• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokemon gaming should go open-world?

Years
  • I remember back when there were rumours about a Switch Pokemon game (that later turned out to be LGPE) and discussion and speculation was rife with the possibility of said Pokemon game perhaps being open-world. After all, if Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey have shown anything, it's that the Switch is more than capable of providing that level of exploration.

But the thing is... is that really the best thing for the series? Do you really think Pokemon should go for a more open-world environment moving foward?

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Yeah, if done right. Open world tend to be somewhat more shallow, but with Pokemon I think it could work better than BotW, simply because Pokemon is much more simplistic than Zelda.

There is potential, instead of RNG wild encounters, you could see pokemon in their natural habitat, and the further you explore, the more rare and different pokemon you find depending on the geography.

And hey with an open world game, maybe following pokemon will return. And pokemon battles could take place in the overworld instead of a separate screen.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm still... conflicted on whether or not Pokemon really should be open-world. This would probably mean longer development times in-between Pokemon games (which, depending on your perspective, may be a good or a bad thing). There's also the concern that I'm not sure if Game Freak even has the resources to go as big as something like BotW-levels of open-world.

Maybe the closest Game Freak is going to get is something "free" in exploration yet has LGPE + SM level graphics, I guess.

Back