• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[one shot] To sleep, perchance to dream?

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    [FONT=&quot]Pg for otherwise confusing and daunting themes. Otherwise enjoy a one shot about a crazy man... or is he crazy?
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]----
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The man turned over, he was unable to sleep.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Get away from me!" He yelled in a frenzy, waving his arms about.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He sat up, his cardboard mattress no longer felt comfortable anymore. He saw them all starring at him, with their giant beady eyes. He pretended not to look at them and decided to curl up in the fetal position muttering to himself.[/FONT]

---

[FONT=&quot]The night was getting darker, and the town was bustling. If people had noticed him, they'd point it out and either laugh or talk secretively.[/FONT]

---

[FONT=&quot]Still unhappy with his current predicament he got up, though in a hunched position as to avoid being detected by them, and placed the cardboard under his shoulder. Upon taking up his cardboard, he met eyes with a creature that had been sleeping behind it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Noooo! Where is it, where is it, where is it, where where wh- wh-?" He stammered. He dropped his cardboard bed and began rubbing his hands through his dirty head as though searching for something. His hands suddenly stopped and he breathed a sigh of relief.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Please don't scare me like that," He said out loud. "I get scared when you're not with me."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I'm sorry; I just had to hide from that Rattata," It spoke. "It was scary."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"We'll find somewhere else that's safe then." The man said, picking up his cardboard bed and smiling.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He began to walk, people starred at him as he searched for another place to rest, he did not seem to notice any of them, and even bumped into the pedestrian traffic several times. Finally he came across a shrine; it even had a food dispenser.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"We'll be safe here." He said, placing his cardboard bed on the ground.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He eyed the food dispenser and decided to jump in it, wondering what he'd find from its magical layers today.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Hey look here, some untainted legumes!" He declared, quickly eating the objects as though afraid they'd disappear.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Don't eat too fast; otherwise you'll get a stomach ache." The voice said.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Shut up, I can do what I want!" The man replied.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After eating for a while, he settled on his cardboard mattress. He was glad that today had produced little trouble, and would be able to finally sleep. And sleep he did.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The next morning he seemed to wake up abruptly, his answer as to why came in the form of pain. Looking at his arms, he noticed giant red boils. Seeing them seemed to have intensified the pain, and he yelled in fury, scratching his arms until they began to bleed. Finally after several minutes of scratching, the pain seemed to subside.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Don't think you'll get away with this next time!" He yelled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You tell 'em!" The voice agreed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Suddenly he heard sounds, then felt something grab him, the strange entities placed cuffs on him and put him in a strange place. He had no time to react as to what was happening, all he could see was his shrine disappearing off in the distance. He didn't like it... Not one bit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER!" He began yelling as loudly as possible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He kicked and retaliated as much as possible. Then suddenly, like some sort of hypnosis, he was asleep again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He woke up again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Where are we?" He asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I don't know," The voice replied. "But it sure is white in here. We've even got some fancy new white clothes!"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The man realized this too, and looked at his attire, his arms were interlocked and he couldn't move them at all.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Suddenly a figure seemed to drop from the ceiling, it appeared to be a gooey substance, and had a disturbing face, causing the man to cower to the floor. It spoke:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Do not interfere with the restraints, they are there for a reason, obey them, make friends with them... we'll teach you to love them." It spoke in a horrible demonic voice.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"NO! I'll never follow your religion!" The man yelled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You have no choice," The Demon blob spoke. As it said this, it appeared to melt in the floor. "We will be watching..." And it was gone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I don't like this white place... I don't I don't I don't don't don't don't DON'T!" He said, yelling the last word.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"What are we going to do?" The voice asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But before he could answer the room suddenly turned from its sterile white colour to a deep red colour.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You have defied us, we waited, it is unfortunate that it had to end this way." A disembodied voice spoke.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I'm sorry sorry sorry so- so- sorry!" The man yelled.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It was too late however as he saw the claws come from the sky, he used his legs to kick and defend himself.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"We trusted you. We had given you the power to see and you let us down." The same voice spoke.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The man was now terrified, he knew he was going to become just become like them now, those that he could no longer see. He wouldn't end it without a fight however.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]---[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"What is that banging noise?" A doctor asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"It sounds like it's coming from one of the rooms, I'll get a Chansey right away!" Replied a staff member.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They both ran along the corridor, until they found the source of the noise, it was coming from the room where the new arrival had just come this morning. As quickly as they could, they opened the door, but it was too late, the new patient's head was covered in blood, he was now on the floor unable to move, breathing really slowly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]---[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The room suddenly turned from red to white, and there was silence again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I win this time..." He said softly, and slept forevermore.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I've always liked fics like this. The way you portrayed the psychological drama was perfect and I didn't see much mistakes. One question though, aren't asylums usually with padded walls so the patients don't hurt themselves?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I've always liked fics like this. The way you portrayed the psychological drama was perfect and I didn't see much mistakes. One question though, aren't asylums usually with padded walls so the patients don't hurt themselves?

lol yeah... I did say white room vaguely kind of on purpose. And for simplicity's sake I'll just say it was the door handle despite the fact there probably isn't one (on the interior side).

However, you could also say that there was indeed some force or monster that caused his injuries. XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Feign said:
    I'm sorry; I just had to hide from that Ratata," It spoke. "It was scary."
    Ratata should be Rattata.

Feign said:
    I'll get a Chancey right away!
    Chancey should be Chansey.

It's good to see that the shortness of time that you wrote this in affected quantity, not quality. You portrayed the split personalities, quite well, I thought. A very interesting read. :)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    haha, thanks (and fixed) :)

If I ever did something similar to this again, I might do it as part of a chaptered fic, where I could develop the character a bit more, and even call it "The adventures of..." And make it totally in the point of view of that character, so everything that character sees and "sees" the reader would read as though were actually occuring.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • I would recommend doing it as an other fiction, though; you barely included anything to do with Pokémon in this. Unless of course you could tie it more into the fandom.

Or were you maybe trying to sneak in a bigger audience? >:o

Back