• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] He who is Merely a Rumour

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Ah, it is the Augury who is merely a rumour. Another good chapter, Citrinin. Your Pokemon battles are getting better, but still need a little work. One thing I noticed -
Charlotte stared at the back of Bevan's head for about ten seconds and said in a low voice, "I'll share if you do."
It sounds as if she's doing both at once. Perhaps "Charlotte stared at the back of Bevan's head for about ten seconds before saying in a low voice, "I'll share if you do.""

or

"Charlotte stared at the back of Bevan's head for about ten seconds, and then said in a low voice, "I'll share if you do.""

Charlotte's character interests me. She's very philosophical; some of her dialogue would almost be better as narrator voice. Just when you write her speech, stop and ask yourself if you can imagine anyone really saying that. Then again, if there's a real reason for it, eg that cult of hers pounded that stuff into her from a very young age and made her recite it every day, that'd be fine.

Your story is developing very fast. How long do you expect this to be?

I did enjoy this chapter thoroughly, though. Keep up the good work!

Oh, and I had to lol at Charlotte talking to the bush. ^_^

EDIT: I is forgetful :B *subscribes*

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Ah, crap. That was a leftover from after I did a major revision that I did to the chapter where Charlotte was going to describe her cult, until I decided to leave it until later. D:

Sparkling Dragon said:
Your story is developing very fast. How long do you expect this to be?
About 40-50 chapters. Trust me, I have the pace under control, but to demonstrate how would sort of ruin the story later on. XD;

Sparkling Dragon said:
Charlotte's character interests me. She's very philosophical; some of her dialogue would almost be better as narrator voice. Just when you write her speech, stop and ask yourself if you can imagine anyone really saying that. Then again, if there's a real reason for it, eg that cult of hers pounded that stuff into her from a very young age and made her recite it every day, that'd be fine.
There is so much to Charlotte's character that I haven't revealed yet - her philosophical side is indeed intentional. Unfortunately, that aspect of her personality is probably not going to be expounded on for a while.

Sparkling Dragon said:
I did enjoy this chapter thoroughly, though. Keep up the good work!
Thanks. :D

Misheard Whisper

Years
Ah, crap. That was a leftover from after I did a major revision that I did to the chapter where Charlotte was going to describe her cult, until I decided to leave it until later. D:
Ah, OK. I'm just sharp like that. =D

About 40-50 chapters. Trust me, I have the pace under control, but to demonstrate how would sort of ruin the story later on. XD;
I believe you, but be careful.

There is so much to Charlotte's character that I haven't revealed yet - her philosophical side is indeed intentional. Unfortunately, that aspect of her personality is probably not going to be expounded on for a while.
OK. Looking forward to it. ^_^

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Again, excellent chapter, it is definitely interesting to see two sides of the story, while both of them are still shrouded in mystery.

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps instead of saying "Don't let what happened to you define you.", you could substitute 'define' for 'control'.

I like how it seemed that Bevan understood what happened to his mother, had to happen, like that he wasn't totally rebellious. But he was living a sheltered life, so that could be part of the reason.

And I too liked the random bush talking XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Maybe it's just an NZ idiom, but the idea behind the statement is that this event shapes his life, and it seems like natural language to me. I'd like to hear input from other users on this topic - have I allowed a little bit of local language to slip into my fic? Or does it make sense?

And thanks for the review, Feign. ^^ Did you think there was anything I could have done to improve?

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
"Define you" could be that, someone on the outside could recognize that person for that defining behavior. While "Contol you" is more internal.

Perhaps it is just word choice preference XD In which case, it is best left the way wanted. :)

EDIT:

Maybe it's just an NZ idiom, but the idea behind the statement is that this event shapes his life, and it seems like natural language to me. I'd like to hear input from other users on this topic - have I allowed a little bit of local language to slip into my fic? Or does it make sense?

And thanks for the review, Feign. ^^ Did you think there was anything I could have done to improve?

If it is a NZ thing (lol sorry, its the sports thing all over again that we discussed earlier), than it could be left as is. As it makes most sense to you. I'd actually encourage local dialect, just for its uniqueness (of course in these types of posts than, clarity could be made).

Hmmm well you're definitely improving on the battles, though it is an easier battle ;)

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

Chirp from the peanut gallery: It works as "define" as well. It's in connotation, really. Control implies he's a slave to his past (as in, his past forced him to do things); define implies his past is the actual root to who he is/what he does (as in, he has the freedom to choose but tends to choose based on his past). You're probably thinking of the latter.

Putting yet another fic on my to-actually-review list. Sorry for no further comments/lurking the crap out of your story instead of actually giving a direct review.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
As will become evident later on, Bevan's personality was totally reshaped by the taking of his mother. In this case, I think "define" is best. ^^;

Edit: Ninja'd. Thanks for the input, Valentine. ^^ I look forward to your review. :D

Misheard Whisper

Years
You know, I don't think it is an exclusively NZ idiom. I'm not sure it's even an idiom at all. *slaps self for being off-topic* Valentine's right - I couldn't have said it better myself. (as usual . . . *grumbles*)

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
You know, I don't think it is an exclusively NZ idiom. I'm not sure it's even an idiom at all. *slaps self for being off-topic* Valentine's right - I couldn't have said it better myself. (as usual . . . *grumbles*

Yeah, I had meant in general that if it would have occured. Man I miss Aussie exclusive words :(

At work I'd love to say "How ya goin'?" But I wouldn't be surprised if everyone I said that to, would be like "What?". I'd also love to say "Aluminium" instead of the other one :(

But I do say "No worries." (instead of no problem) and "Soda" (instead of pop) which ironically doesn't have much to do with an Aussie influence, but more of my own decisions.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Chapter Five: Forgotten Deeds

Chapter Five: Forgotten Deeds
"You have a lot of nerve showing up here." A blonde-haired woman, both beautiful and angry, glared at the visitor to her house. She had a confident exterior, but her eyes seemed to betray a weariness. Outside, there were armed guards. In reality, this small house, despite its comforts, was a prison.

"It seems I'm not the only one with nerve. You've been talking, haven't you?" Lord Augury strode towards her.

"If it weren't for you, I wouldn't… Evan wouldn't…"

"You speak so stupidly, woman. And yet you seem to have intelligent contacts. Does the name Dagger ring a bell?"

"The terrorist? You paranoid freak." Amanda waved her hand dismissively and attempted to walk away, only to find her legs paralysed.

"It's not wise to be obstinate. I'm a dangerous man, as you well know."

"What are you going to do? Kill me?" Her voice was cold and derisive. "You've ordered your men to stop me from doing that myself. Take off your mask, and then I'll consider helping you."

"I will do no such thing."

"It was because of you that I lost my husband, my son, my life! And now, after five years, you come back here to recruit my help? You sick bastard."

"Your husband is –"

"As much as you like to think that, it's not true. The Evan I married would never succumb to you."

"Amanda, one last chance. One last chance before I move through your mind."

Amanda snorted. "You think I care about that anymore? After what you've done to me? You can have my mind, but not my obedience." A vicious, unconcealed sneer ran across her pretty face. After saying this, she felt every memory in the last five years flash before her eyes in the space of a minute. It was overwhelming.

And with that, Lord Augury strode angrily out from the secluded house, his question unanswered.

*​

It was incredible how effective the flash bracelet was. Despite being deep in this rocky, brown and grey maze of underground tunnels, Bevan could see perfectly. It took three hours, including breaks, but Charlotte confidently lead the way into the burst of daylight.

"Wow," exclaimed Bevan, impressed. "That gave us about a two-day gain on the mountain climbers." Looking ahead, he remarked, "Any surprises?"

"This stretch is naturally tame. But… the Cloaks put up traps here. They change every year – I'm just as in the dark as you are on this one."

Bevan collapsed, breathing heavily. "After that hike, I'm not ready to get hoisted up by the ankle just yet."

Typical rich kid, Charlotte thought to herself.

In the distance, Bevan noticed some tall grass ruffle. Sure enough, a small Pokémon emerged. It was round, furry, and purple, its eyes wide and pink. "Venonat," said Bevan to himself, smiling.

"You can do it, Bevan," said Charlotte encouragingly.

Pulling the Pokéball from his belt, he threw it at the ground, and a now fully recovered Larvitar materialised. "Larvitar," the Pokémon said, immediately understanding.

I have to weaken it. But not knock it unconscious.

"Larvitar, Sandstorm it into that tree!"

Larvitar opened its mouth and released a curved cyclone of sand. Venonat leapt to react, but it was too late: the next thing it knew, it was at the foot of the tree that was previously to the left of it.

Charlotte was impressed: Bevan had learned not to just yell attacks, but to think of strategies. Had he blindly ordered a Sandstorm, Venonat would have been blasted into the straight road beyond, giving it the perfect chance to escape.

Angrily, Venonat leapt forward, its eyes glowing. Suddenly, Larvitar's skin faded into monochrome, and then returned to normal. Damn, Bevan thought. He knew from his studies that this attack was Disable; he could no longer use Sandstorm.

"Larvitar, Bite!"

Larvitar leapt at the small bug, teeth bared. Venonat shook, releasing a wave of psychic energy. Larvitar was knocked back, its attack thwarted. Venonat sprinted forward, getting ready to finish its attacker off with a close-range attack. Charlotte leaned forward. Could Bevan do it?

Venonat stopped, shook with a burst of psychic energy, and in that instant, Bevan yelled, "Iron Defense!"

Larvitar's body became metallic, and with this, repelled many of the psychic waves of Venonat. Being at such a close range, Venonat was struck by its own attack, and ended up suffering more damage than Larvitar, falling to the ground.

"Ram it!"

Larvitar threw his metallic body against Venonat, injuring it almost to the point of unconsciousness. Almost.

Bevan knew this was the time. Grabbing a pokéball from his belt, he threw it at Venonat. It looked like it was about to miss horribly (Bevan was a terrible shot), but it curved midair and struck Venonat just the same. Opening, it absorbed Venonat as red energy, and fell to the ground.

The ball wriggled a bit, but only feebly. After a couple of seconds, the ping came. Bevan had made his first capture.

*​

Amber Gordon sat on a crimson, velvet couch in a small room. There was a bed, a refrigerator, and even a television. The walls had a stripy wallpaper, but as Amber knew from banging on them, they were metallic.

Suddenly, the door opened and a man entered. Or a woman; it was hard to tell, on account of the black clothes that hid everything but two brown eyes.

"Are you another minion?" Her voice was full of contempt and anger. "Do you want another photo shoot to send my brother?"

Closing the door behind him, the masked figure spoke in a deep, masculine voice. "No, Amber, I am Dagger. I'm sorry to do this to you. I take no pleasure in kidnapping the innocent."

Her myrtle eyes narrowed, and she flicked her brown hair in disgust. "Then why did you do it?"

"A handful of the innocent must suffer, unfortunately, to save the innocent millions."

"So what? The end justifies the means?"

"Precisely," remarked Dagger.

"You and my brother, you'd get along, you know. His experiments are for the greater good, as he puts it. I witnessed one, once. A man was being submerged in Seviper poison with electrodes in his head. No anaesthetic. The screams were… unbearable…" She looked away, tears of anger in her eyes.

"One must question which greater good he was aiming for. My guess was a weapon to cause even further suffering." Dagger's eyes were filled with a determined disgust.

"Well, what's yours? What good are you aiming for?"

"The death of Lord Augury, or, as is common for those close to him, He who is Merely a Rumour. He is a shadowy character who possesses control over at least two Oligarchs: your brother, and Samantha Lincoln, the Ears of the Oligarch. We also have good reason to believe that he controls Evan Emerit, the Voice, and Susan Adams, the Eyes."

Amber scoffed. "So, this is all for some conspiracy theory?"

"Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Here's the interesting part – every Oligarch that he controls believes that they are the only one which has a relationship with him. The trick is getting the Oligarchs to realise this, to unravel this web of lies themselves.

"Herein lies a problem. We cannot simply tell the Oligarchs of this secret. To do so would attract Augury's attention, and he would intercept any attempt the moment we started. He is psychic, you see."

Amber made a loud, skeptical snort. "You're insane."

"I assure you, I know perfectly well what I'm doing. In any case, what we must do is cause the Oligarchs to doubt Augury, to question his omnipotence, by kidnapping and murdering their family members. I request the impossible from them: they must reveal Augury's 'secrets'. Not only do his puppets not know these secrets, but even if they did know, Augury could kill them the moment they hypothetically make the decision to seek me out."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"As a courtesy."

The answer, in reality, was that Lord Augury had formed a weak bond with Amber, by learning of her kidnapping and dispatching his men personally to find her. This, coupled with the transfer of such crucial and secret information would be sensed by Augury's formidable abilities.

Why, then, would Dagger want his nemesis to know that his psychic powers and political nature were not a secret? Lord Augury, despite his intelligence, was ruled by his own psychic energy. As such, he was prone to massive bouts of emotion, and to know that he was discovered would cause anger and fear, disproportionate to that which the situation calls for. And with this incredible emotional swing, his enemy might make a dire mistake. And for someone so powerful, his mistakes had considerably worse consequences than those of a more ordinary man.

"So… you're… going to kill me?"

"Yes, Amber. You have half an hour to reflect upon your life. After that, I will send someone in to slit your throat." He said this so calmly, so naturally. The lack of remorse was cold. Cold and terrifying.

"And you think… you're the good guy in all of this?"

"The triumphs of heroes are the only things remembered, no matter how many terrible deeds they stand on."

*​

"Is it done?"

"Yes, master."

The two men sat, each wrapped in the black uniform of the Dagger. "Master Dagger, where do we proceed? Bevan Emerit is very easy to grab…"

"No."

"Sir, what aren't you telling me?"

"Obviously something very important. It may very well result in being safe to tell you, but, as for now, I'm not sure. We're dealing with the most pervasive surveillance line – Augury's powers – and I can't take any chances."

"Do we investigate Susan Adams?"

Dagger shook his head. "Far too dangerous. She is reclusive and suspicious, even for an Oligarch. We need to drag things into the open more before we can get to her. Samantha Lincoln is our only option right now. This is my plan for tomorrow." He handed a piece of paper to his subordinate. It was a letter.

"To the Ears of the Oligarchy,

"Time runs thin. Your husband is dead. Perhaps you didn't realise the severity of the situation, so allow me to reiterate: you spent twenty years with this man. You loved him. He fathered your children. And now he has met his demise prematurely.

"Not to mention, he had similar protection to you. And yet, I broke into your house bloodlessly, your guards completely missing me. True, he did not have Augury watching over him, but ask yourself: how much of your family are you willing to lose?

"A suggestion: pay attention to your own life and those around you. It is your job to do this for every Torcran; a select few should pose little difficulty.

"By the way, if you haven't already done so, open the door."

Misheard Whisper

Years
*whistles* Niiice. Your battle scenes are getting better and better, and I like your portrayal of Dagger. One thing -
Amanda snorted. "You think I care about that anymore? After what you've done to me? You can have my mind, but not my obedience." A vicious, unconcealed sneer ran across her pretty face. After saying this, she felt every memory in the last five years flash before her eyes in the space of a minute. It was overwhelming.

And with that, Lord Augury strode angrily out from the secluded house, his question unanswered.
It took me a minute here to realise she was having her mind read. I feel that it could have been emphasised more, as it sort of happened and moved on without great incident.

Bevan is maturing awful fast . . .

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Ooooooo nice XD

I didn't see any errors there thus far.

I'm not even sure anymore if we're building up in mystery, or getting answers anymore XD

*wonders if his own fic would complete itself*

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Thanks for the review. ^_^

How's this for a more clear sentence: "Immediately afterwards, she felt a tingling in her head. In the space of a minute, Augury probed her mind, every memory in the last five years flashing before her eyes."

Maturing? :s That wasn't the intent of this chapter at all. D: Getting to be a better battler, yes. But I didn't think it was too fast.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Thanks for the review, Feign. ^^ Could you think of any way I could improve?

Misheard Whisper

Years
That's a little better. But some more description may well be in order. Tingling is all very well, but what else? Did it hurt? Did she scream in agony and fall to her knees, clutching her head? (Sorry, I'm sadistic) I just feel that this has great potential as a dramatic scene.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
It's not meant to be dramatic. :S The idea is that Augury can very easily access the memories of others without any adverse effects. After all, five years of memories with only a tingling is nothing to scoff at.

Furthermore, Augury has no interest in being sadistic to that character (not your fault, as the reason why this is hasn't been revealed yet), and, as will also be revealed later on, the power of the subtle is far more terrifying than overt pain.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Thanks for the compliment, dark_giratina. ^_^

Is there any way you could think of that I could improve in that chapter?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Chapter Six: Two Penetrating Eyes

Back from my holiday. This is the result of writing ahead. :D
---
---
CHAPTER SIX: TWO PENETRATING EYES
"Let's go, Charlotte," said Bevan jovially.

"I thought you didn't feel like going."

"Heh – catching a Pokémon – it's given me a new burst of energy."

"Not so fast. You need to heal the Venonat." Bevan pulled out a metal rod about two inches long, and the width of a pin. He withdrew an Oran Berry from his bag, and pierced it deeply with the rod.

"What… are you doing?"

"This is an applier rod – it lets you use items on Pokémon while they're still in their balls."

"Of all the useless inventions," Charlotte snorted.

"No. Not useless. Pokéballs heal and relax Pokémon while they're inside. It's far better for Venonat if it isn't released from this state only to eat a disgusting medicinal berry. Then, when it comes out, it'll be more likely to cooperate." Bevan prodded the top of the Pokéball with the rod, and the instant he did this, the berry materialised into red energy, and was absorbed by the Pokéball.

"It was originally designed as a weapon by the Brain's department," said Bevan. "The idea being that you could stick this into a gun with a harmful item attached to it, and fire. Trouble was, any conscious Pokémon could reject the item, even while inside a Pokéball. So the project was abandoned."

"You mentioned the Brain," said Charlotte, beginning to walk.

"Who's that?" The question, while being a simple one, struck Bevan as being oddly insincere.

"The Brain is an Oligarch," said Bevan, catching up. "Do you know about all the Oligarchs?"

"Only the ones that do press conferences. I obviously know about the Voice, your father, the Ears, the Nose, and the Hands."

"The other two are the Brain and the Eyes. The Brain basically heads the scientific arm, including the health system and the computer infrastructure-"

His explanation was cut off by him being suddenly lifted into the air, upside down by a rope. Although from Charlotte's perspective, it looked rather comical, from Bevan's it was painful and slightly humiliating.

"A little help?"

"Bevan, it's a simple trap. You need to learn how to escape these things yourself."

"You know, this hardly seems fair," said Bevan, awkwardly shaking off his bag and gripping it with one hand. As he rummaged around for a knife, he continued, "I'll set off all the traps, and everyone behind us can just run through."

"Nah, the traps are only this primitive early on. They get mechanical eventually." said Charlotte as Bevan started sawing the rope. "By the way, make sure you don't land on your knife or your tailbone when you fall."

"I'll keep that in mind," said Bevan, teeth gritted, halfway through the rope.

"Seriously, Bevan – I've been caught in one of these traps before – you have to breakfall."

"What?"

"Breakfall! With your position, you'll land on your back, so you need to spread the impact over as-"

Too late. Bevan fell, desperately twisting onto his side. "A-ow…"

"Are you OK?" Charlotte knelt down to examine him.

"I don't think anything's broken, but, that… hurt…" He awkwardly rose, pulling his bag back onto his back. Resuming walking (with Bevan's eyes studying the ground for traps), Charlotte struck up the conversation once again. "So, tell me more about the Oligarchs."

"Like I was saying, the Brain basically runs things like the health system, arms design, the internet, et cetera. My father didn't like him much."

"Oh?"

"He said that Simon – the Brain – was fanatically obsessed with all kinds of cruel and unusual experiments. He told me once of an experiment, where child twins were snatched from their home and put in separate rooms. One was given anaesthetic and attacked by a Haunter, using Nightmare, to see whether the other would feel pain. After a week of no results, they were both executed. My father… he accused him of being a sadist, a freak."

"That is…" Charlotte's features contorted in disgust.

"Horrible," agreed Bevan solemnly.

"And the Eyes – what about her?"

Totally missing the fact that Charlotte seemed to know the Eyes's gender, he explained her function. "My father… never talked much about her, but I do know that her first name is Susan. Her job is to run all the secret police agencies, including the Cloaks. Apparently she talks to the graduating Cloaks every year. It's the only thing remotely close to a press conference that she'll do.

"Even for an Oligarch, she's paranoid. Nobody except her personal guard see her outside of Cloak graduation and the monthly Oligarchy meetings. It was the source of major speculation as to what she was doing for a while – in fact, five years ago, it resulted in this strange rumour."

Charlotte's voice became a little higher. "Oh?"

"Yeah. People in upper government called him, well, He who is Merely a Rumour. I also heard my dad once call him Lord… something or other. Apparently, he was this guy who was controlling all these people high in government, and one of the major suspects was Susan. Needless to say, those who spread this rumour were ruthlessly hunted down and killed."

The conversation was cut short by a beeping noise.

"Uh oh – duck!"

Two red lights on a small metallic box in the ground lit up, and four bladed discs were shot up into the air right in front of the duo.

"Growlithe!"

Trainer's instinct kicking in, Bevan did likewise. "Venonat!"

The discs looped in the air, and curved towards Bevan and Charlotte, two meant for each.

"Ember!"

"Confusion!"

Growlithe leapt forward and spat fiery saliva at the discs, melting their electronic tracking systems and sending them flailing off into completely different directions, one getting stuck in a tree, one flailing pathetically to the ground.

At the same time, Venonat shuddered, releasing a wave of invisible energy at the two dangerous discs, muddling their tracking systems. In the same way as the other two, they flew off helplessly into other directions.

"Nice," said Charlotte. Bevan had improved quickly. She noted this.

"Yeah, I knew about battle strategies and the like, but my first battles were so easy. I felt like I didn't need to use strategies. And then with you, when I needed them... my mind froze up, I guess. Theory and practice are far separated. My grandfather used to say that to my father."

"So, about the Eyes..."

"Yeah?"

"Do you know anything about her? Her personality?"

"Well, like I said – she is paranoid. But apparently in meetings, she would display a kind of detachment. According to my father, she would phase in and out, and when she did pay attention, it would always be to condescend the other Oligarchs, or tear apart their plans. I guess she was intelligent, but – well, I met her once myself."

"And?"

"I kind of got the impression like... only her body was in the room. Like when she was talking, it was a voiceover. Not literally... but, it's hard to describe. If you can imagine not living your own life, but observing it as it moves past, occasionally waking up, only to scold those around you. That's what she seemed like to me."

"How do these people get into power?" Charlotte's voice seemed rueful and dark.

"Huh?"

"Don't you think it's odd? Your father took away your mother, the Brain is a sadist, the Eyes is a schizoid, and from what I've seen of the other three - they don't exactly seem like model people to me."

"What do you think is happening?"

"I... don't know. But something has to change. Soon." She said this with fiery conviction. Bevan was sure that there was something more to this girl, something that she wasn't telling him. And, worst of all, he was beginning to realise something else. She was dangerous.

*​

"Lord Augury, you wished to see me?"

"Susan, yes, please sit down."

The room was dark, as with most meetings with Lord Augury. Susan was wearing a thick black cloak, covering everything except her pale face. Her eyes were cold and grey.

"As you will know doubt have concluded on your own, something's not right with two of your colleagues, the Ears and the Brain. Lincoln's husband and daughter have both been killed, as has Gordon's sister."

"This is correct, my Lord."

Susan Adams had her own personal spies on every single Oligarch. She was certainly one of the most powerful and cunning political minds on the Council of Oligarchs; she had been there for the longest. She was sixty, but looked younger, with all kinds of chemicals injected in her to preserve her youth.

"I must ask that you withdraw this spy network."

"What? My Lord, this network gives me insight into the affairs of all the Oligarchs. It's what makes me so much more powerful than the others. I could order any one of them assassinated – and have done so several times before I met you."

"In any case, as you know, I have my own networks. On your computer, you'll find that you have access to everything you need."

"Are you trying to hide something from me?"

"No, but I don't trust your networks, when dealing with this topic. I have not met these people; I cannot discern psychically who they are and what they're up to, unless I meet every one. And you know better than to reveal all of your spies, even to me."

As Lord Augury said this, he telepathically induced fear and humility into this otherwise cruel and suspicious woman.

"Forgive me, my Lord."

"This Dagger terrorist knows that I'm controlling an Oligarch – he even knows the name Augury. He doesn't know which one. He's testing the other ones; seeing if they crack. And, in the process, creates disharmony amongst the Oligarchs. This is where you come in.

"I have ordered you to stop assassinations in the past, because it is dangerous. But, I may be forced to execute them myself. I need you to be on the lookout for signs of cracking. I will myself keep an eye open, but I need your help."

"Cracking? Why would they crack?"

"Remember last time? People got nervous. People who were suspected of working for me would occasionally pretend to be in on it to protect themselves. Nobody is safe from those higher than them in Torcra. Nobody. The value of people thinking you have a supernatural, all-pervasive friend is incredibly high. So, they, not crack so much as... lie. Either way, it's very damaging."

"My Lord, this Dagger terrorist… he's like nobody we've ever dealt with before. He and his colleagues leave no trace. They can get past my best men. They have something that we don't. And, dare I say it, something that you don't."

"Yes, and I don't know what this is. But whatever they have, I have something better."

The furniture around Susan was lifted, twirled in the air, and thrown back to the ground. In that instant, a surge of rage rushed through Lord Augury. Why must they always question my abilities?

"Do not think for a second," started Augury loudly, "that he is more capable than me. That I can't stop him."

"My Lord, I don't think anything so ridiculous," she replied honestly. "Please, keep your voice down. We don't need anyone rushing in here."

A moment of silence, and then Augury approached Susan.

"One more thing. I want you to appear at the beginning of the Cloak Academy as well as the graduation. The speech is on your desk."

"Why?"

"I have a bad feeling about that batch of Cloaks. And by feeling, I mean a wave of psychic energy. There's someone in there who is not quite right. Someone out of place."

"Do you have any idea what this person is?"

"I get the idea that it's a she."

Susan scowled. She didn't like other women. She saw them as frail and prone to ridiculous bouts of emotion and affection. "It's only a vague feeling, so she's probably not too dangerous. But, if you see anyone who sticks out, who looks suspicious – you know what to do."

"My Lord? Isn't Evan Emerit's son in this batch?"

"Yes, I believe so."

"Do you think he has anything to do with this feeling?"

Augury considered this. "It is… possible. When he gets there, have him interrogated. And whoever's with him."

"We could intercept him earlier than that."

"You can, but you won't. I don't want him harmed, either, without my express consent. Emerit will go off the deep end, and we definitely don't need to make Dagger's job any easier." "Yes, Lord Augury. I'll personally alert the head of the Academy. Is there anything else?"

"No, Susan. You are dismissed."

Last edited:
Back