• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Filling in the cracks; 5th Gen RMT.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
As the name states, this is just a quick round up of my team, I've had it for quite awhile now and it can hold its own against most other teams. But obviously no teams perfect and I feel this one still has a few cracks to fill. So if you all could be kind enough to just take a look, every (helpful lolz) comment is appreciated! So anyway, here's the 6.

472.gif

Gliscor@ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
Poison Heal
Ice Fang - Earthquake - Swords Dance - Protect
252 HP | 184 Def | 72 Spe

My lead, this new Ev spread is so much better than the old Sand Veil 252Hp | 252 Spe spread, the extra Def Ev's have made him stay in much more longer along with Poision Heal. Protect is there to scout for the oh so common HP Ice etc and activate the Toxic Orb, Swords Dance can make him quite scary once he has +1 or 2 under his belt and Ice Fang and Earthquake provide good coverage.

121.gif

Starmie@ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
Thunderbolt - Ice Beam - Rapid Spin - Psyshock
6 Special Defense | 252 Special Attack | 252 Speed

So much coverage! Psyshock to to with Blissey faster, and also a very speedy rapid spinner! Tempted to try putting Recover on her.

635.gif

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Levitate
Dragon Pulse - Dark Pulse - Flamethrower - Focus Blast
6Hp | 252 Sp.Atk | 252 Spe

My badboy choiced pokemon, I ran modest because the scarf makes up for lost speed. He can also make a good revenge killer along with Jolteon with the Scarf. And also again like Starmie his has a wide type coverage which is nice. Is there anything that could do a better job though?

205.gif

Forretress @ leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Sturdy
Spikes - Volt Switch - Stealth Rock - Rapid Spin
252 Hp | 252 SpD | 4Def

My wall and SR'er, working pretty well now, alot better than my old one Ferrothorn since so many people have a counter for him. He's also my Rapid Spinner so quite a crucial guy in such long battles so try to keep him in as long as possible, however he can end up been setup fodder, so I've whacked Volt Switch on him over Gyro Ball to get out as fast as possible.

212.gif

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Technician
Swords Dance - Bullet Punch - Brick Break - X-Scissor
6 Hp | 252 Atk | 252 Spd

My main sweeper, well that is if he has the time to set up properly, not many thingscan survive a SD booster, technician boosted, STAB boosted Bullet punch without loosing a fair chunk of health. I've managed to produce a fair amount of sweeps with this guy so I'm tempted to keep him over the 'bench' pokemon down below, it's just the x4 fire weakness him and Forretress possess which makes me think that could really puncture my team if say Starmie was out.

135.gif

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Volt Absorb
HP Ice - Shadow Ball - Thunderbolt - Volt Switch
4Hp | 252 Sp.Atk | 252 Spe

And finally my cleaner, outspeeds most things and makes a decent revenge killer, HP Ice to surprise any other Gliscor and Dragon types, Shadow Ball gives needed coverage whilst T-Bolt gives great STAB and Volt Switch helps me escape attacks which Jolt is to frail to take.

So that's about it, please feel free to comment. Thanks for reading!

EDIT; Made a few changes to the team;
~ Swapped Scizor for Bulk Up set Conkeldurr
~ Swapped Forretress for Sp.Def Heatran
~ Made Starmie my Rapid Spinner

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi there! :D

ShinySalamence888 said:
121.gif

Starmie@ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
Thunderbolt - Ice Beam - Surf - Psychic
6 Special Defense | 252 Special Attack | 252 Speed

Great type variety helps me alot, and decided to switch Choice Specs for Life Orb so I can abuse all the coverage even more now still with some added power in there. One of my many special attackers, not so much as a sweeper really, just there to annoy and force the opponent to switch out to avoid getting a super effective in the face.
Passive damage like the Life Orb, entry hazards, and Weather conditions tend to whittle Starmie down relatively quickly. I recommend you replace Psychic with Recover. However, if you feel that Starmie needs more offense, Hidden Power [Fire] is probably your best bet. It will help Starmie deal with some of its biggest threats, Ferrothorn and Scizor. Psyshock can also be used as an alternate STAB attack, giving Starmie the ability to 2HKO Calm Blissey. But, HP [Fire] and Psyshock have little utility beyond these specific threats, so Recover is your best option.

ShinySalamence888 said:
212.gif

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Technician
Swords Dance - Bullet Punch - Brick Break - X-Scissor
6 Hp | 252 Atk | 252 Spd

My main sweeper, well that is if he has the time to set up properly, not many thingscan survive a SD booster, technician boosted, STAB boosted Bullet punch without loosing a fair chunk of health. I've managed to produce a fair amount of sweeps with this guy so I'm tempted to keep him over the 'bench' pokemon down below, it's just the x4 fire weakness him and Forretress possess which makes me think that could really puncture my team if say Starmie was out.

If your Scizor is having a hard time setting up Swords Dance, you can always run a bulkier EV spread of 252 HP / 40 Attack / 216 Special Defense to help cushion the blows. Because those Technician boosted STABs are so powerful, Scizor can still tear through teams with minimal EV investment in Attack. Speaking of Technician boosted STABs, use Bug Bite over X-Scissor. Because of the boost, Bug Bite actually has a base power that's greater than X-Scissor.

ShinySalamence888 said:
635.gif

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Levitate
Dragon Pulse - Dark Pulse - Flamethrower - Focus Blast
6Hp | 252 Sp.Atk | 252 Spe

My badboy choiced pokemon, I ran modest because the scarf makes up for lost speed. He can also make a good revenge killer along with Jolteon with the Scarf. And also again like Starmie his has a wide type coverage which is nice.

If you're using a Choice Scarf, I think your Hydreigon will benefit more from having the most powerful moves in at it's disposal (Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse and Fire Blast > Flamethrower). Also, Scarf Hydreigon often works well with U-Turn instead of Dark Pulse to scout switch-ins. The last thing I want to suggest is a Timid [+Speed; -Attack] nature to get the most out of Hydreigon's Speed, and place less emphasis on it's Special Attack, something it has plenty of already and is being compensated for with moves like Draco Meteor and Fire Blast.

That's all I have for now. Nice team and good luck! :3

Calamity

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
Hey there! Thanks for all the pointers, I'll defiantly consider giving Starmie recover since I do like her staying in as long as possible due to all the type coverage she has.

I also forgot to mention my 'bench' pokemon which is the Bulk Up set Conkeldurr, I was wondering whether he would be a more suitable, bulkier replacement for Scizor since I already have one pokemon with a 4x weakness to fire?

Those changes to Hydreigon seem pretty good but I can't really afford to be tampering with natures as of now haha, and I really don't like the accuracy of moves like those with my luck. -_- I'll try it out anyway though!

Thanks again for all the tips! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Gliscor is best off as Impish; Jolly doesn't do much when you don't have too many Speed EVs.

For Starmie, you can use Psyshock over Psychic to hit Blissey or Recover to heal off damage taken, including Life Orb recoil.

Bug Bite benefits from Technician and has more PP than X-Scissor, so you can replace X-Scissor with that.

Calamity

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
I can't really be changing natures right now. :( And also Scizor can only learn Bug Bite from 4th gen. Thanks for the help though! Anymore comments would be greatly appreciated. :)

Pkmn-Br33der

Consistent Trader;D
Years
I like your team but I suggest a fire pokemon will help out alot, maybe Heatran or arcanine with ability, flash fire to absorb those fire moves then getting a fire boost, and since its fire it can kill those grass type pokemon for you or popular pokemon such as scizor and forrestress and SubPunchBreloom. Another suggestion is to take out forrestress and put in one of the fire pokes i mentioned on the top and when you do that, try to teach gliscor stealth rock instead of sword dance, unless you want a sweeper, but I think you already have alot of sweepers so....and the Heatran will be a good choice because it has a good variety of moves and has a move called explosion to just give some damage and maybe a chance to kill something! That is it for now i am tired.

Calamity

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
I like your team but I suggest a fire pokemon will help out alot, maybe Heatran or arcanine with ability, flash fire to absorb those fire moves then getting a fire boost.

Cheers for the tips man, I don't know where Arcanine would fit in my team. I'll give Heatran a thought, does it learn SR? The Pokemon I'm thinking to help this weakness is Bulk Up set Conkeldurr, he's quite bulky and even if he gets burnt his Guts ability makes him hit even harder.

try to teach gliscor stealth rock instead of sword dance

Gliscor can only learn SR in 4th gen so that's not possible. :(

a move called explosion to just give some damage

That move got nerfed this gen so is basically inferior now. Thanks for everything though!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Heatran does learn Stealth Rock, but only in Gen IV:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Stealth Rock
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

Calamity

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
Thanks Platinum, I'll look around and try find some bulkier sets for him though, since I'd want him to replace Forretress. I've also swapped Scizor for Bulk Up set Conkeldurr to see how he does.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Here's a bulkier Heatran set with Stealth Rock.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Defense
Calm [+Special Defense; -Attack]
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock / Roar
- Protect
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

This set is geared more towards Special Defense, the reason being that Lava Plume's high burn rate (30%) will help Heatran glace off physical Attacks anyway. Because of Heatran's base 106 Defense and Special Defense and immunity to Toxic, it can function well as a wall. Obviously, if you want Heatran to hit harder, PlatinumDude's set is the best available (unless you want a Choice Set, which is equally as good but lacks Stealth Rock). However, since you're looking to replace Forretress, I think this Heatran set will be a little more organic to your original idea. It's pretty straight forward too. Roar can be used over Stealth Rock for phazing, but it's best used when you already have a team member with Stealth Rock because of Heatran's ability to cause switches. Protect is the primary choice of utility move to help Heatran scout for choiced Pokemon, stall for Leftover recovery, and accumulate status damage on the opponent. And finally, Toxic lets Heatran deal with bulky waters and things like Blissey. Will-O-Wisp could be used for oncoming Tyranitar, but it's generally outclassed by Lava Plume on this set.

Let us know if you need a different set.

Calamity

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
Here's a bulkier Heatran set with Stealth Rock.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Defense
Calm [+Special Defense; -Attack]
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock / Roar
- Protect
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

This set is perfect! I'll definately try this guy over Forry. I've been needing something like this to deal with Jirachi etc.

Back