• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Xerneas looks amazing, the other one is pretty meh. But that's how I like it, for me there's been a main legendary with a way better design than the other since R/S/E which has made it easy for me to choose which version to buy.

Groudon > Kyogre, Dialga > Palkia, Reshiram > Zekrom

Ho-oh vs Lugia was a bit closer though. Anyway I'm happy with the designs for this reason.
I agree with you, almost, completely. The only difference is that I liked Kyogre's design more than Groudon's. So I purchased Sapphire.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe Xerneas and Yvetal are the ones behind evolution? As in real life evolution, not the metamorphosis kind. Maybe they're based on the idea that some superior creature at some point messed with Human's genes, giving them superior cognitive abilities compared to other animals. Maybe the villains will want to become superior, to become a physical god by using them to evolve further?

Years
Yeah it is. Some of this speculation would make good story ideas xD

Wonder if these two will be as connected as gen 3 and 4's mascots. Or if they'll be like Ho-oh and Lugia.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Yeah it is. Some of this speculation would make good story ideas xD

Wonder if these two will be as connected as gen 3 and 4's mascots. Or if they'll be like Ho-oh and Lugia.

Maybe or maybe not.

So judging from the name of the game X and Y. I'd say they are coordinates or variables, though I do think they're mostly variable related or something like a missing link sort of thingy. Yeah maybe they're the one that caused evolution to happen or something like that.

Years
I'm hoping Xerneas is Grass/Electric, and Yvetal is Dark/Flying. Though can also see Xerneas being Steel/Grass, Steel, Steel/Electric, Steel/Rock, Rock/Electric.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I think you're setting your expectations high by assuming they are both dual types just like that.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I'm not feeling the Xerneas being part grass type idea......I think it's more likely we could be looking at a Psychic/Steel type or possibly Electric/Steel? (It does look like it could use electric moves)

On the other hand maybe it won't be Steel at all and be a new type combination, Psychic/Electric? The heavy thud we heard in the trailer might be a red herring.

Yveltal looks to me like it's Dark/Flying.

If Xerneas was Psychic/Electric and Yveltal Dark/Flying they would complement each other fairly well. (They would both have some way to be super effective against the other)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think you're setting your expectations high by assuming they are both dual types just like that.

But chances are they mos likely will be. Most other mascots have been dual typed. :x

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
But chances are they mos likely will be. Most other mascots have been dual typed. :x

with the "other" type being Flying or Dragon, which are both pretty much just common sense, not intentionally "omg lets make them fancy dual types"

they all always embody one distinct element.
That's why I think things like Electric/Psychic are over the top expectations. Especially when Yveltal is likely to be Dark...with Flying merely because it flies

Years
Those are my desires, my expectations aren't always my desires and vise versa. I expect Xerneas to be pure Steel tbh (I even listed it in the post you quoted earlier).

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Those are my desires, my expectations aren't always my desires and vise versa. I expect Xerneas to be pure Steel tbh (I even listed it in the post you quoted earlier).

Oh I missed it.
pure Steel somehow fits if Yveltal is Dark now that I think of it. Both being later superior additions of existing types in a way.

They're like the exotic ends on the type chart, Dark being a more aggresive and mean version of the more common Poison and Steel being the ultra defensive that Rock wasn't even really trying to be.

Reminds me think of Sableye and Mawile!
Note that although Sableye is also secondary Ghost, its main type is still Dark for being a creepy sneaky critter more than anything. And it could be the similar case with Xerneas and Yveltal being Steel and Dark respectively, but Yveltal having the extra Flying for common sense.

I like it!
And Steel doesn't only represent metals and alloys, but also an artificial subtheme, which might be appropriate depending on what role genetics play in this.

Ignoring everything we have, I wish we would see a main Grass mascot for once.. We've had Fire, Electric, Ice, Water and Ground, Psychic, Steel..even Ghost, but no Grass uber mascot? It seems like one of the obvious to do before resorting to more exotic things and unique combinations.
Xerneas is the closest we got so far, but who knows.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Xerneas would have a big advantage over Xerneas though if it's steel, which... makes sense given it's light-ish and could represent good!

Red99

World Champion
Years
If rumors were true, and there really is going to be a light type, then I would guess Xerneas to be steel and light type. I also like the fact that it is based off of the forest guardian from 'Princess Mononoke'.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Xerneas: Grass/Steel
Yveltal: Flying/Dark

Then neither has a type advantage (SE of Flying->Grass negated by Steel).

Forever battle of Light vs. Dark yay~

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I can definitely see Dark/Flying and Grass/Steel for the two of them. As stated, the typings and relation to each other don't matter that much, but aesthetically speaking those typings definitely seem to make sense.

Years
I tried to get abilities talked about earlier but not much came up...so maybe it is too only, though I'll give you my two cents. Maybe if Xerneas is rock type it could have Rhyperior's (and Camerupt's) ability. Or they could just give it a variation of it. Yvetal I see as having intimidate...

Last edited:
Back