• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen IV team

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
  • I decided to dust off the older games and make a competitive team one more time It needs a lot of work and some of my decision's are based solely on the work involved :/

Garchomp@choice band, jolly
    earthquake
    outrage
    stone edge/brick break
    coverage move

Latios@choice specs, Timid
    Tbolt
    surf( might replace with ice beam but surf hits steels and rhyperior better than ice beam)
    Dragon pulse
    draco meteor

Metagross@life orb (set really needs help I messed it up)
    meteor mash
    earthquake
    thunderpunch/ice punch
    agility

Scizor@???,adamant
    superpower
    bullet punch
    swords dance
    pursuit/u-turn

so that's what I have so far latios and garchomp are staying no matter what they're just too good I'm open to suggestions about the movesets however, I think I should take out 1 of the steel's but which one?? and for the last 2 slots I was thinking infernape and milotic but milotic is a pain to evolve with the right nature and iv's and infernape cant take too many hits but they're arent and good fire types really. Is vaporeon as good as everbody says? I've never used/bred one before so I wouldn't know all help would be appreciated and please give a sample movelist for suggested pokemon thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Garchomp and Latios are Ubers in Gen IV, which means you can't use them in OU teams. If you want to keep Garchomp that badly, it doesn't need coverage moves outside of Stone Edge because Dragon + Ground have good enough coverage already. Same applies to Latios, but Ice Beam is redundant with its Dragon STAB:

Garchomp:
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Dragon Claw
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

Latios:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Grass Knot
    -Thunder
    -Recover/Hidden Power (Fire)/Dragon Pulse
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Soul Dew (if it's banned, Choice Specs or Life Orb)

(as I said before, Garchomp and Latios are Ubers, so I'll let someone else find Pokemon in OU as substitutes)

Metagross' set looks good, but the EV spread should be 60 HP/252 Atk/196 Spe.

If Scizor is using Swords Dance, it shouldn't be using U-turn, as doing so would erase its Attack boosts as it switches:
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Brick Break/Superpower
    -Bug Bite/Roost/Quick Attack
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Technician

Infernape has high Speed to compensate for its poor defenses, so yeah, it's quite good as long as you support it well:
    -Overheat/Fire Blast
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot/U-turn
    -Stone Edge/Mach Punch
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/64 SAtk/192 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    EVs: 64 Atk/252 SAtk/192 Spe

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast/Close Combat
    -Grass Knot/Vacuum Wave
    Nature: Timid/Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge/Mach Punch

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -U-turn
    -Stone Edge
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Fire Blast/Overheat
    -Close Combat
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Grass Knot/U-turn
    EVs: 64 Atk/252 SAtk/192 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Murt93

Battle Amateur
    Years
  • Thank you that was a very in depth answer so now I know infernape is a nice choice
    I think I'll run the close combat,overheat,u-turn,mach punch set(stone edge is to inaccurate and mach punch is for focus sash user's)

My friend's and I base our tiers on what's allowed in the battle tower in that particular game so garchomp and Latios are okay but soul dew is OP so latios will have choice specs
    just some questions for you
    why thunder over Tbolt? anything that I need to die with Tbolt for e.g. Lapras should die to specs Tbolt my latios' sp.atk is 180 so thats 270 with specs?
    dragon claw instead of brick break? I know its nice to not be locked in but brick break hits some guys for a little more damage than earthquake/outrage would like snorlax,bronzong,lapras,dewgong I know the last 2 are hit with stone edge but it misses so often its not reliable enough
    metagross ev spread is 56/252/200 it has 31 Iv's in attack should I breed a new one with 31 IV's in speed?

If I were to take out scizor what would be a nice replacement? was thinking dusknoir,rotom-w someone bulky that doesn't add 2 many weaknesses
    also I need a bulky water type(not gyarados) and milotic is a pain to breed right so my options are basically everything else vaporeon,swampert,slowbro,cloyster,kingdra,blastoise e.t.c.
    pure water would probably be the best but as I've said I've never used/bred a vaporeon before and Blastoise is subpar and the rest bring in some weaknesses I could do with out,whats your opinion?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thank you that was a very in depth answer so now I know infernape is a nice choice
    I think I'll run the close combat,overheat,u-turn,mach punch set(stone edge is to inaccurate and mach punch is for focus sash user's)

My friend's and I base our tiers on what's allowed in the battle tower in that particular game so garchomp and Latios are okay but soul dew is OP so latios will have choice specs
    just some questions for you
    why thunder over Tbolt? anything that I need to die with Tbolt for e.g. Lapras should die to specs Tbolt my latios' sp.atk is 180 so thats 270 with specs?
    dragon claw instead of brick break? I know its nice to not be locked in but brick break hits some guys for a little more damage than earthquake/outrage would like snorlax,bronzong,lapras,dewgong I know the last 2 are hit with stone edge but it misses so often its not reliable enough
    metagross ev spread is 56/252/200 it has 31 Iv's in attack should I breed a new one with 31 IV's in speed?

If I were to take out scizor what would be a nice replacement? was thinking dusknoir,rotom-w someone bulky that doesn't add 2 many weaknesses
    also I need a bulky water type(not gyarados) and milotic is a pain to breed right so my options are basically everything else vaporeon,swampert,slowbro,cloyster,kingdra,blastoise e.t.c.
    pure water would probably be the best but as I've said I've never used/bred a vaporeon before and Blastoise is subpar and the rest bring in some weaknesses I could do with out,whats your opinion?
    The reason why I suggested Dragon Claw over Brick Break is because Dragon + Ground + Rock already have good coverage together. Also, a supereffective unSTABed Brick Break does as much damage as a neutral STAB Earthquake against Normal Pokemon like Snorlax. In other words, Fighting and Ground have redundant coverage. Garchomp is also bulky enough to afford the occasional miss from Stone Edge. A STAB neutral Outrage also does nearly as much damage as a unSTABed supereffective Stone Edge.

Thunder is for the possibility that your opponent could be using Rain Dance, but Thunderbolt is still a viable substitute.

If you can't be bothered to re-breed Metagross, just keep it.

Your best bet for a bulky Water is Swampert because of its good bulk and support options:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf/Roar/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Vaporeon is also a bulky Water that you can use, but it plays differently than Swampert:
    -Wish
    -Surf
    -Protect
    -Hidden Power (Electric)/Ice Beam/Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/224 Def/36 SDef

or
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Acid Armor/Wish/Aqua Ring
    -Surf/Roar
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 Spe

Murt93

Battle Amateur
    Years
  • its a coin toss between wish passing and swampert :/
    I'll breed a new metagross because I really need it to be faster than most of its threats after one agility
    I think I'll run with Infernape,garchomp,Metagross,Swampert,Latios and Dusknoir instead of scizor I know a spin blocker isnt really necessary as I'll only have stealth rock but dusknoir is pretty bulky and scizor isnt needed really
    what would be the best 2 stats to put 31 IV's into as I can only make 2 perfect with the power item's
    hp and def or hp an sp.def?

Murt93

Battle Amateur
    Years
  • Just an update
    Finished garchomp Jolly 169 speed 180 atk EQ, stone edge,outrage,dragon claw
    Finished swampert decided to throw the 31 into Def EQ,Ice beam,stealth rock,protect
    Latios has remained unchanged though I might drop surf for grass knot
    Rebred Metagross 31 Ivs in attack 28 in speed ( I got lazy ) Tpunch,Meteor mash, agility, EQ
    Have to get my hands on some form of infernape so I can breed my own
    Decided to run rotom-H over Dusknoir as its Ghost/electric in gen 4 and has a lot more resitances and 107/107 defenses Overheat,Tbolt,shadow ball,pain split 252 HP 208 Def 48 sp.atk Bold natured?

Back