• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Gen IV and V hated around here?

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
  • Gen 4 is my favorite generation and it's where I thought the franchise as a whole was at it's best and finest, as well as introducing a few of my favorites such as Floatzel and Lucario. One thing that made Gen 4 so good was that there was a ton of features, the battle system was fleshed out more with the physical/special split, and the region was creative and varied. Almost every town had something to offer, be it the GTS in Jubilife, the Day Care in Solaceon, or the Great Marsh in Pastoria, there was always something that made places worth visiting, not to mention that you went all over the region rather than following a straight, narrow path, and when you went through an area the second time, there was more to access now that you had Surf or another HM that allowed you to see more, and there was a lot to do even after the league.

Gen 4 was balanced, it had a lot of content, and everything worked out well for the franchise. Asides from a few complaints, it's known for being the generation that lasted the longest (being first announced in 2004 with Munchlax, coming out in Japan in September 2006, and ending in March 2011 with the US release of BW1), and there's a good reason why Gen 4 lasted for so long, because it was the generation that offered the most content out of all generations, from the new adventure in Sinnoh in DPPt to the return to Johto and Kanto in HG/SS, there was always something Gen 4 had to offer.

Gen 5 I don't like nearly as much as Gen 4, probably because it took out a lot of the features that made Gen 3 and 4 so good. Asides from introducing a number of my favorite Pokemon like Mienshao and Excadrill, it felt like the entire franchise was simplified, watered down, and heavily altered to an extent. The story was shorter (but really good in BW1, not as great in BW2), and the region was extremely linear, basically the complete opposite of Sinnoh. Not to mention how in BW1 you had virtually NO older Pokemon to work with prior to the post-game, which turned off many long-time players and drove them away from the franchise, possibly permanently. This was further justified in the fact that Nintendo seemed to deny the existence of the previous generations by showing and marketing ONLY the new Pokemon (the first World Championship of Gen 5 in 2011 wouldn't allow any non-Gen 5 Pokemon), and this I feel dealt a lot of damage to the franchise.

Among other things, I feel like in Gen 5 the franchise as a whole took several steps down (and became far less popular as a result) because they changed so much with the franchise that it turned many long-time fans away from the franchise. BW2 tried to fix a number of the problems BW1 had, such as bringing back older Pokemon, making the region (slightly) less linear, adding an achievement system, and the PWT, among other things. But by then it was already too late...

Between Gen 4 and 5, Gen 5 is more hated than Gen 4 because of all the changes they made to the franchise. Fortunately things have gotten better with Gen 6 with more of a return to the franchises roots, some old features returning, and a few new features such as Pokemon Amie, Super-Training, a simplified and easily accessible multiplayer system, customization with the player characters, the Fairy type, and more. Asides from a severe lack of new Pokemon (only 71 new Pokemon), a very small post-game, and a few other things I feel should have been done better like Mega Evolutions (I feel they could have done a lot better with the Megas), but the franchise still has ways to go before it can recover from the changes made in Gen 5.

Years
  • Diamond and Pearl had its issues. Long save time, slow surfing, lack of fire types... I felt that they could've been better games but didn't really represent the new generations well. Fortunately Platinum fixed a lot of the problems.

Black and White were advertised to be "resets;" It was meant to be a completely new Pokemon experience with feelings vastly different from previous generations which included a more linear region in Unova. It was a fresh idea at the time to introduce new Pokemon without involving the old, but in practice it fell flat. This was fixed in BW2 where more Pokemon outside Unova was added to the dex, but some people still don't like the new "feeling" that Unova gives.

At least that's my "justification" in behalf of the people that dislike Gen IV and/or V, but everybody has their opinions, obviously.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • D/P were like a test to me. They were good, but not really "Pokemon-like". Dialga and Palkia needed some work, as much as I like space and time, they were rather...ehh. That's where Platinum came in.
    A refurbished story, a new legendary with a new method of switching between forms, Looker (amigash looker), Team Galactic's new plans, and....the BATTLE FRONTIER. No longer is it only the Battle Tower, but returning facilities from Emerald, with some new ones to replace those that didn't make it. Platinum was when the Pokemon series started to come back alive.

B/W definitely had a deeper story than past Pokemon games, the struggle between ideals and truth represented through Zekrom and Reshiram respectively. I like N, he's a well structured character who goes through some stunning character growth. Ghetsis is a different kind of evil team leader, first seeming like a good natured person, trying to free Pokemon from hardship.

B/W2 expands on this story even more, Plasma being defeated, and with a reworking of the story, akin to Platinum. Ghetsis is back, and a bit crazier than before, with plans of conquering Unova once again...this time with the help of Kyurem. I like the story change, as he tries to freeze the region instead of, well, the classic steal all pogeymans.

Now, Gen IV brought us Wi-fi battling, which is basically a key point of Pokemon. To stay connected with friends, to trade, etc etc. B/W brought us a good depth story that's almost like it came out of an anime (yes I do know Pokemon anime exists.), and B/W2 having the Pokestar studios, even more characters (COLRESS :D, and Alder's grandson) and the PWT.

I don't see why there should be hate.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I don't understand the hate. I should note before going any further though that I only played Platinum and the Jhoto remakes in Gen 4. I played both Gen 5.

I thought the Gen 4 storyline was one of the best. I liked it far more than Gen 3. I would rank Shinnoh 3rd overall in my favorites list, only after Kanto and Kalos.

Gen 5 was terrible though. It was boring, hard to play because it just didn't keep my attention. Sadly this was the first Gen I played when I came back to Pokémon. I was so disappointed with the Pokémon franchise. I was disappointed I had bought a 3DS and three other games with my 3DS and Black 2.

Luckily I had bought Platinum and Soul Silver as well. That brought me back. Then XY were announced a couple months later. The only Gen I found worse than Gen 5 was Gen 3 which made me quit in the first place.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't hate any generation (and I'd wager the silent majority don't outright hate any gens either) but the 4th gen would be my least favourite overall. I've learned to love some of the pokemon introduced over time, but most of them got a lukewarm initial reaction from me.

Something about Sinnoh bores me and I don't enjoy travelling through it as much as the other five regions. Even so I definitely don't hate or even mildly dislike 4th gen. I like it but not as much as the other five.

On the other hand I LOVE 5th gen, so many brilliant pokemon introduced.

Last edited:
    Back