• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What’s an EV? I’m new to pokemon gaming and I might get into competitive

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2019
    So I'm starting Heartgold as my first Pokemon game on an emulator. I'm thinking of raising my pokemons as best as possible because I might play in competitive. I did some research to create a concept team(just below)both in-game and in competitive. Of course, I'm open for suggestions and changes for my team. Most importantly, I just registered on the forums to ask what's an EV? I had a hard time understanding what it is. I want to know how to raise it and what are the most appropriate EV values when training your pokemons. That would help me in competitive in pokemon games from generations other than gen 4 too. Lastly, I have yet to decide which items to give to my pokemons but helping me on choosing the best items would be appreciated.

Feraligatr
    Trait: Torrent
    Adamant Nature(+Atk -SpAtk)

-Waterfall
    -Ice Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch/Dragon Claw

Ampharos
    Trait: Static
    Modest Nature(+SpAtk -Atk)

-Thunderbolt
    -Thunder Wave
    -Signal Beam
    -Focus Blast

Houndoom
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature(+Speed -Atk)

-Flamethrower
    -Dark Pulse
    -Sunny Day
    -Solar Beam

Espeon
    Trait: Synchronize
    Timid Nature(+Speed -Atk)

-Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Signal Beam
    -Calm Mind

Heracross
    Trait: Guts
    Jolly Nature(+Speed -SpAtk)

-Stone Edge
    -Night Slash
    -Close Combat
    -Megahorn

Dragonite
    Trait: Inner Focus
    Jolly Nature(+Speed -SpAtk)

-Fly
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Dance/Roost(Not sure about this one)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So I'm starting Heartgold as my first Pokemon game on an emulator. I'm thinking of raising my pokemons as best as possible because I might play in competitive. I did some research to create a concept team(just below)both in-game and in competitive. Of course, I'm open for suggestions and changes for my team. Most importantly, I just registered on the forums to ask what's an EV? I had a hard time understanding what it is. I want to know how to raise it and what are the most appropriate EV values when training your pokemons. That would help me in competitive in pokemon games from generations other than gen 4 too. Lastly, I have yet to decide which items to give to my pokemons but helping me on choosing the best items would be appreciated.

Spoiler:
    To try to explain EVs:
    Whenever a Pokemon defeats another Pokemon in battle and gains Exp. or undergoes Super Training, it also gains Effort Values. EVs affect your Pokemon's stats. A Pokemon can have a maximum of 252 EVs in a single stat, and a maximum of 508 overall. The math is that every 4 EVs=+1 to that stat (at level 100). Before Generation V, a Pokemon would get the benefit of its EVs upon leveling up (so you could potentially get +64 to a stat in a single level up), but from Gen V onward it was changed to alter the growth rate instead, so more EVs in a stat means the stat grows more with each level up than if there were no or less EVs. It still gives the same result in the end either way. Leveling up to gain the benefit of EVs is no longer required, so even level 100 Pokemon can be EV trained. EVs are part of the reason why your Pokemon tend to be stronger than other Pokemon of the same species of the same level encountered in the wild or used by NPC trainers.

Building teams for both in-game play and competitive is often difficult given that each requires different things, so you'll likely need to create two separate teams.

EV training in the games basically consists of equipping the Pokemon you're training with the appropriate Power item and battling a common Pokemon that gives the EVs you need. In Gen 6 you have the option to also EV train via Super Training, and in Gen 7 via PokePelago's Isle Evelup. As for what EV spreads to go with for each Pokemon, basic 252/252/4 spreads work for a lot of things, and a good rule of thumb is to EV train a Pokemon's strengths rather than patch up their weaknesses (this is not always the case though). If you look around, various places with information on battling (such as Smogon) will often list sample sets to give you ideas on things to use. People here can give you sets/set advice too.

In the case of the team you posted, Feraligatr, Dragonite, and Heracross can all make use of a 252 Atk/252 Speed spread, while Espeon and Houndoom can roll with 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed. Not necessarily the only EV spreads to use, but they'll certainly work for them and are easier to train for when you're just starting out.

Back