• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
Hi again!

I have just realised that from the MoveEffect 115 ahead the message always is "but it failed" in the battle. I don't understand, for example, if I move the effect to MoveEffect 114, it works.

I believed that with the solution that FL gave to me the problem had been ended.
Does someone know because there do not work the new effects that I add?

Are you using a version before 2010 May? These versions don't had a fix to unimplemented moves work.
If you do, in "PokeBattle_Move", in the end change

Code:
def PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(battle,move)
 move=PBMove.new(0) if !move
 movedata=PBMoveData.new(move.id)
 return eval(sprintf("PokeBattle_Move_%02X.new(battle,move)",
   movedata.function)) rescue PokeBattle_FailedMove.new(battle,move)
end
To:

Code:
def PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(battle,move)
 move=PBMove.new(0) if !move
 movedata=PBMoveData.new(move.id)
 className=sprintf("PokeBattle_Move_%02X",movedata.function)
 if Object.const_defined?(className)
  return Kernel.const_get(className).new(battle,move)
 else
  return PokeBattle_UnimplementedMove.new(battle,move)
 end
end
And around line 34 in "PokeBattle_MoveEffects" put

Code:
# Superclass for an unimplemented move. If it's a damaging move
# it has no additional effect. If it's a nondamaging move, it always fails.
class PokeBattle_UnimplementedMove < PokeBattle_Move
def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
 if @basedamage>0
  return super(attacker,opponent)
 else
  @battle.pbDisplay("But it failed!")
  return -1
 end
end
end
Both codes are made by poccil.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
So when I use the "EDIT TRAINER" function in the editor included with essentials, it throws this error at me when I try and save:

"---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `pbSaveTrainerNames' for nil:NilClass

PokemonTrainers:66:in `pbConvertTrainerData'

PokemonTrainers:99:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonEditor:3411:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1522:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1547:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:252:in `pbFadeOutIn'

OK
---------------------------"

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
If you want to edit the External Editor's scripts, go into PokemonTrainers, find line 66 and make it say pbSaveTrainerTypes instead of pbSaveTrainerNames.

If you don't want to edit that yourself, the fix will be in the next update.

Hi again!

I have just realised that from the MoveEffect 115 ahead the message always is "but it failed" in the battle. I don't understand, for example, if I move the effect to MoveEffect 114, it works.

I believed that with the solution that FL gave to me the problem had been ended.
Does someone know because there do not work the new effects that I add?
Older versions of Essentials only use the last 2 digits of the function code (as written in the PBS file) to determine which effect it has (in PokeBattle_MoveEffects). What it's actually doing is looking at class PokeBattle_Move_15, rather than PokeBattle_Move_115. I think that's part of your problem.

The latest version of Essentials (released yesterday) uses 3-digit function codes, which allows over 4000 different effects. Use that instead. If/when you do, do NOT replace moves.txt with your own. Instead, add your new moves to the moves.txt that's already there. Make sure to check which function codes you can use for your new effects - see the Function codes page on the wiki for more details.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Maruno, would you suggest that it would be worth moving my work to this new release of essentials? I haven't changed much in the way of scripts, just a few X and Y values here and there mostly. All my work lies in maps, tilesets and events. Oh, and seeing as no one replied to my earlier post, here it is again:

"Hey guys, I've been having some trouble in regards to my BGMs. I've found that during a certain sequence in which I've altered the BGM to differ from the default one for the map, saving and reloading causes the BGM to revert to the default map one. It's rather annoying and it becomes impractical to prevent saving in this sequence.

Is there are way by which I can memorise the BGM playing when one clicks save, and then have it automatically start that BGM again when the save is loaded? Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I've tried using the Memorise/Restore BGM events, which failed (unless I went about it wrong). I'm useless at scripting but if it comes to that then I'll try my best to understand it. Thanks in advance guys."

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
How can I start out the battle with the apposing pokemon already on the field?
Basically, here's what I'm doing.
The boss of my game is a person who has become superpowerful by deceiving arceus, suicune, and landorus.
Basically, I've put him as a trainer to easily munipulate certen aspects of him.
e.g.
a.i, held item, etc.
I need it to skip the introduction of normal trainer battles cause this would look weird.
roshatoe sent out roshatoe.
yeah, don't look good.
hahaha.
One other thing.
To give him extra stuff, I need to know how to give him a massive hp stat, above the base 255,
and I wish to give him more than 4 moves.
How can I do all of this?

Maruno

Years
Maruno, would you suggest that it would be worth moving my work to this new release of essentials? I haven't changed much in the way of scripts, just a few X and Y values here and there mostly. All my work lies in maps, tilesets and events.
Yes, that would be best (assuming you want the new features). The vast majority of changes are in the scripts, so your maps and tilesets can just be copied over. I hope you've marked which scripts you've changed (I put #CHANGED at the end of every line I tweak in my game), so that you know what to edit in the new version. It'll be much easier to put your changes into the new Essentials than it will be to upgrade your version.

I don't know about your music problem.

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2023
I found a small error in the move effect for Heat Crash and Heavy Slam.

In PokeBattle_MoveEffects for the class PokeBattle_Move_09B in def pbBaseDamage the returned value is the variable damage, but should be basedmg.

I'm gonna send this to Maruno as a PM, so it makes it into the next update of essentials.

Edit: the same error occurs for the Electro Ball, class PokeBattle_Move_099

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
Older versions of Essentials only use the last 2 digits of the function code (as written in the PBS file) to determine which effect it has (in PokeBattle_MoveEffects). What it's actually doing is looking at class PokeBattle_Move_15, rather than PokeBattle_Move_115. I think that's part of your problem.

The latest version of Essentials (released yesterday) uses 3-digit function codes, which allows over 4000 different effects. Use that instead. If/when you do, do NOT replace moves.txt with your own. Instead, add your new moves to the moves.txt that's already there. Make sure to check which function codes you can use for your new effects - see the Function codes page on the wiki for more details.

But if I update my Pokemon Essential, I am going to lose all the changes that I did in the script... :'(
Some parts of the game that I am doing use parts of the script with switches and other things that I have added.

There is another way of doing that the MoveEffects it has 3 digits?

Maruno

Years
I found a small error in the move effect for Heat Crash and Heavy Slam.

In PokeBattle_MoveEffects for the class PokeBattle_Move_09B in def pbBaseDamage the returned value is the variable damage, but should be basedmg.

I'm gonna send this to Maruno as a PM, so it makes it into the next update of essentials.

Edit: the same error occurs for the Electro Ball, class PokeBattle_Move_099
Thanks for the bug report. These will be fixed in the next release.

But if I update my Pokemon Essential, I am going to lose all the changes that I did in the script... :'(
Some parts of the game that I am doing use parts of the script with switches and other things that I have added.

There is another way of doing that the MoveEffects it has 3 digits?
If you replace all the PokeBattle script sections with the new ones, that will add in the new function codes. You should also use the new version of moves.txt, and add onto that.

I'm improving Essentials. It's up to you to make sure you can upgrade your games (if you want to) - as I've said, the easiest way I think to do this is to mark every line you change. It's good practise to keep a record of what you've done.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
So is it Poccil or Maruno who is working on Pokemon Essentials these days?

Have to ask as Upokecenter is down and I don't know where to get the new Essentials.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Poccil has handed Essentials over to the members at Essentials Wiki, so basically it's Maruno, and anyone who wants to contribute, who's working on it. ... I think.

Maruno

Years
So is it Poccil or Maruno who is working on Pokemon Essentials these days?

Have to ask as Upokecenter is down and I don't know where to get the new Essentials.
As Cilerba said. A link to the downloads is in my signature, which incidentally appears right above your post.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Maruno, I got the new Essentials and copied everything over. It took a bit of time to re-import my graphics and such, as well as to redirect my map transfers, but everything was successful. I also made note to put "#CHANGED *what I changed* ON *date*" on any script alterations I've made. Thanks for the advice.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Oh, lol, silly me. Well, I started making my game, and I'm not sure which version I'm not. I got this error when trying to create a new trainer type.

Pokemon Essentials

PokemonEditor:3075:in `pbTrainerTypeEditorNew'

PokemonEditor:3396:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Kyle\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

And this when trying to make a new trainer battle using an existing type:

Pokemon Essentials

PokemonTrainers:99:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonEditor:3411:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Kyle\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Years
Hi guys, maybe a silly question, but I was trying to get these pre-battle mugshots, but for some reason, I can not find the file or code that links to the pictures and their location...
Can somebody tells me step by step how to set up one?

Maruno

Years
Oh, lol, silly me. Well, I started making my game, and I'm not sure which version I'm not. I got this error when trying to create a new trainer type.
See the previous page.

We do appreciate people looking around at least a little for answers before asking the same questions again and again.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I tried that. My line 66 of PokemonTrainers says PbSaveTrainerBattles, line 65 is already PbSaveTrainerTypes. Anything?

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
Well I have few doubts
1)I make a event which should stay in a particular area for just that one time.I implement it by putting the event in some tree or some other surrounding are with opacity 0 and move the character to the desired location and set opacity to 255.Doing so can make the event appear only once.While this works well normally if I happen to save the game in the middle..every thing is reset. That is the event will return to the tree I placed it originally with opacity set 0.Ofcourse to prevent this all I have to do is make sure the player doesn't get a chance to save but..I wanted to know from you guys is there any other method for this?

2)I have read somewhere on the forums how to use scene_movie to play a avi video.I have did the same thing used this command
$scene = Scene_Movie.new("INTRO")
Ofcourse I placed a video in the suitable format in the movies folder.Howver I couldn't understand where to place the movies folder..so I placed it both in the graphics folder and in the main folder where the project is saved.Unfortunately the video didn't play and all that appeared to me is a black screen.

I tried my best to explain my problems but if you want me to explain better i'll provide screen shots and the exact script I used.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
I have two questions:

1) How can I stop that bouncing effect with the pokemon battle sprite and Health Bar during a Pokemon battle? you know how when you select a pokemon and they sort of bounce up and down?

2) For some reason, the BGM for pokemon battles seems to play at a lower volume than the original track, because when I play the battle bgm through RMXP's sound test, the volume is perfect. How can I fix this?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Pretty simple question here:

PBDayNight.isNight?() returns as either true or false

The documentation says that you should be able to use the method in a conditional branch, the question is how?

Here's the error I have been getting, guess there must be some other syntax to use......

-EDIT- Got it working, there was already a predefined switch for certain time periods, derp.

problemdy.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back