• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon World] So I'm writing this Compendium. It's...a lot.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    I have no words to describe how insane I feel for trying to do this in one lifetime, but here I go.

So, a while back I really got into Pokémon fanfiction and wanted to write my own. Like, it was consuming my mind, I wanted to write something so badly. But I ran into a roadblock of sorts, and I admit I stumbled over it. What to write about? I didn't want to rehash the quintessential 'pokémon journey', and I didn't feel like writing a romance. I adore Red/Green stories, but I didn't want to write my own. So I was stuck.

Also, I mused to myself, how does the pokémon world really work? We get to see it from the POV of a child wandering through the world in pursuit of 'being the very best'. Okay, but what about the rest of the world? There are glimpses of it in the Ranger games, but nothing concrete. I got sucked into pinterest at this point, and found a bunch of really cute things that could reasonably belong in the pokémon world...like plant pots. So many adorable plant pots and knitted dolls, pillows, bags, etc.

And then. I found them. Realistic Pokémon and Pokémon Variations. I'd seen both before, but they had never hit me quite like they did at that moment. Because I saw them, and my mind went, "What if..." and I was lost.

So here I am, a couple months later, over 10,000 words written for something I've been calling the Pokémon Compendium.

Basically, *scrubs at hair nervously* and forgive me if I ramble a bit, I have taken Pokémon Variations to the medium of written word. I've started at the beginning, with Bulbasaur, and I've acted as though 'Bulbasaur' - or 'fushigidane', as I've taken to calling them, as though the Japanese names are Latin words - is a genus. And each genus has different species within.

*muffled shriek* I've written over 10,000 words for 3/5 species of Bulbasaur, and I have over 800 Pokémon to go through from here.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    The Pokémon Compendium

This book was made to educate the interested in the wide array of creatures in our world known as pokémon, and should be held as a work in progress, as we're always finding out more about these incredible creatures. Whether you're researching for science, a school project, or looking at getting a pokémon yourself, always keep in mind that every single pokémon is unique just as humans are unique and there are exceptions to every rule as nature itself is unpredictable and prone to evolution.
    ______

*A Serious Note to Prospective Trainers: Above all else, if you can't handle the responsibility, don't get the pokémon! Never forget that a pokémon is not an animal – they are complex, consciously aware creatures who have conscious thought, social structures, adaptive reasoning, and intense feelings of their own – they are not toys with which to amuse ourselves or a spur of the moment decision. Poor treatment of your pokémon can quickly result in prison time and hefty fines, just as poor treatment of a fellow human would, and ignorance and a language barrier does not equal innocence, especially where living, breathing creatures are involved. If you don't have the time, means, and energy to devote to years, possibly decades, of living with and caring for an intelligent creature like a pokémon, get a dog or a fish instead and leave the pokémon in the wild.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Hiya! First off, welcome to the forums! While Pokemon encyclopedias isn't new, I'm okay with you posting this under the Pokemon World tag since this seems more appropriate for that than the Pokemon Fanficiton tag that's more reserved for prose work.

With that said, you mentioned you have a few entries written already. I want to first off apologize for approving one of the posts late (this forum tend to screen posts from new users as spam on occasion lol ). Second, while posts under the Pokemon World tag have different rules under the Pokemon Fanfiction tag, that introduction post doesn't exactly have that much substance yet. I'm totally okay with you posting one entry of your compendium right now so I and other readers get a feel of your writing style for those entries.

I'll still leave this thread open for now since I'm curious what kind of entries you'll come up with. Otherwise, I wish you luck on this!

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    #001 Bulbasaur (Fushigidane bulba.)

The fushigidane are typically small, with a wide range of both personalities, diets, habitats, and appearances. According to records, the it was the forest species that first appeared in Pokémon Research in the Kantō region though our information is limited by the destruction of the earliest human civilizations and what data they might have had. Whatever legends or previous evolutions there might have been in the past have been forever lost with those civilisations, though archaeologists are unearthing new things all the time.

On its back is a green plant bulb, which is sprouts from a seed that the mother's bulb implants into the egg before laying, growing with the embryo as it develops, though how exactly this symbiotic relationship between plant and pokémon began is a mystery.

The bulb provides it with energy through photosynthesis as well as from the nutrient-rich seeds contained within, acting in the same way a numel's hump might and able to keep its host healthy for over a week without food or water. Dissection of dead subjects has revealed that the vines, or 'roots' or the bulb are implanted throughout the pokémon's body, from its back to its brain, to the reproductive and circulatory systems. It doesn't appear to harm it, and speculation suggests that it's a very symbiotic relationship where both host and bulb are made stronger for it.

There are 5 main species of fushigidane and at least 30 subspecies that we know of. As to the different species themselves, below is a an updated record of the information we have for each, though we must always be aware that there is forever more to learn – such is the nature and joy of science.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    Hiya! First off, welcome to the forums! While Pokemon encyclopedias isn't new, I'm okay with you posting this under the Pokemon World tag since this seems more appropriate for that than the Pokemon Fanficiton tag that's more reserved for prose work.

With that said, you mentioned you have a few entries written already. I want to first off apologize for approving one of the posts late (this forum tend to screen posts from new users as spam on occasion lol ). Second, while posts under the Pokemon World tag have different rules under the Pokemon Fanfiction tag, that introduction post doesn't exactly have that much substance yet. I'm totally okay with you posting one entry of your compendium right now so I and other readers get a feel of your writing style for those entries.

I'll still leave this thread open for now since I'm curious what kind of entries you'll come up with. Otherwise, I wish you luck on this!

Ah, sorry, that's the foreword of the Compendium! It's the only part I knew I was totally happy with, at least enough to post. Thank you, I'm gonna need it!

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    Full Description in Link, as I felt it lost a lot once I put it into the plain text of this box.

Attachments

• #001.1.docx
      28.2 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Hi again! So I'm going to have to put my mod hat here for a moment. Per the rules of this section, you have to post your writing, whether prose or similar. I'm willing to allow you to keep that attachment, but I highly recommend you editing that post, or the one with some of Bulbasuar's entry, with the full text of the first entry. Sorry if I'm being strict, but I feel it would be unfair for you the only one to keep that attachment. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Back