• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What did I miss out on?

Years
From around 2005-07, as a kid really into to Pokemon and played Ruby, Fire Red, and Diamond. I lost my interest for around 10 years but when Sun/Moon came out, it rekindled my love for Pokemon and I have since played X, Omega Ruby, and Sun.

Over this time, I realized that I've played every generation (region) of Pokemon games except for Johto and Unova, and Johto will be coming to the VC later this year. My question to use guys is basically whether it's worth picking up a copy of Black/White Black2/White2 to experience Unova. Am I missing out on a lot by not playing the Unova region of games. I have heard that the region and story were fantastic, but for the most part he Pokemon were not.

I'm asking now because I can still buy new copies of Black2/White2 as they are still being sold on Amazon and such, and I don't think it will stay like that for long. I can't find any new Black/White games. Would it be worth it to buy one of them? What's the general attitude as to how good the games were?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ok I am like #1 fan of Johto and Unova - so bias response definitely grab them all.

Non-bias response? It's worth getting one copy of Black or White and one copy of B2 or W2. Storyline wise it's a lot harder to follow without having BW first, so maybe consider a used copy? People tend to dislike Black and White because you don't get older Pokemon until post game (but on the other hand the story is INCREDIBLE + characters + there's some real stand out Pokemon there)...

But then B2W2. It is one of the most loved games - it enhances BW's story, adds the Pokemon World Tournament (where you get to face characters from older games) and adds in older Pokemon from the start. Overall it IS one of the most popular third (well sequel) versions.

This thread here might help: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=395526

(It has lots of Gen 5 opinions!)

But I definitely think it is worth getting both. Also Diamond/Pearl is considered one of the worst games due to playability (not Platinum though) so if you loved Diamond you will definitely love BW (and absolutely love B2W2).

Also when you ARE playing through the Johto and Unova games make sure you post a bunch in Gen 2 and Gen 5 forums ok? :)

Years
Ok I am like #1 fan of Johto and Unova - so bias response definitely grab them all.

Non-bias response? It's worth getting one copy of Black or White and one copy of B2 or W2. Storyline wise it's a lot harder to follow without having BW first, so maybe consider a used copy? People tend to dislike Black and White because you don't get older Pokemon until post game (but on the other hand the story is INCREDIBLE + characters + there's some real stand out Pokemon there)...

But then B2W2. It is one of the most loved games - it enhances BW's story, adds the Pokemon World Tournament (where you get to face characters from older games) and adds in older Pokemon from the start. Overall it IS one of the most popular third (well sequel) versions.

This thread here might help: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=395526

(It has lots of Gen 5 opinions!)

But I definitely think it is worth getting both. Also Diamond/Pearl is considered one of the worst games due to playability (not Platinum though) so if you loved Diamond you will definitely love BW (and absolutely love B2W2).

Also when you ARE playing through the Johto and Unova games make sure you post a bunch in Gen 2 and Gen 5 forums ok? :)

I think you've sold me on Unova lol. I'll have to look for used versions of BW, I haven't been able to find them new anywhere. I think I'll probably choose the game based on which legendary I like more (Rehsiram). I think that would mean Black and Black 2. I'll for sure post my adventure stories when I finally arrive in Unova.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I'm going to bite the bullet and give you a slightly more negative review, simply for the sake of diversity of opinion. Disclaimer: I quite like White 2 in particular, and like Unova more than I once did. I acknowledge my negative bias and will strive to be constructive in giving a less positive evaluation. Johto, however, is brilliant, an assessment which comes primarily from nostalgia.

You really didn't miss all that much, in my opinion. The thing about Unova is that it feels, in many ways, less lively, in my opinion - it attempts to be modern and contemporary to an extreme, and aesthetic that I found out of place within the franchise. This, however, also bleeds into the characters and plot of the games, which is probably a lot more important than how a few cities and locations look, right?

The Unova generation tries harder than any other to be deep, to carry some sort of significant message; a lot of the relevant philosophical dialogue is delivered through the catalytic signature character of the generation, N, in the first two games, and the message extends to the sequels (side note: despite B2W2 being sequels, they can be played independently of BW). The main question seems to be: what is a human's relationship with a Pokemon, and to what end are they tools or companions?

The problem that a lot of people have with this - not everyone, but certainly a sizeable portion of the fandom - is that at times the game can be preachy or overbearing, and tries harder than it needs to in order to be more plot-driven than generations before it. Some people really, really like it, and I gather that it's for the sake of it actually even trying to have a plot, since some other generations are bare-bones at best. Some people actually quite like the plot, and disagree with me entirely, and that's fine. However, just know that not everyone agrees that its story is the best thing we had pre-2016. It's not a very black and white debate, if you'll excuse the pun.

To compare it to other regions, Kanto and Johto didn't really have much of a plot, but that worked for them - the simplicity and minimalism still made sense, and there was at least a little conflict. Team Plasma actually seems like an overwritten Team Rocket sometimes, with similar practices and goals and bosses. Hoenn had a decent amount of plot, I thought, and took it up to eleven in Gen 6 with the inclusion of deeper lore and the Delta Episode. Sinnoh is where things started to get more serious and more plot driven, and Unova expanded on that, but took it a tad further than I would have liked. Kalos... well, it had a plot, but... well, we all know about Team Flare and Lysandre by now. And to conclude the comparisons section, I'm one of those people who really loved Sun and Moon for their story.

The other major thing to consider in a more critical analysis of the generation is, of course, the Pokedex. The species introduced in the fifth generation are, collectively, more controversial within the fandom than those of any other; some are quite widely panned, like Garbodor; others are rather well liked, like Braviary or Solosis. Many just fall into an odd middle ground, with plenty of people who love them and plenty who really, really don't. I personally wasn't a fan of the generation at all - while it had a few species that I absolutely loved, chief among them Volcarona, it had a ton that I absolutely hated and would never use. When I finally decided to do a Unova-species-only run of White 2, it was honestly quite difficult to create a well-balanced team with six different fully evolved species I actually liked. Some regions, particularly Kalos, made this incredibly easy for me and had countless selections I loved; Unova has a hard time keeping up with most of the other regions in this regard, and might actually fall behind all of the rest.

What I will say is that, while I honestly have no motivation to ever play Black or White again, Black 2 and White 2 are games that are really, really good, and worthy of the series. I would play them, at least, if I were you. They expand the Unova region and introduce some really cool characters and locations, and their plot seems to me less contrived. All four games have a seasons mechanic, which I adore simply for having a chance to play a Pokemon game in the Fall in-game. N, while preachy and a little much, has a phenomenal amount of characerization for this series, and is right up there with Cynthia as one of the most impressive characters in the franchise. Unova was a generation I honestly didn't like all that much in the end, compared to others - but I still think every main series game is worth playing if you get a chance, these included. I guess in the end I'm not being all that negative, am I?

If you choose to pick up a copy I hope you enjoy it!

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
Can I add something?

You know what more great about Gen 5?

EXCLUSIVE GAMES!
I'm serious.Unlike any other gen where exclusive games only different Pokemon & Legendary (Except Gen 3.Wich the different is Evil Team).Gen 5 has a big different each Exclusive game.In Black/Black 2 the atmosphere more Futuric, while in White/White 2 the atmosphere more past-looking.Not only that, you must choose are you in ideal team or truth team.And the Gym leader in the first game is different too!

So you must choose:
Are you an ideal team or truth team?
Are you someone who seeking past or Future?

Also, you not miss anything.Unova is for who wanna experience like the first journey in old time.

Years
I think you've sold me on Unova lol. I'll have to look for used versions of BW, I haven't been able to find them new anywhere. I think I'll probably choose the game based on which legendary I like more (Rehsiram). I think that would mean Black and Black 2. I'll for sure post my adventure stories when I finally arrive in Unova.

I was prompted to write this after seeing that you are a Reshiram admirer like myself. I also made the decision to buy Black based on the beautiful white dragon on the cover art, and have no regrets. If you are sure that you want to receive a Reshiram in both games then your best bet is to get Black version and then buy White 2. I say White 2 because the legendaries change places in the sequels if I'm not mistaken. Reshiram in Black means Zekrom in Black 2.

There is a really good video by poketuber CandyEevee going through all of the version exclusive differences between black/white and black 2/white 2 that can help you make sure that you get the vesion with all of the pokemon youwant. I think I'm allowed to post this link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-GPjhhUXYNc

I'm really glad that you are going to give Unova a try, its an all time favorite region for me. Unova is a good region in particular for older players (like me) and those who have taken a hiatus from Pokemon for because it offers an intricate plot that many other regions do not have, use of social commentary and satire and exploration of mythology-- the legends and history of the pokemon universe are a central part of the story in Black/White and begin advancing the plot fairly early on. I also think Unova has really powerful musical arrangements that bring the characters and atmosphere to life, particular the drums for Ghetsis theme in the original Black and White. N's room is also one of the most whimsical but sad tunes you will hear. I could go on for pages just about the battles themes of Unova from Colress to Iris, the list goes on.

As soon as the opening titles of Black/White play, whisking us away to a mysterious ritual and coronation in a castle, it is clear from the more cinematic style that this is going to be a very different game than any that came before it, and I think it is true to the dramatic narrative structure you see in the opening.

Though rotqaion and triple battles are no longer new this was the game that introduced several new formats, and another reason I think the game is better for experienced players. Not to reveal the exciting climax to the story... but it concludes the game with one of the most challenging battles of the main series in my opinion with back to back battles-- no time to heal or reorder the party, against complete teams that include pseudo legendaries (after fighting off a team with actual legendaries) and Pokemon with literally no weaknesses due to unique typings and abilities.

I have to give it to the original Black and White over the sequels because of the size of the role for N, this is the really likeable character that holds the story together. But you should definitely play both the part 1 and 2.

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Black and White are not really games for everyone. If you prefer the simplicity of older generations, then the story might be a bit much for you. The Pokémon designs are very different and they don't always feel like Pokémon, but that's personal preference. However, if it's not too expensive, I would pick it up just to experience the 2.5D of these games. IMO, Gen V is the pinnacle of 2.5D Pokémon and I don't think it could have been done better. I still find myself impressed by how beautiful this region is, and it's definitely why I would recommend you to check any of these games out. You might not miss out on the region by skipping this generation, but you would definitely miss out on how great this game looks and how fresh it feels.

If you do end up playing it, come around here more often. :D

EDIT: How could I forget mentioning the music? Gen V has one of the best collections of OSTs, mainly because of its very nice soundfont. These OSTs are also very largely integrated in the scenery and situation, creating a more vivid experience. Of course, if you play with sound off most of the time, that's redundant.

Back