• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What starter type(s) are the best?

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2008
    I actually don't care- I just choose the cutest one...
    But, for pokemon without weaknesses, why not make the starters Spiritomb, Sableye, and a fakemon that's Ghost/Dark? That's for hack and I do want credit.

~YX

No, no! These are not type from a pokémon with two types: For example: The trio Psychic-Dark/Ghost-Fight means that you can choose or a Dark, or a Ghost type pokémon. In Electric/Grass/Bug-Ground-Flying, you can choose or an Electric, or a Grass, or a Bug type pokémon

Water-Grass-Fire (the classic)

Psychic-Dark/Ghost-Fight

Rock-Fight/Grass-Flying

Electric/Grass/Bug-Ground-Flying

Rock-Fire-Steel

Grass-Poison-Ground

Ice-Flying-Fight

Water-Electric-Ground

Razor Ramon

Undefeated in D/P
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    well another idea that would be pretty BA is Treeko<Charmander<Totodile cause they all look like lizards/dinosaur and it would be kinda cool

Innocence

PC Lurker: I'm watching you...
    Years
  • In my hack, I've got the classic Grass-Water-Fire triangle dual-type with Dark and the rival starts with a Tyrogue.

What, Carvanha/Sharpedo, Cacnea/Cacturne, Houndour/Houndoom?
    I'm awesome at guessing :P

Anyways, with my hack, I bypass the triangle thing. You get Houndour, rival gets Poliwag. Awesome no? As the game progresses and you go towards 3rd evo, BANG! Rival has two chances of kicking your butt...He magically gets a water stone or something...

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2010
    I really like Psychic/Fighting/Dark. Too bad there are NO 3 stage primary dark types. Otherwise Ralts/Machop/??? would work admirably. I don't get the hangup over it being a mismatch of special and physical types either: starters have always had a mismatch of stat specialization (special or physical) to begin with anyways, which is what matters more IMO. As long as all three are built as sweepers in their respective types, it'd work out.

On the other hand, I like the two starter or one starter ideas too. One of the reasons I like Prism is that he just cuts the bullshit and gets you a Larvitar. A two type, neutral vs eachother starter set is great too. For some reason, Steel and Ghost seems like a good one to me. For that matter, why not Steel or Rock vs Psychic or Ghost?

Something like Larvitar (Rock, Rock, then Rock/Dark) and then a (Grass, Grass, Grass/Psychic) would be awesome too. Total turnabout -- one starter pwns the other the first two evolutions, then one of the finals is super effective and immune.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    How about three dragons? Equal advantages for everyone...
    Or you could stick to the triangle thing...

mechu95

Hack Guy
    Years
  • I just think about the concept of my hack and choose my starters that way, or simply go for Grass/Fire/Water.

Nalesnik

My mom thinks I'm cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2008
    I leaned towards the orignal water, fire, grass
    but the fighting, psy, dark combo defiently peaked my interest

and an eevee by itself would also make a nice starter in my book cause of the multi-evos.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Electric, Ground, Water!
    Elc>Wtr>Grd>Elc

sorry but i think this won't work

Ground not effective to Water
    Water not effective to Electric
    Electric doesn't effect to Ground

If you use Electric type as a Starter, you wouldn't have a chance to defeat a Ground Type..!^^

yoni159

a ... nvm/np
    Years
  • sorry but i think this won't work

Ground not effective to Water
    Water not effective to Electric
    Electric doesn't effect to Ground

If you use Electric type as a Starter, you wouldn't have a chance to defeat a Ground Type..!^^

actually, ground has normal effect on water (and so water on thunder)

anyway the sets I used to think of are:

grass, water, fire(Basic)
    dark, fight, psychic(nice)
    ground, fire, grass(Fate might use it)

Last edited:

Kye McPie

#? Trainer wants to battle!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2009
    I like the traditional triangle mixed with or eventually adopting the less practical but nonetheless cool triangles (like Houndour, Exceggutor and Poliwag).

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Who says you need to have three starters? Redo the intro so you choose more or fewer, or don't even "choose one from x number of Pokemon at the professor's lab".

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
  • maybe, but Psychic attacks can't even hurt dark..soo maybe not so smart as starters..

but what about Grass, Rock and Fly ;b
    Grass > Rock
    Rock > Fly
    Fly > Grass

Too bad Fly'ing have very low effect on Rock type :/

are you a n00b??? psychic hurts fighting, fighting hurts dark, dark hurts psychic

see it does work

~DestinedCailean

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2013
    i actually prefer that every starter is thee same type, which really balances it out

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    The best starters are most type triangles, starters of all the same type, and ones when you only get one starter to choose from (Used only in Yellow).

dudez

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2011
    i like dark, fight, psychic as starters. Like seedot(well not dark type but evolves one and you can hack it to be dark/grass),machop and abra. Just hack it that nuzleaf can evolve to siftry without item and kadabra and machoke can evolve without trading. And of course that abra can attack instead of just teleporting. That is too bad that psychic attack cant hit to the dark but just make it faint with other pokemon

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    I like all the 3-type circle starters

but i like the originals better because some of the best water fire and grass types have awesome evolutions, like blaziken, when i first played sapphire and evolved my torchic, i was like, sweet a fire and fighting type

Back