for the Speed Player, but does anyone know a Speed Player?

HP: 76
    Attack: 104
    Defense: 71
    SpAtk: 104
    SpDef: 71
    Speed: 108

Back