• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen PKMN Yellow Team

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
  • I am starting Pokemon Yellow for the first time (I beat Red), and This is what I want my team to look like-
    Pikachu (Starter)
    Charizard
    Blastoise/Tauros
    Nidoking/A good attacker
    Lapras (where do I get him?)
    Dragonite (Where the HECK do I fing him?)
    (A post-game spot for Mewtwo, but for now, any good in-game pokemon will do)

I really need help deciding. BTW, I need to keep Pikachu and Charizard, as it is some kind of weird tradition I have. But, the rest can be changed or something. I was just looking through Bulbapedia, and I looked through to find that the Legendary Birds, Arcanine, Nintales, Gyrados, and whenever possible, Cloyster, have very good stats. So I was wondering how I could add some of these. Cloyster seems to have a BST(Base-Stat-Total) of 480, so I'm kind of inclined towards him.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I am starting Pokemon Yellow for the first time (I beat Red), and This is what I want my team to look like-
    Pikachu (Starter)
    Charizard
    Blastoise/Tauros
    Nidoking/A good attacker
    Lapras (where do I get him?)
    Dragonite (Where the HECK do I fing him?)
    (A post-game spot for Mewtwo, but for now, any good in-game pokemon will do)

I really need help deciding. BTW, I need to keep Pikachu and Charizard, as it is some kind of weird tradition I have. But, the rest can be changed or something. I was just looking through Bulbapedia, and I looked through to find that the Legendary Birds, Arcanine, Nintales, Gyrados, and whenever possible, Cloyster, have very good stats. So I was wondering how I could add some of these. Cloyster seems to have a BST(Base-Stat-Total) of 480, so I'm kind of inclined towards him.
    I always kept Charizard for tradition too, but a good bird or Arcanine or Ninetales is probably more useful tbh O: Birbs can handle fighting types (you seem to lack a psychic type on your team pre-Mewtwo) as well as grass.

Lapras is a gift pok?mon you get in Silph Co in Saffron after you beat your rival.

Dratini can be found in lakes in Safari Zone, by surfing or fishing with Super Rod I thiiiiink. Then grind grind until that Dragonite ;)

Blastoise is probably good but Lapras more useful I suppose. And I always liked Nidoking because it had STAB Earthquake :D and was all around pretty good. Just watch out for psychic types and water types.

Also I usually ditched Pikachu and went with Jolteon instead tbh... Haha. You'll find Eevee if you sneak around Celadon City for a while - enter a building from the backside and go up all the stairs to get Eevee as a gift.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • oh thanks. but when should i start the nidoking thing? I could get a nidoran male from viridian city, but should i just get a nidorino from the safari zone like I did in red? Also, i'll just stick with charizard, because as i said, tradition. but what kind of flying type moves does he learn?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • oh thanks. but when should i start the nidoking thing? I could get a nidoran male from viridian city, but should i just get a nidorino from the safari zone like I did in red? Also, i'll just stick with charizard, because as i said, tradition. but what kind of flying type moves does he learn?

I've had Pokemon Yellow for roughly 20 years now and Nidoran is a solid early game choice for Brock since it learns Double Kick at level 12. Other options are Mankey(Low Kick at level 9) or getting a Butterfree for its Confusion and Status moves. Pikachu is a solid option for Misty but its possible to get Bulbasaur before you face her. For Lt.Surge, Sandshrew or Diglett are fine options. Any Fire or Flying type against Erica works wonders. Same deal for Koga. For Sabrina, simply overpower her with strong attacks(like Dig or Earthquake) or attacks that crit often(like Slash). Can also go with a Bug type like Parasect or a Psychic type with non-STAB moves(like Hypno Headbutt). Water/Ground types rule the day on Blaine and for the final Gym, Ground owns everything he has(with Psychic, Grass and Water as solid options).

Pikachu is a decent end-game option despite not being able to evolve(especially because it learns Thunderbolt naturally at 26) but if you want an idea as to what Eevee should evolve into, Jolteon is arguably its best Generation 1 form due to the fact you get Pin Missile(Bug type move). You get Eevee at level 25 and Jolteon doesn't know any Electric attacks should you evolve it right away and doesn't learn any until level 52 and Thunder. Hence the TM24(Thunderbolt) is recommended should you do this. It learns Pin Missile at level 36 and Thunder Wave at level 42.

For Grass types, I honestly find Bulbasaur to be the best and its hard to argue against it. The fact you get it relatively early(Cerulean) and around the same time you get Oddish and Bellsprout means you have options if you opt to not to go with it.

For Fire types, Charmander is acquired for free but I always had a soft spot for Vulpix(acquired at level 18 from Rocket Game Corner in Celadon). Charizard does gain Flying Type so the Fly HM would have STAB, hence that would be an upside for this dual-type Pokemon(just makes him vulnerable to Ice and Electric Attacks but immune to Ground moves(something that other Fire types lack)). Charizard does not learn any Flying moves so all Flying moves must be taught.

With regards to Water types, Squirtle is acquired after Vermilion Gym and hence is the earliest Water Type you can get. However, Lapras is arguably the best one to have due to its Type 2: Ice and naturally learning Ice Beam. Makes it perfect for Lance end-game and you acquire Lapras before Seel at Seafoam Islands.

I always have a Ground Type in my group since your rival will have Jolteon Saffron City onward if you win your first two battles. Diglett makes sense from a speed standpoint but I love Sandshrew and his raw power despite not learning any STAB moves naturally. I do not recommend NidoKing for this role because in Generation 1, Pin Missile does x2 Damage to Poison types(which Nidoran and its final evolved form happens to have). You'll want Onix, Geodude or a pure Ground type like Diglett or Sandshrew in this situation.

For a Psychic type, you get Abra or Drowzee around mid-game(Vermilion area), although its not necessary to be successful. Ground moves own Ghost Pokemon because they're part Poison, hence Bug Type moves are also effective. For Bug Types, Paras is really your only option unless you manage to get your hands on a Weedle somehow. Finally there is only one Ghost type(Ghastly and its evolved forms) and Dragon type(Dratini and its evolved forms). Ghosts are found in Lavender Town while Dratini is found in Safari Zone(fish with Super Rod).

Therefore for a Final Team, I typically have the following:

Electric type: Pikachu/Jolteon <- For Lorelai primarily, with a Fire Type to melt Jynx.
    Fire type: Charizard/Ninetales <- If Charizard, also gain Flying type hence can handle Bruno Fighting types, else Ninetales for ideal matchups
    Water type: Blastoise/Lapras <- Primarily for Surfing and Ice Type moves. Personal preference choice here
    Ground type: Sandslash <- Owns Agatha Ghost's and Bruno's Rock Pokemon
    Grass type: Venausaur <- Backup for Lorelai, Bruno and can handle Gyrados on Lance.
    Flex pick: If you go with a pure Fire type, you'll want a Flying type for Bruno and for flying around). If Charizard is your option at Fire, then anything is possible: Parasect/Beedril(Bug), Hypno/Alakazam/Mew/Mewtwo(Psychic) or Dragonite(Dragon). Heck you could do Snorlax(too bad there's no pulverizing pancake).

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • thanks. i think this will be my final team-
    Jolteon(becuase everybody said he's better)
    Charizard (for the dual typing and flying)
    Lapras
    Sandslash/Dugtrio(4 speed)
    Snorlax
    Dragonite(can u give me a good movepool)
    I dont mind grinding, but is it really hard to obtain a dragonite? because dratini grows really slowly. and in the end, is dragonite good? And also, is tauros a good option? because i heard his attack and speed make him a deadly foe

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • thanks. i think this will be my final team-
    Jolteon(becuase everybody said he's better)
    Charizard (for the dual typing and flying)
    Lapras
    Sandslash/Dugtrio(4 speed)
    Snorlax
    Dragonite(can u give me a good movepool)
    I dont mind grinding, but is it really hard to obtain a dragonite? because dratini grows really slowly. and in the end, is dragonite good? And also, is tauros a good option? because i heard his attack and speed make him a deadly foe

Jolteon is a solid choice because he owns Water, Flying and to a lesser degree Psychic thanks to Pin Missile(just lack the STAB). Charizard in a dual purpose role owns Fighting(with Fly), Grass, Bug and Ice types. Lapras covers Fire, Rock, Ground, Flying and Dragon. Sandslash covers Electric, Poison, Rock, and Fire(and Ghost since they're Poison). If I'm not mistaken, that covers everything but Normal types which the Elite 4 does not possess and you don't face all that often(and everything owns, especially Fighting but none more so than Ghost because they're immune to repercussion).

What makes Snorlax great is the high HP and raw power it possesses, including Hyper Beam that it learns naturally but don't expect to Attack first due to its slow speed(it can also learn a wide variety of moves via TM). Tauros is a Normal type like Snorlax and although it's natural moveset sucks(Stomp is it's only decent STAB move imo), its speed is superior and has a wide arrange of moves it can learn by TM(like Snorlax). If you want to sacrifice a bit of power and defense for some speed, Tauros is a surprisingly good option. Dragonite takes awhile to train from a Dratini but it's oh so worth it. Dragonite gains the Flying type, hence Fly has STAB. A good move set for Dragonite would be Hyper Beam, Fly, Thunder and Fire Blast. Remember Water and Ice types typically counter Dragons so your move set should reflect that.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • i really prefer 100% accuracy vs. 110 power, since thunderbolt has 90, so its almost the same. can you get a second t-bolt tm? and finally, in your guys' honest opinion, snorlox or tauros?
    because i like moving first, and at the same time hitting HARD

Well... I opted for Thunder on Dragonite because you'd be teaching Jolteon Thunderbolt. The reason why is because Jolteon doesn't learn any Electric moves until level 42 with Thunder Wave and level 52 with Thunder. Unless you go and do a Ditto Glitch catch(wherein you learn Thundershock at level 16 if it doesn't know it already from the start), teaching it Thunderbolt seems to be the most prudent move so that you can level it up. While I can understand the reluctance to use Thunder, its the only other TM you'll have and you don't get any other TM24's or TM25's(you only get one respectively).

As for Tauros and Snorlax question, each Pokemon has 540 stats that are distributed between HP, Attack, Defense, Speed and Special(broken down by Attack and Defense as well). Of that 540, Snorlax has 30 into Speed while Tauros has it at 110. Snorlax has a much stronger Special Attack and Defense while Tauros has a slightly stronger Physical Attack and Defense(with that far superior Speed). Its just Snorlax has a crap load of HP lol.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Well... I opted for Thunder on Dragonite because you'd be teaching Jolteon Thunderbolt. The reason why is because Jolteon doesn't learn any Electric moves until level 42 with Thunder Wave and level 52 with Thunder. Unless you go and do a Ditto Glitch catch(wherein you learn Thundershock at level 16 if it doesn't know it already from the start), teaching it Thunderbolt seems to be the most prudent move so that you can level it up. While I can understand the reluctance to use Thunder, its the only other TM you'll have and you don't get any other TM24's or TM25's(you only get one respectively).

As for Tauros and Snorlax question, each Pokemon has 540 stats that are distributed between HP, Attack, Defense, Speed and Special(broken down by Attack and Defense as well). Of that 540, Snorlax has 30 into Speed while Tauros has it at 110. Snorlax has a much stronger Special Attack and Defense while Tauros has a slightly stronger Physical Attack and Defense(with that far superior Speed). Its just Snorlax has a crap load of HP lol.

okay thanks. i think i'll go with tauros. also, does thunder hit most of the time in red and blue? because it seems to me that low accuracy moves usually hit. pikachu's 'Slam' move has a 70 accuracy, but seemed to hit the opponent all the time. is this the same case with fire blast and thunder?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • okay thanks. i think i'll go with tauros. also, does thunder hit most of the time in red and blue? because it seems to me that low accuracy moves usually hit. pikachu's 'Slam' move has a 70 accuracy, but seemed to hit the opponent all the time. is this the same case with fire blast and thunder?

Accuracy is shall we say... a falsehood. It may display 100% but its not truly 100%. Namely, there is a chance(albeit a small one) for the move to miss. The only move that never misses is Swift. So while the value says 70 in Slam's case, it just means that on 100 attacks, it will land, on average, 70 times(before any Accuracy status changes are taken into account). Thunder is basically the ultimate Electric attack in the game, rivaling Fire Blast and Hydro Pump(Solarbeam is slightly stronger but takes 2 turns) in terms of power but slightly less accurate than those two moves.

All comes down to personal preference and what opponent you're facing. If you're facing someone who loves using Sand Attack, Flash or moves that drastically lower your Accuracy, then moves like Thunder wouldn't be advised. I still would go with it though. Dragonite is arguably the 3rd strongest Pokemon in the game behind Mew and Mewtwo(the two legendary Psychic types) and hence its moveset should reflect that. Every time I see a Dragonite, moves that comes to mind are Hyper Beam, Thunder or Fire Blast(too bad you can't teach it Flamethrower hah!).

Back