• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] How do you extend scripts to edit the dialogue?

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2021
    Okay, so, I don't really give a flying Feraligator if this is a stupid question, but how do I extend the scripts so I can actually see and edit the dialogue? Neither XSE or pksvui do that, it's just condensed. Should I just delete the condensed dialogue and write it all out again or is there actually a way to expand it? And please don't just call me an idiot or link me to a tutorial. If a tutorial had the information I wouldn't be here.

Years
  • The text-strings should be in full at the bottom of the scripts (with the /n /p /l stuff, but you can convert new text to text-strings in XSE)

As for extending the dialogue you will have to copy-paste the existing script, paste it in a new script, change all static offsets to dynamic offsets, edit the text strings, compile it, take note of the new offset and change the offset in amap, thus repointing the script to the extended one.

You can safely remove the old script in a hex editor if you want to free up space.

Easier yet might be to just use one of the several existing text editors, some of them automatically repoint extended texts.

Hope this helps

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2021
    The text-strings should be in full at the bottom of the scripts (with the /n /p /l stuff, but you can convert new text to text-strings in XSE)

As for extending the dialogue you will have to copy-paste the existing script, paste it in a new script, change all static offsets to dynamic offsets, edit the text strings, compile it, take note of the new offset and change the offset in amap, thus repointing the script to the extended one.

You can safely remove the old script in a hex editor if you want to free up space.

Easier yet might be to just use one of the several existing text editors, some of them automatically repoint extended texts.

Hope this helps

I meant extend like see what they say, which, the bottom, I'm dumb. But what? I have to do some crazy stuff to edit dialogue? And what do you mean by the "static to dynamic". I suck at this stuff. Tutorials are useless. And the only text editor I know of is Atext and it's just garbage. Plus it changes the dialogue for any version of that ROM apparently. I have no idea how to use hex editors and I'm not dealing with that.

Years

• Changing the text in XSE is not difficult, but if you want the text to be longer then the original one you'll have to do some nasty stuff (repointing etc) in what case you'll probably have to follow a tutorial (Diego's scripting tutorial is actually quite good)

There is a new text editor in the make, as part of the dumb pokemon editor tool (that's the actual name, look it up in the tools section), which will be better than atext, but there is no public release as of now.

So, if you don't want to mess around repointing stuff, you'll have to use atext, or edit the text in xse (while making sure the text isn't longer than the original text!)

I meant extend like see what they say, which, the bottom, I'm dumb. But what? I have to do some crazy stuff to edit dialogue? And what do you mean by the "static to dynamic". I suck at this stuff. Tutorials are useless. And the only text editor I know of is Atext and it's just garbage. Plus it changes the dialogue for any version of that ROM apparently. I have no idea how to use hex editors and I'm not dealing with that.

This may be super obvious, and forgive me if this sounds condescending but this is the only thing I can think is causing your issue, but are you scrolling all the way to the bottom of the script when you decompile? That is where the movements and text are. If it cuts off, there is a horizontal scroll bar that you can manipulate to see the rest of it.

To be more clear, the message content is not on the line with the msgbox command:
    Code:
    msgbox 0x8214AB6 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"SCOTT: Oh, what's that?\pIt's a ST..."
    That is not where text is added. Scroll down, and if it cuts off scroll horizontally. The whole text will look something like this:
    Code:
    #org 0x214AB6
    = SCOTT: Oh, what's that?\pIt's a STONE BADGE, isn't it?\nThat's pretty impressive, I'd say.\pBut, you know, I would've loved to see\nyou in battle.\pIt's hard to tell what you're like as\na TRAINER from a LEAGUE BADGE.
    You edit the text after the equals sign.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2021
    This may be super obvious, and forgive me if this sounds condescending but this is the only thing I can think is causing your issue, but are you scrolling all the way to the bottom of the script when you decompile? That is where the movements and text are. If it cuts off, there is a horizontal scroll bar that you can manipulate to see the rest of it.

To be more clear, the message content is not on the line with the msgbox command:
    Code:
    msgbox 0x8214AB6 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"SCOTT: Oh, what's that?\pIt's a ST..."
    That is not where text is added. Scroll down, and if it cuts off scroll horizontally. The whole text will look something like this:
    Code:
    #org 0x214AB6
    = SCOTT: Oh, what's that?\pIt's a STONE BADGE, isn't it?\nThat's pretty impressive, I'd say.\pBut, you know, I would've loved to see\nyou in battle.\pIt's hard to tell what you're like as\na TRAINER from a LEAGUE BADGE.
    You edit the text after the equals sign.

You literally just explained to me how to scroll down and what's there on a reply to me saying that I know about the bottom.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2021
    Changing the text in XSE is not difficult, but if you want the text to be longer then the original one you'll have to do some nasty stuff (repointing etc) in what case you'll probably have to follow a tutorial (Diego's scripting tutorial is actually quite good)

There is a new text editor in the make, as part of the dumb pokemon editor tool (that's the actual name, look it up in the tools section), which will be better than atext, but there is no public release as of now.

So, if you don't want to mess around repointing stuff, you'll have to use atext, or edit the text in xse (while making sure the text isn't longer than the original text!)

I have watched and read a lot of tutorials and none of them have ever said you need to repoint. I've always just re-written it and it was fine.

CaptainDumbChester

The Dumbest Person ever.
    Years
  • I have watched and read a lot of tutorials and none of them have ever said you need to repoint. I've always just re-written it and it was fine.

Actually if you decompile a old script , you really need to repoint it , SInce it might overwrite something if you don't, You can easily do this by , using #dynamic again and relabeling all #orgs again.

CaptainDumbChester

The Dumbest Person ever.
    Years
  • I have watched and read a lot of tutorials and none of them have ever said you need to repoint. I've always just re-written it and it was fine.

Actually if you decompile a old script , you really need to repoint it if you want the text to be longer, SInce it might overwrite something if you don't, You can easily do this by , using #dynamic again and relabeling all #orgs again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2021
    Actually if you decompile a old script , you really need to repoint it if you want the text to be longer, SInce it might overwrite something if you don't, You can easily do this by , using #dynamic again and relabeling all #orgs again.

Are you talking about more than just creating a new script offset for the changed script?

Back