• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A little doubles combo

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2016
    After a bit (or a lot) of adjusting, here's my current doubles team...

Bisharp
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Defiant
    Item: Dark Gem
    Moves:
    1. Sucker Punch
    2. Iron Head
    3. Night Slash
    4. Protect
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD

Volcarona
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Swarm
    Item: Lum Berry
    Moves:
    1. Bug Buzz
    2. Quiver Dance
    3. Heat Wave
    4. Protect
    EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

Salamence
    Ability: Intimidate
    Item: Life Orb
    Moves:
    1. Dragon Claw
    2. Crunch
    3. Earthquake
    4. Tailwind
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

Metagross
    Ability: Clear Body
    Item: Occa Berry (Steel Gem?)
    Moves:
    1. Metoer Mash
    2. Zen Headbutt
    3. Bullet Punch
    4. Hammer Arm
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def

Thundurus-I
    Ability: Prankster
    Item: Electric Gem
    Moves:
    1. Taunt
    2. Hidden Power Ice
    3. Thunderbolt
    4. Discharge
    EVs: 192 Spe/252 SpA/64 SpD

Rotom Wash
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Moves:
    1. Hydro Pump
    2. Hidden Power Ice
    3. Thunderbolt
    4. Trick
    EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

So, that's my team. I have a bit of a problem with Trick Room, because most of my Pokemon are meant to be kinda fast, with the exception of Metagross and Bisharp. Metagross has Bullet Punch for priority, and Thundurus has Prankster, so I can guarantee a few fast hits (except for Prankster, all I can get off is a Taunt, hopefully preventing TR in the first place). But if, somehow, a TR ends up getting through, I'm kinda stuck, especially if I'm on a wifi battle (you can only use 4 Pokemon, so chances are I won't have both Bisharp and Metagross). Anyways, this is one thing I'd like to fix.

This team could still use a little work, but it's not coming too bad. I don't have all of the Pokemon trained yet, though, so I can't really post too much of a strategy. If anyone has any comments for strategies, they'd be awesome to hear!

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Is this doubles VGC or doubles Smogon? This is important because there's key differences between the two, especially on the clauses and the legendaries allowed in battle.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • On Salamence, go with a Timid Nature and move the Attack EVs into SpA. And use this moveset;
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -HP Flying
    -Protect

Physical Salamence is not very good. Outrage and Dragon Claw are fairly awful STABs in Doubles. Only reason to use Salamence over Latios is that it has Intimidate, access to Fire Blast, and Flying STAB.

As for Bisharp; swap Inner Focus for Defiant, swap Stealth Rock and X-Scissor for Sucker Punch and Protect. Use a Dark Gem instead of a Quick Claw.

To clarify:

Salamence@Dragon Gem
    Intimidate
    Timid Nature
    4 HP / 4 Def / 248 Spa / 4 SpD / 248 Spe
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -HP Flying
    -Protect

Bisharp@Dark Gem
    Defiant
    Adamant Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Sucker Punch
    -Low Kick
    -Iron Head
    -Protect

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2016
    I've never heard of Smogon doubles, so I guess its VGC. So far, I've just been using it in random wifi battles, but I'm hoping to do a bit more with it later on, once I've worked on it for a bit longer.
    I made the Salamence a physical attacker because of Whimsicott. I throw up a safeguard, which protects me from all status conditions, obviously, and is more handy than you might imagine. Then I use Swagger on Salamence, boosting its Attack, not its Sp. Attack, not to mention that Salamence's base Attack stat is higher than its base Sp. Attack. I could just get rid of Whimsicott altogether and run a Special Salamence, but then Bisharp is my only physical attacker. I think this would unbalance my team a little bit, and then, if Salamence fainted, I'd get completely walled by a Blissey or something like that (at least I think it's Blissey that has all the Sp. Defense and no Defense).
    The reason I gave Bisharp Inner Focus was to protect myself from Fake Out. I suppose my opponent doesn't really know whether or not I have Inner Focus or not, so I could just hope that they don't chance it (especially because of my high Defense stat and being a Steel-type). Defiant might be a good choice instead, but who hits a Bisharp with a Dark-type move? Bisharp would have a 4X resistance, not to mention worrying that I might just have Defiant? The only exception I can think of for this is perhaps a Sucker Punch or switching in to a Pursuit. Either way, I might switch it because, as I said before, I don't really have that much to worry about with Fake Out.
    I will also say that Protect would be very helpful on Bisharp, in what I've noticed battling with him so far. Sucker Punch may also prove to be useful, but then what about my entry hazards? I'd be running a team with none, and that's a dangerous thing to do. I've seen several people say that Stealth Rock is the best move in the game, and I know that this is not far from the truth. Sucker Punch would be great to have, but then what can I put entry hazards on?
    If I did go for a Special Salamence and dropped Whimsicott, I could throw on a hazard maker instead I suppose, but I'm not really too sure what I'd use. I'd like it to be physical, to make up for the lack of physical-ness in Salamence. Ideas?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Entry hazards are useless in doubles. The matches are too fast-paced. Also, Defiant raises your attack by 2 stages when your stats are lowered. This gives Bisharp an Attack boost when someone sends out a Pokemon with Intimidate. I believe you're thinking of Justified. Safeguard + Swagger takes two turns of setup, which leaves you wide open to offensive pressure.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Protect and Detect are staples in doubles formats, since one Pokemon can Protect while its partner attacks.

Whimsicott should focus on abusing Prankster to the fullest:
    -Encore
    -Taunt/Helping Hand
    -Tailwind
    -Protect
    EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

Salamence's special moves are more suited for double battles than its physical ones:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Heat Wave/Fire Blast
    -Hidden Power (Flying)/Tailwind
    -Protect/Tailwind
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Yache Berry/Dragon Gem

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw/Tailwind
    -Protect/Tailwind
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 72 Atk/184 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Yache Berry

It's better to use 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef on Bisharp; moving the other 252 EVs into Defense gives it inefficient bulk. Defiant is also superior to Inner Focus, just like in singles; it's useful against Intimidate spammers:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head/Low Kick
    -Low Kick/Night Slash
    -Protect
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
    Item: Dark Gem/Steel Gem
    Ability: Defiant

Doubles are too fast-paced to use RestTalk in. Milotic could get KOed before it even gets to execute the strategy. Wash Rotom is a better bet, thanks to Levitate allowing it to avoid Earthquakes, whether they're coming from you or your opponent:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave
    -Protect
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 SDef
    Item: Sitrus Berry

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunder/Trick
    -Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)/Trick
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 240 HP/252 SAtk/16 SDef
    Item: Choice Specs

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump
    -Volt Switch/Trick
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)/Trick

Arcanine shouldn't be using a fully defensive set in doubles, as its common weaknesses to Earthquake, Rock Slide and Surf render that moot. It's better off utilizing Intimidate to soften the blows the team takes (possibly alongside Salamence):
    -Flare Blitz
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Wild Charge/Close Combat
    -Protect
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Fire Gem/Electric Gem/Fighting Gem

Otherwise, use Volcarona who also has more offensive presence and Speed than Arcanine does:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Heat Wave
    -Bug Buzz
    -Protect

or
    -Heat Wave/Overheat
    -Bug Buzz
    -Rage Powder/Tailwind
    -Protect
    Item: Life Orb/Fire Gem/Bug Gem

Samurott sucks in VGC formats, IMO. It's just too average at what it does in there. I think you could use another potent attacker, like Metagross instead:
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/Earthquake
    -Protect
    Item: Occa Berry/Steel Gem

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2016
    Right, I was thinking of Justified. Thanks for the correction.
    Maybe I should just scratch Whimsicott altogether (isn't it from like RU or something like that? I'm trying to make this team able to stand up against an OU team, which is obviously going to be much better). What if I ran an Incarnate Thundurus instead? Here's the one set I was thinking of...
    Thundurus-I
    Nature: Adamant or Jolly, depends if I want to out-speed with attacks or not
    Item: Sitrus Berry/Life Orb
    Moves:
    Bulk Up
    U-Turn
    Thunder Wave
    Wild Charge
    EVs: 252 Atk/192 Def or Sp. Def/64 Spe

Bulk Up and Thunder Wave will get priority with Prankster, correct? If so, then basically paralyze my opponent(s) within the first turn or so, then just go for the Bulk Ups. I could use Life Orb to do massive damage with Wild Charge and U-Turn, or I could go for Sitrus Berry to recover the damage I'd take from Wild Charge (it's got recoil, right?). This set would also work just as well with Defiant, I suppose. It would lose the priority for Thunder Wave and Bulk Up, but if my opponents are paralyzed, their speed is cut. This is a more physically offensive set, but I could also do a more specially offensive set, or perhaps a defensive set as well. Here's something for a special set...
    Thundurus-I
    Nature:
    Item: Dark Gem
    Moves:
    Dark Pulse
    Thunderbolt/Discharge
    Charge/Nasty Plot
    Hidden Power Ice
    EVs: 252 SpA/192 Spe/64 ???

Anyways, here's the special set I've got in mind. It's not the greatest, I suppose, but Charge/Nasty Plot gets priority because of Prankster (no sense in raising my Attack with Defiant). I'd probably go with Nasty Plot over Charge, just because it's a more permanent change to my stats, but Charge would have its advantages, I suppose (although, it might be asking to be blocked by a Protect).
    So, I could put that in for Whimsicott.
    If I lose Whimsicott, I'd definitely change Salamence to a Special Attacker (even more so if I went with a Physcal Thundurus). I don't know that I want Tailwind on my set, in case an unexpected Trick Room should pop up. How about something like this...
    -Draco Meteor
    -Heat Wave
    -Hidden Power Flying
    -Protect
    Item: Yache Berry/White Herb

In terms of Bisharp, I think I'll go with the set listed above.

I guess Milotic should go (*sniffle*). I like the looks of Rotom-W, though. I think I'll go with this one...
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power Ice

I also think I'll switch Arcanine for Volcarona. I'm missing a bit of defense on my team now, but I guess doubles aren't as much about defense as singles. How about this one...
    -Quiver Dance
    -Heat Wave
    -Bug Buzz
    -Protect

Also, Samurott was just kinda a last minute choice for the 6th spot. I've been looking around for something to replace it with, and I think Metagross should work. I'm a little worried about Earthquakes, but I guess I'll take my chances.
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -Zen Headbutt/Earthquake
    -Protect
    Item: Occa Berry/Steel Gem

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'll make the changes to the original post in my thread, try it out, and let you know how it works!

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Neither of Thundurus' sets that are mentioned work well. The physical set isn't recommended as you have a set-up move and a switch move, and I wouldn't even use Dark Pulse on the special set especially when you already have a dark-type that utilize these moves. Thundurus is also too frail to use set-up moves, so to summarize: Replace Dark Pulse and Charge/Nasty Plot with Thunderbolt and either Taunt/Substitute. Taunt is useful on any Pokemon who can set up Trick Room, and substitute, although risky, acts as an excellent shield if you manage to get a free one. Replace the Dark Gem with an Electric Gem.

As you have four special attackers, you may want to consider balancing out the team with three physical attackers, and Salamence is perfectly capable of running a physical set. There is actually nothing wrong with your current moveset, but here's what I'm thinking:

~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Tailwind
    Item: Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Trick is a great move on Choice Rotom-W, as Tricking a choice item on dedicated walls and set-up sweepers can immediately cripple them. Ideally I would replace Volt Switch with it.

Speaking of dedicated walls, Blissey is one wall that is not weak to anything other than Fighting-type moves. I'd recommend putting Hammer Arm on Metagross as that does more damage on Blissey than a Low Kick from Bisharp. The moveset I'm thinking of for Metagross is:

~ Meteor Mash
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Zen Headbutt
    ~ Hammer Arm

I hope I haven't confused you too much here. Good luck in the battle world

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2016
    Nope, I'm not confused :)
    Taunt on Thundurus would probably be a good idea. Trick Room is a bit of a problem for my team right now. Metagross and Bisharp are the only two Pokemon I have that can really function at all in TR, and they're both weak to Earthquake (does Rhyperior usually have E-Quake?). Anyways, just a thought. So, yeah, Taunt would be useful. I'll replace Charge/NP with Thunderbolt as well. The EV spread was ok, though?
    I would kinda like to keep a physical Salamence, if only because of his base Attack stat being higher than his Sp. Attack. I'm kinda liking this moveset you've put up here, but I'm not too sure about Tailwind. Yes, it can be very useful, but, again, makes me weak to an unexpected TR. I'd probably pair Salamence with Thundurus, because of E-Quake, and then I could get a Taunt off, but still, it's something to watch out for.
    Trick would be quite helpful on Rotom-W, but I'm not sure I would want to get rid of Volt Switch for it. In the little bit of competitive battling I have done, I've fought a lot of Rotom-Ws, and every time they used Volt Switch, it messed me up in some small way that may have ended up costing me the game. That being said, Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump have to stay, and HP Ice is rather helpful, especially considering I only have one other Ice-type move on my team so far (HP Ice on Thundurus), and it's not a particularly powerful one.
    Metagross looks good that way, but now how many Protects do I have left on my team? Protect/Detect is among the most useful of moves in doubles, but I suppose I do already have it on Arcanine, Volcarona and Bisharp.
    So, I'll try this out, I suppose, and see how it works!

Back