• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red, Green, and Blue JP (name pending)

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2022
    So, I don't know if anyone else has already made something like this, though I'm not sure if someone made all three of these. Anyways, I present:
    Pokémon Red, Green, and Blue JP
    (name pending)​

In 1996, Pokémon Red, Green, and later that year, Blue, were released in Japan. All three of these releases had differences from Pokémon Red and Blue in Japan. This ROM hack essentially tries to create proper English releases of all 3 of those games. It's been a little project of mine over the past week or so. I wanted to make it at first just to have an English version of the Japanese Blue in my collection, and wanted to differentiate it from the Blue that was released outside of Japan, which is really just Green with a coat of paint.

FEATURES
    • Any glitch that is in Japanese Red, Green, and Blue that isn't in the International release is not present.
    • Original Overworld tileset has been restored (Only applies to Red and Green)
    • Sprites from the Japanese release has been restored (Only applies to Red and Green)
    • Title screen now matches the Japanese release (Only applies to Red and Green)
    • Wild data of all 3 games match their Japanese release (Only applies to Green and Blue - Red's wild data is the same as the International release)
    • Fixed glitch where a Haunter received within an in-game trade would not evolve (Only applies to Blue)
    • Edited Super Game Boy palette to Japanese original (Only applies to Green)
    • Original Cerulean Cave layout has been restored (Only applies to Red and Green)
    • Trade dialogue implying that Pokémon evolve, when they cannot evolve via trade in Gen 1, has been replaced with dialogue from Fire Red and Leaf Green (Only applies to Red and Green)

Screenshots
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    C0BEpK6.png
    xkQClhc.png
    DOoGMcg.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MRx8Bn4.png
    vkmTLKy.png
    x0Mum1Z.png

ipN6kxo.png
    siUPqTu.png
    NnSdmBC.png

To-do
    • Fix Missingo's graphics for each game
    • Add Translated Red and Green Pokédex entries
    • Fix flower animation speed (Only applies to Red and Green)

Download
    At least for now, Patches can be downloaded here.
    Redjp goes over Pokémon Red, Greenjp and Bluejp go over Pokémon Blue
    The GitHub repository can be found here: https://github.com/MoriyaFaith/pokejp

Credits and Special Thanks
    • The Pret team for providing the pokered disassembly.
    • Rangi42 for creating Tilemap Studio and Polished Map, allowing for editing of tilemaps and Cerulean Cave
    • GitHub user Alchav's fork of pokered, which allowed usage of the RG front sprites

Attachments

• patchesv1.zip
      384.5 KB · Views: 181
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2020
    Oh, this looks like a nice hack to translate the Red/Green/Blue that we got here in Japan to English! It's a shame some of these additions don't apply to all versions, like with the trade dialogue. I mean, why is it not for Blue Version? But it doesn't matter, still, this is a great project! As for the allow for use of the R/G sprites for Pokemon, can't you just copy the R/G sprites instead of the actual used R/B ones for Red/Green? I use the PRET pokered disassembly and I've made a few hacks myself (only private, though, for now) so I know you can do that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2024
    Oh, this looks like a nice hack to translate the Red/Green/Blue that we got here in Japan to English! It's a shame some of these additions don't apply to all versions, like with the trade dialogue. I mean, why is it not for Blue Version? But it doesn't matter, still, this is a great project! As for the allow for use of the R/G sprites for Pokemon, can't you just copy the R/G sprites instead of the actual used R/B ones for Red/Green? I use the PRET pokered disassembly and I've made a few hacks myself (only private, though, for now) so I know you can do that.

in blueJp, the "the pokemon you traded to me went and evolved" text is correct, and thus didn't need to be replaced

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2020
    I have a question-- does the old man text reference the source material (RGB JP)in where he is drunk and the hiker from Mt. Moon (RGB JP) where he says he's high on magic mushrooms, do those appear in this hack?

in blueJp, the "the pokemon you traded to me went and evolved" text is correct, and thus didn't need to be replaced

Ah okay I know.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2022
    It's currently just using the script from the Localizations. Currently, only the Pokémon Data and Sprites, as well as miscellaneous things such as the overworld sprites and Cerulean Cave's layout.

Yep. The current script used in the RG patches comes from FRLG. I want to also try porting somewhat altered pokedex entries from (I think) firered, which has translated RG dex entries as well.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2022
    Is this 3 hack games is compatible with Pokemon Stadium?!

Yeah, It should be. Nothing in the code changes enough to the point where it wouldn't. Not to mention I think I checked myself. You might want to double check that for yourself.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2022
    They should work with a US Blue ROM. Sorry if I hadn't specified that in the description.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    The red version is not exactly like the original red version as there is a lot of original features still missing.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2022
    The red version is not exactly like the original red version as there is a lot of original features still missing.

Could you explain? I'm not the most familiar with the original JP versions of the game. Are you talking about glitches such as the Dokashira Door glitch? I'm not exactly sure that is something I would WANT to replicate in a romhack, much less be something possible to do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2024
    you can add gym leader names from japanese version and fix some bugs like word presents not appearing after gamefreak logo appears as well as nidorino,s cry at introduction plus restore original flash like when using hyper beam and last thing what you can add is town map border what appeared only in japanese version

Last edited:
    Years
  • you have patched the wrong rom if it says it is corrupted make sure you have the exact rom listed on his github : https://github.com/MoriyaFaith/pokejp

Not exactly.

I've downloaded all 3 of the IPS files several times from Github using three different web browsers (Firefox, Chrome & MS Edge)
    and have come to the conclusion that the IPS files posted there are BAD and seem to have incorrect file sizes, compared
    to the IPS files contained in the attached patchesv1.zip file.

{for example, the pokebluejp.ips file contained in the attached patchesv1.zip file mentioned in the 1st post
    has a file size of 143,250 bytes while the pokebluejp.ips file posted in Github has a file size of 143,243 bytes.
    that to me is an obvious red flag that the IPS patch files are not good and only the IPS files packaged in the
    patchesv1.zip file on the first post of this thread are the clean working ones}

MoriyaFaith, please re-post or re-upload the IPS files either on your Github page or on another site and check very carefully
    the file sizes of those files.

Is giving that the patch file is corrupted

download & use any of the IPS files from the attached patchesv1.zip file from the first post instead of the ones posted on github as the IPS files from the patchesv1.zip file are the only ones that work

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    Thank you very much!, I always wanted to play red and green like in the Japanese version, it's a dream come true.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    First of all thank you very much, have been searching for It too long. I would like to make a question: As far as I know the red jap version contains different Pokemons in Game. Is this patch containing the original red Jap Pokemons or are they like the occidental version?

Thank you!

SirQuagsir3

Charmander was weak. Damian did nothing wrong.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2022
    Hi Moriyafaith,

Great work! I'm excited to follow this as it progresses. Do I understand this correctly, that the ips files you attached are supposed to be used for the Japanese ROMs, or are they for use with the US roms of the games?

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2022
    anyone have the ips that changes the title screen to the original pocket monsters with japanese text instead of pokemon

Days
    • Seen Dec 10, 2023
    Just to everyone who came into this forum knows:
    1. The files from Github doesn't work, only this one does.
    2. The Pokemon encounter is messed up, Pokemon Green and Japanese Blue have the same encounter rate as Pokemon Red-US in route 22. You may want to try another hack, by googling "Pokémon Red, Green, and Blue Versions - 100% English" The problem with this other hack is that they updated the learnset to match Pokemon Yellow, unfortunately.

Back