• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember Floppy Disks?

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    Found one recently while rummaging through old boiler room. It was an addition to a windows 3.11b manual. Good old thing, a lot better than mini cds. Mostly because of their durability.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • I remember floppy discs even if I never used them, I was born only in the late 90s but my parents had a computer at home and obviously had some. That computer was btw the first iMac, the one with the hockey puck mouse, and so the first OS I ever used was Mac OS 9 - which most people my age I've met don't even know what it is.
    VHS were a huge part of my childhood, when I was 3 or 4 there were these Disney tapes in English which were meant to introduce kids to English, and then I had the complete first season of the Pokémon anime in VHS which I used to see a lot those days. And to this day my parents have a lot of old musical VHS (mostly live recordings) and even a few Betamax, but I don't think we have any working player left. Also we have lots of cassette tapes (for which I have a working player), and I do remember that era and the transition to CDs; CDs were already widespread before I was born but my parents' car around 2000 had only a cassette player and didn't read CDs. I remember that they also bought a cassette-shaped thing that had a cable that could connect to an iPod. Also I recently found a cassette tape attached to one of my elementary school books from 2006, it is likely the most recent cassette tape I have.

About newer stuff whose time has now passed, I still predominantly use a dedicated music-only iPod when I commute by train. Although I do use streaming services, but only at home.

Years
    • Seen today
    By the time I got to using computers, CDs were the predominant storage medium and people were moving away from floppies because of their smaller size capabilities. However, I do have floppy disks and a reader because of some older computers I have hanging around the house, one of which I installed MS-DOS onto but only had upgrade floppy images. I also have an absolute load of records, cassette tapes, and VHS tapes around, as well as devices to play all of them, and they all work and are maintained well. I'm no stranger to older hardware at all, in fact, I enjoy it a lot.

Years
  • The joys of being a millennial: watching all this technology change so quickly during my childhood and teenage years.

Besides the obvious floppy discs and VHS tapes, I'm so old I remember when Mom got a CD player and that was new, fancy tech... and even then we still used cassette tapes for awhile past that. mainly to record songs off the radio

My grandparents had an old Apple computer -- idk which model -- that had the *big* floppy discs. It was already outdated when my siblings and I played with it. But it was still a little fun!

Back