• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Changing the Professor Oak Intro Background

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    Just as the title says, I can't figure out how to change the Professor Oak lecture background in Firered. I've tried inserting both the tileset and tilemap several times but to no avail. This is usually the end product:

Changing the Professor Oak Intro Background

I know that the tileset and the tilemap that I'm using are fine as well. This is an image of TMC after inserting both of them.

As you can see, it's showing up perfectly fine. The offsets I'm using are 460CA4 for the tileset and 460CE8 for the tilemap. At this point, I'm 99% sure those are the correct offsets, too. However, I decided to test them out just in case they weren't the right ones...

I used VBA-m to find the Oak background offsets in Pokemon Life, exported them, and then inserted / repointed them into a clean rom using the EXACT SAME offsets that I've been trying to use in my hack. It turned out perfectly, excluding the palette of course.

What's the deal? I've looked for tutorials and troubleshooted for the last couple days, but I just can't figure this out. I know somebody out there knows the secret, so please help me if you can haha.

Thanks.

Phantom Phoenix

Lost on the road of life
    Years
    • Age 27
    • ???
    • Seen Jul 1, 2020
    hmm....that's the only image in oaks intro you can't insert normally. You will need asm for that
    before you can insert background.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    hmm....that's the only image in oaks intro you can't insert normally. You will need asm for that
    before you can insert background.

If that's the case, why was I able to insert the tileset and tilemap from Pokemon Life without any issues? Thanks for the response.

Back