• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Team for OR/AS for Battle Spot Doubles?

BlazeTC729

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    Hey, guys. I was wondering if you could help me build a team for Competive battling online, but in Doubles. Before you help, I was thinking this would be a good team...

Scizor
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves:
    X-Scissor (STAB)
    Bullet Punch (STAB, Priority)
    Night Slash (Coverage against Ghost)
    Protect (In case it'll get torched by Fire)

Scizor is my favorite Pokemon and has one of the highest base attack stat of all Bug Pokemon. I always had fun using his Technician, Life Orb, and Bullet Punch Combo, which could make it useful for me to get rid of threats such as Sylveon, etc.

Whimsicott
    Item: Wide Lens (to give him accuracy for Stun Spore)
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 Speed, 63 Defense, 63 Special Defense, 126 Sp. Attack, 4 HP
    Moves:
    Moonblast (STAB)
    Tailwind (Status Priority, boosts Speed for my team)
    Light Screen (Status Priorty, boosts Special Defense for my team)
    Stun Spore (Status Priority, paralyzes an opponent)

Whimiscott has the highest speed of any Fairy Type Pokemon, and it is also the fastest Pokemon to have Prankster as it's ability. With Light Screen, it can make my next Pokemon, Empoleon almost unstoppable.

Empoleon
    Item: Assault Vest (to boost Special Defense)
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 HP, 4 Speed
    Moves:
    Scald (STAB)
    Flash Cannon (STAB, good against Fairies)
    Ice Beam (Coverage against threats like Garchomp)
    Grass Knot (Coverage against heavy water types and even Swampert)

Here's your answer, If I use Empoleon and used Light Screen from my Prankster Whimiscott, Empoleon can a lot tougher to beat when using Special Attacks since I've given it 252 Effort Values to his HP, and yet he'll still deal a lot of damage with his Modest nature boosting his Special Attack and giving him 252 EV's for that stat.

Garchomp
    Item: Dragon Fang
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves:
    Dragon Claw (STAB)
    Earthquake (STAB)
    Rock Slide (Covers against Ice Types, useful against Talonflames and Charizard Y's)
    Swords Dance (Boosts it Attack stat by 3)

I feel that this Garchomp set can be OP as long as I keep it away from Ice Type attacks and use Swords Dance before it can get hit by them. The only threat I see stopping Garchomp is Greninja and Fairy Types, but hey, that's what my Whimiscott's Prankster Tailwind or Stun Spore is for. But, despite it's scary weakness against Ice and the cute and powerful Fairy type, it's still kind of OP.

Gengar
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves:
    Shadow Ball (STAB, great coverage against Psychic types)
    Sludge Bomb (STAB)
    Thunderbolt
    Destiny Bond

Gengar is a great special sweeper. And If I have more than 1 Pokemon left and my opponent has 1 more left, I can use Destiny Bond before he can attack Gengar and after he finishes off Gengar, it'll take the opposing Pokemon's life at the same time.

Mega Gallade
    Item: Galladite
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves:
    Psycho Cut (STAB)
    Close Combat (STAB)
    Leaf Blade (Known for eliminating Swamperts and most frail Water Types)
    Swords Dance (Boosts it's crazy Attack stat by 3)

Gallade is one of my other favorite Pokemons and since he has his own Mega, I thought he could be useful. Inner Focus can prevent him from flinching caused by the evil Mega Kangaskhans. (Of course, the evil part was sarcasm.) Psycho Cut helps me deal with Poison and other fighting types. Close Combat is well, Close Combat, beats Normal, Rock, Ice, Steel, and even Dark types. Leaf Blade, on the other hand, is one of Gallade's powerful non-STAB moves, it usually one hit KO's Swamperts even without Swords Dance.

So, Do you think this can be my team by the way I explained it to you? If so, you can rate it by up to 5. If not, you can help me find some room for improvement or replace some Pokemon. I like all of the Pokemon and I can accept a majority, but I don't want any Legendaries. Thank you!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Normally Scizor is better off with the Scizorite, but since your Mega slot is already taken up, Lum Berry is the better item to let Scizor shrug off a status; the recoil from Life Orb doesn't work well with Scizor's low Speed. Also, Bug Bite > X-Scissor, as the former is stronger than the latter after the Technician boost:
    -Swords Dance
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Protect
    EVs: 164 HP/252 Atk/92 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry
    Ability: Technician

Tailwind already provides enough Speed control for the team, so Stun Spore isn't entirely necessary. EVs work best in increments of 4; if it's anything other than that, it won't work:
    -Tailwind
    -Encore/Taunt
    -Giga Drain/Moonblast/Helping Hand
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash/Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Prankster

I don't see what Empoleon has over other Water and Steel Pokemon, given that it's weak to both Discharge and Earthquake. Milotic or Bisharp are better options because of their ability to screw over Intimidate users with Competitive and Defiant, respectively. However, I'd go with Milotic because physical attackers get screwed over by Will-o-Wisp more:

Milotic:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Safeguard/Recover
    -Protect
    EVs: 88 HP/252 SAtk/168 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Competitive

Bisharp:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Protect
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Dread Plate/Black Glasses
    Ability: Defiant

For fast sweepers, Timid, Jolly, Hasty and Naive (Speed-boosting natures) are preferred over their offensive stat-boosting counterparts because the Pokemon would like to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible. In this case, Garchomp should be Jolly.

I'd use Aegislash over Gengar. Sure, it needs some prediction to get right, but it has Wide Guard support to help the team with spread moves:
    -Flash Cannon
    -Shadow Ball
    -Wide Guard
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk
    Item: Lum Berry/Sitrus Berry/Weakness Policy

What I said about Garchomp especially applies to Gallade because 110 Speed is very good and you're wasting that away. Sure, you could use Leaf Blade for other Water Pokemon, but Close Combat deals with them already, and outside of hitting Mega Swampert, it's useless. Swords Dance boosts the user's Attack by +2. Very few Pokemon get away with setup moves in doubles because of the fast pace there. Protect is a necessity in doubles formats because it lets you do things like scout attacks, punishing double-targeting or letting a partner finish off a counter. It's especially important for Mega Pokemon to let them Mega Evolve safely, especially for things like Gallade, because its base form's Speed, 80, isn't exactly impressive:
    -Close Combat
    -Knock Off
    -Zen Headbutt/Substitute
    -Protect
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Galladite

Back