• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you were in charge of the Pokémon anime

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It's also mentioned in literally every series that Pikachu does not want to evolve and that he's fine the way he is. If you don't like it fine but that's part of Pikachu's character and part of Ash's and Pikachu's partnership to always respect it.

( and jesus whenever people bring up the "issue" with Ash not aging I literally just think about Detective Conan which honestly is way worst in the fact that people are barely aging in that series lmao.

Probably because unlike Detective Conan, there actually WERE hints at Ash aging, such as the reference to Fearow remembering the events of Episode 1 at least a year afterward (What's that? The Onisuzume who appeared in the first episode and gave Satoshi and Pikachu such a hard time has evolved into an Onidrill and is attacking them!? '''They say that you normally tend to forget things after one year.'''), as well as the Events of Pikachu and Pichu, and, heck, the overall nature of Ash's goal (that practically REQUIRES aging).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    There are several holidays and birthdays in Detective Conan so by that knowledge alone that argument is invalid. And the year thing I believe was just an english line and a line that could easily be retconned. After all they were experimenting during the first series of Pokemon. Some things stayed while they retconned and adjusted a few other things (which is why we see Ash get interested in one girl in the Kanto region and then became a dunce when it came to things like that after). Just saying. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    There are several holidays and birthdays in Detective Conan so by that knowledge alone that argument is invalid. And the year thing I believe was just an english line and a line that could easily be retconned. Just saying. :)

I think you misunderstand. That wasn't the Viridian Gym episode I was referring to (In fact, I didn't even mention Viridian Gym precisely BECAUSE that was dub-added), these were the commentary notes for Pallet Party Panic that I quoted. Specifically, that line came from Hideki Sonada (yes, the same guy who did the Pokémon movies from Movie 4 up to Movie 17). You can find that here: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/memorial_book_orange_islands_screenwriters_comments.html And obviously, that wouldn't have been a dub addition.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I see. But my logic still applies. If that commentary was made back anytime between the beginning and Orange Islands/Johto then it could have easily been retconned as the original series was the "experimental" part, as many shows do.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I see. But my logic still applies. If that commentary was made back anytime between the beginning and Orange Islands/Johto then it could have easily been retconned as the original series was the "experimental" part, as many shows do.

Maybe, but Pikachu and Pichu was in Johto (not to mention Best Wishes had the Magnet Train being operable, when the last we heard of it, it wasn't even due for use until the following Tuesday of the year AFTER Johto's events, and that definitely isn't a birthday/Christmas example, nor is it even an experimental example). And besides, like I said, the nature of Ash's goal is akin to Rocky, and even THAT allowed for aging. For the record, so did Dragon Ball and, heck, even Dead or Alive (which DID have the characters aging by two years by DOA5).

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Clearly you're just going to disagree with everything I say with logic that doesn't tell me why it should matter (the bullet train being operable? may I turn you back to Detective Conan where they've gone from fat cell phones to smartphones and it hasn't been a "year"? Also I mentioned Johto as being part of the experimental era.) A Pokemon Master is a long term goal. We don't need to see him age it's not like it's time sensitive or anything. We'll likely see him older being a Pokemon Master at the end of the series whenever that'll be and that's enough for me. You do you and I'll do me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Clearly you're just going to disagree with everything I say with logic that doesn't tell me why it should matter (the bullet train being operable? may I turn you back to Detective Conan where they've gone from fat cell phones to smartphones and it hasn't been a "year"? Also I mentioned Johto as being part of the experimental era.) A Pokemon Master is a long term goal. We don't need to see him age it's not like it's time sensitive or anything. We'll likely see him older being a Pokemon Master at the end of the series whenever that'll be and that's enough for me. You do you and I'll do me.

Yeah, actually, we do need to see him age. Sure, maybe it's not quite time sensitive, but on the other hand, Rocky wasn't exactly time sensitive, either, and featured a long-term goal of becoming an all-time boxing champion, yet even THAT has Rocky aging and time passing. And besides, I'm pretty sure Johto isn't "experimental". Kanto I could buy being experimental, but not Orange Islands or Johto. The first season is generally when things are experimental, and even if we go by series, Orange Islands and Johto are still the second and third seasons in Japan, respectively. And I'm doubtful Detective Conan has a long-term goal anyways.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I don't even see why Pokemon has to be like "the other anime" out there, honestly. If that's the basis for your logic then I'm going to kindly ask you to simply respect my decision because repeatedly telling me that Pokemon should do it because other animes did isn't going to do either of us any good other than going in some pointless circle. I know I'm in the minority and this is one reasoning that is not going to convince me otherwise. And to be fair Pokemon it casually retconning things all the time so them doing so about time is just one of them.

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
    Years
  • I really feel like he had aged in Kalos, but I don't think there was any clarification. BUT we do know that in SM he is at least 11, as that is the age minimum for the Island Challenge.
    And I thought she was still going for her goal of being a Water type master. She got over her fear of Gyarados and even has a Key Stone and Mega stone for it. Being the Water Type gym leader allows her to continue training and developing counter strategies to type effectiveness which is essential to mono-type trainers.
    Pikachu on the shoulder is how it always has been, and always will. A Raichu, while it would be stronger, wouldn't really sit right with many viewers.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I really feel like he had aged in Kalos, but I don't think there was any clarification. BUT we do know that in SM he is at least 11, as that is the age minimum for the Island Challenge.
    And I thought she was still going for her goal of being a Water type master. She got over her fear of Gyarados and even has a Key Stone and Mega stone for it. Being the Water Type gym leader allows her to continue training and developing counter strategies to type effectiveness which is essential to mono-type trainers.
    Pikachu on the shoulder is how it always has been, and always will. A Raichu, while it would be stronger, wouldn't really sit right with many viewers.

Might be the age minimum for the games, though we don't know if that applies to the anime (since, technically, the age minimum for being a trainer is 14 if we go by the games, including RGBY).

As far as a Water Type Master, yes, she never renounced the goal, so she technically is still pursuing that goal, but on the other hand, it is heavily implied from stuff like Whirl Cup-esque competitions as well as her fangirlism to Prima/Lorelei that she needs to reach Elite 4 level bare minimum before she can even come close to reaching her goal. And besides, it's repeatedly emphasized that you need to actually travel in order to reach master level whether mono-type or otherwise, something the gym simply cannot offer. Even Flint, aka, Brock's Dad, made it very clear that Brock staying at the gym ultimately was hampering his potential as a trainer, and that was BEFORE he joined Ash. A more thorough explanation can be found here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336960 Not to mention, even in the episode where Misty and Brock did gym leading duties as part of a teaching moment for the class, Brock, someone who was explicitly someone who no longer held the title, did an overall far better job at battling than Misty did. And while it is true that she got over her fear of Gyarados at the gym, and that she has a Mega Stone for it (not sure about a key stone), she would have also gotten them if she actually travelled. And I'll be honest, I'm fairly cynical about the Pokémon Gym thing being equivalent to a Master thanks largely to how much the Gym Leaders were depicted as jokes from AG up to BW. And if I must be honest, Misty even being able to go toe-to-toe with Ash, and actually beating some trainers, even if Brock ultimately did far better than her, was one of the few good parts of SM, effectively redeeming gym leaders far more than even XY did. And I forgot to mention, she didn't even WANT to resume gym duties in GCYL, and heck, literally had no say in the decision (her sisters pretty much forced her to return), and it's heavily implied the only reason she's putting up with it is because her sisters were incompetent. Of course, that might now change soon.

I definitely agree, as I did with Ash, though, that Pikachu's never going to evolve. They had an opportunity to evolve Pikachu again in DP, and he still rejected it.

I don't even see why Pokemon has to be like "the other anime" out there, honestly. If that's the basis for your logic then I'm going to kindly ask you to simply respect my decision because repeatedly telling me that Pokemon should do it because other animes did isn't going to do either of us any good other than going in some pointless circle. I know I'm in the minority and this is one reasoning that is not going to convince me otherwise. And to be fair Pokemon it casually retconning things all the time so them doing so about time is just one of them.

Well, it's certainly more like the other anime out there in the sense that it casually retcons things all the time, I'll give you that much, and not in a good way. Dragon Ball also has that exact problem, as well.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • https://pa1.narvii.com/6076/a9439547af3b119475bdd113373b3566b82f4373_hq.gif

Me : ARE YOU QUESTING MY ORDERS PIKARAT?!
    Pikachu : Pikachu (Yeah what are you gonna do about it?)
    Me : Jackie go
    Pikachu : Pi? (Jackie?)
    My Entei : Entei (Prepare to die loser)
    Pikachu : Chaaaaaaaaaa (I'm so scared)

Oh we were talking about the ACTUAL show changes, wait what did the OP meant by "better voice actors"?

if you don't like it fine but that's part of Pikachu's character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyr8AWSw0d4

I geuss if he wants to be an annoying Pikachu forever rather than an epic Raichu then fine

Pipi & Misia : Raichu (Wait i thought you still hate us even when we're evolved to Raichus)
    Me : :3

Last edited:

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • Ash Aging of course , constant return of other characters (villains, rivals,companions) and 25+ episode Pokémon league arcs. There are more than 800+ Pokémon now no need for 5 episodes long where rounds are shown basically in short montages to skip to the rival battle. I miss random trainers that we never seen before or after give ash trouble for a round like the belsprout lady from original series.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • And most importently (sp) have stop Ash release his fully evolved team!!

Butterfree (both versions) released
    Primeape released
    Pidgeot released (althought 4kids softens the blow in their dub by making Ash say he will "come back for it", lies http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/orange/ep081.html )
    Goodra released
    Greninja released

Now i know why his Pikachu is still a Pikachu, if it evolved to a Raichu the poor guy would be released

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Ash will never be the best he can can, because the Pokemon Ash "Catches" simply wants to be his friend, not so much battle. They only battle because it pleases Ash. He needs to capture POKEMON who share his mind-set, being the strongest they can be.

I would make a 12 Pokemon member device. The trainer could carry 12 Pokemon, but only use 6 in trainer battles. The rest could be HM Pokemon, or false swipe/sleepers to catch wild ones.

Reason being, Ash showing to the POKEMON leagues with 1st form evolution is silly lol. This way, they can have the personalities such as Squirtle or Snivy, while catching stronger POKEMON for battling.

The thing I liked about Digimon? You can count of the Digi-Destined to have the strongest form of their respective Digimon. Ash? Not so much, not by a long shot....

Back