• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favorite game dev tool?

What is your favorite game dev tool?

• Total voters

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
I used to use RM2k and then RM2k/3, but now I use RMXP. I also have a bit of experience with GameMaker since it was the very first game making engine I used.

~Jeff

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
I just LOVE RMXP!!! Yeah, Game Maker was the first Game Engine I got, then, rM2k, then RM2k3, then I got Sphere to try it out and finally I got RMXP and I loved it!

Blizzy

me = Scripter.new("Noob")
Years
i choised for RMXP, just because it has an in-built scripting section
so you can modify the game easy (except if you don't know Ruby/Rgss :dead: )
instead of doing everything with events.

it really saves a lot of events, and lag.
i also choised for rmxp because you don't have to convert everything to 256colors (too bad everything needs to be double sized :( )

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
Exactly, but so far, that's the only negative thing in RMXP along with the lack of some commands, but, you can make commands identical to the ones lacking with Ruby Scripting.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
I like RMXP because of the scripting advantage, easy-to-make RPG game system and built in coding choices.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Adventure game studio,
Modkeen
Rpg Maker 2000

There's an XP version of RPG Maker?

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
My favorite series is the RPG Maker but I've never used RMXP so I'm going to say RM2K3. I don't like the map editor on Game Maker which is a shame because I'd love to make a platform game with it. I haven't used Sphere enough to comment on it but going by Booda's game I'd have to say it has some awesome capabilities. I've also been impressed by some RMXP games on here too, maybe I'm a little outdated now XD.

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Well, my favourite so far is RMXP. I'm getting more used to scripting now. Plus, as Peekimon mentioned, you don't have the 256 colour limit.

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
Yup and more color means great graphics!
And, as -virtual- said, the scripting capability allows almost complete editting of the game. And the layers make your map editting less pain as you can put certain objects on certain layers to give it a blending feeling.

Plus, it allows a pokemon game to be made almost identical to the original as the scripting capability allows you to create menus, battle systems, running, bicycle systems identical to the pokemon ones.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
RM2K3 allows you to make Pokemon games almost identical to the real ones, we wouldn't be trying to do it otherwise.
I think it would be hard to place either Sphere or RMXP above the other because they bother offer so much freedom, and that's all you can ask for as game developer. I'm downloading RMXP now so I can have a poke around and get myself used to everything, then I can make a more accurate comment.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
Then good luck Pheonix! :) (Only thing is, I miss some coding events taken out of RMXP....like memorize location.)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
RM2k3 is mine by far... I've tried pretty much all them on the list, and i felt that the RPG maker series was the easiest to get into. And after awhile, i'm became a pretty good programmer for the tool, and i think only people who don't understand the power of RM2k3 say its worse then XP- cause in my opinion its better then XP.

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
But Jeff, with coding, you can get the Memorize Location, but, yes, I missed alot of things in RM2K3, and yeah RM2K3 is good, but, the best thing I like about RMXP is th unlimited Tileset!! I'm using 1 for the exterior buildings and it's very convenient. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
my favorite is rmxp its got really good tilesets as peekimon said

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
Has anybody actually tried Verge? I've never seen a game, at least, on this board made in Verge so I'm just wondering if anybody has given it a go.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Rpg Maker 2003, just because the resources from RPG Maker 200 can be used with it. XP is nice due to the scripting and the fact that you can create anything that's missing, but you have to either re-find everything (good luck), or use a resource converter (I can't remember what it's called.). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with tile sets. It's also a bit difficult finding XP resources.

Back