• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Right Beside You (PMD: GtI fic)

Ashygirl

Ash is my bae!
Years
  • I do not own Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Just a little something I thought up. This stars my PMD GtI team! I wrote this story a couple years back so feel free to point out any mistakes, and I'll try to fix them ASAP.

It was a crystal clear night. The stars that dotted the navy-blue sky were perfectly visible, not a cloud in sight. At this hour most pokemon in Post Town were nuzzled in their beds fast asleep, but one pokemon was awake to marvel at this gorgeous scene. A lone Oshawott was sitting on the hill watching the stars twinkle in the night sky. The sea otter pokemon loved it up here. The view was absolutely breathtaking. To think that it would've been lost forever if he and his partner hadn't destroyed the Bittercold. Well in all fairness the credit really goes to his partner alone seeing as he was the only one who could even get close enough to the Bittercold in order to destroy it as he was in fact a human transformed into a pokemon, so the negative feelings the Bittercold fed on hardly affected him at all. All the young Oshawott could do was stay back struggling to breathe.

It's been just over two months now since he went to the Worldcore to make his wish, and now his partner is able to freely travel between the Human world and the Pokemon world. Though strangely from what the Sea Otter could recall his partner never used this power, not even once. The Oshawott asked his partner about this, but he always said that he preferred it here, and that his family aren't worried. At first the Oshawott believed him, but in hindsight, something seemed....forced about this statement. In fact, his partner hasn't been the same since coming back. The Oshawott sighed and lied down on the grass, not taking his eyes off the starry sky.

Jade....what's wrong with you? He wondered sadly for about the fiftieth time that day.

The young pokemon remembered it like it was yesterday. He had witnessed his partner, a Snivy just....fall from the sky one day, on his way to meet Quagsire about buying some land in order to create Paradise. The Oshawott had dashed to where he fell, and all though a bit dazed the Snivy was miraculously unharmed for the most part. The Oshawott thought that the Grass Snake Pokemon might have suffered from some sort of head trauma at first, seeing as he seemed surprised that The Sea Otter could talk. The Snivy then introduced himself as Jade and made the shocking revelation that he was in fact human. The Oshawott was so intrigued by this pokemon that he ended up being late for the meeting. However with Jade's help the duo managed to get to the meeting place before Quagsire gave up and went home. Jade even agreed to help the Oshawott build Paradise. The young pokemon asked Jade if he would like to give him a nickname. Jade thought about it for a moment and said:

"You kind of look like a Ludwig to me."

Ludwig actually wasn't sure why he made that request any more, but he wasn't about to take it back now. He liked the name Jade had given him. He enjoyed building Paradise with Jade bit by bit, and enjoyed being a part of The Believers, along with Emolga, Dunsparce, Virizion, Umbreon, Espeon and a fair few other pokemon which they had recruited over time.

Jade was.....special though. Not the romantic kind of special....but a different kind. Ludwig couldn't quite put his paw on it though.

Ever since the day they met Ludwig knew Jade as a warm-hearted pokemon, probably the kindest pokemon he's ever met, and their weren't many of those at the time. Then again, Jade was originally human. Jade was always smiling and always willing and able to help a pokemon who needed it. He was also very forgiving. Though he did have a tendency to not think before speaking. Ludwig couldn't count how many times Jade earned a knock to the head by Gurdurr every time he let something thoughtless slip. Ludwig smiled at the memories. Jade always felt so bad if he offended someone and would apologise endlessly. That's what Ludwig loved most about his partner. Jade never went out of his way to hurt anyone.

But since coming back from the human world, he just wasn't that Jade anymore. Sure he still smiled, but that smile always seemed forced, as if something was bothering him, and whenever Jade thought no one was looking he just looked so.....depressed. Everyone, Ludwig included had asked if there was anything wrong, but Jade kept insisting that he was fine, fake smile and all. It was as if his best friend hadn't come back at all. Only his shell came back. Ludwig was really starting to worry. He was scared...scared that he was losing his precious partner again. Scared that he hadn't even found him again to begin with.

"Ludwig?"

The Oshawott immediately shot up, startled by the sudden voice behind him, snapping him out of his thoughts. He hadn't expected anyone to be out and about at this late hour. He turned around to see Emolga standing near the steps rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"What in the world are you doing out here at this time of night?" he asked with a yawn.

Ludwig gave Emolga a smirk.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Dunsparce is snoring again." said Emolga simply. "Thought I'd go for a walk til he quietens down a bit"

Ludwig laughed. How such a young Pokemon (The youngest on the team) could snore so loudly was beyond him.

"I think I can guess why you're out here." said Emolga his voice now filled with sympathy. "You're still worried about Jade right.?"

Ludwig's smile faded slightly.

"What gave it away?"

Emolga sat next to him.

"Well he's all you think about now." he said with a laugh. "Come on Ludwig, Jade keeps telling us he's fine. Can't you just take his word for it?"

"But that's the thing!" cried Ludwig. "He is NOT fine! He's just saying he is! I can tell! He just doesn't have that same....spark you know."

"Look I'm worried too." Emolga admitted. "But we can't keep pushing him. All we can do right now is be there for him, and once he's ready to talk to us we'll listen, okay? Sound like a plan?"

Ludwig lowered his head.

"I'm more than worried. I'm.....I'm scared. Jade is scaring me, Emolga."

Emolga seemed surprised by this.

"What do you mean?"

Ludwig remained silent, afraid that if he tried to speak again he would just burst into tears. He heard Emolga sigh and stand up, obviously getting that Ludwig wasn't gonna answer him.

"Okay, fine. Don't tell me" he said in fake annoyance. "But, hey you really should head back home and try to get some sleep, because I won't tolerate yawning when we're building Paradise, you hear?"

Ludwig let out a little laugh.

"Yeah okay, see you tomorrow."

"Same to you." said Emolga then he went down the hill, leaving the Oshawott alone once more. Ludwig sighed. He stood up and made his way back to Paradise. He glanced at the currently empty facilities. Everyone was obviously in bed now. There was an empty space next to Gurdurr's shop right where Victini's V-wheel used to be. Since the V-wave season ended around a month ago, Victini packed up and went back to where ever he hung out when the V-waves stopped. Ludwig kind of missed him and his constant "V-WHEEEEEEEL!!!"s. He hoped Victini would come back again next year.

Ludwig finally made it back to his small house. He went inside and sat on his bed. The Sea Otter glanced at the slender green form, fast asleep on the bed next to him. Another thing that worried Ludwig was that Jade often seemed pained in his sleep. He certainly hasn't been sleeping soundly recently. Ludwig sighed sadly and lied down to try and get at least a few hours sleep, but couldn't stop glancing at his partner.

Jade....I want to help you. Please let me help you.

To be continued.

I know it's uncommon, heck almost unheard of, for a male to be named Jade, but look at Tales of the Abyss. Not the greatest example, but it's all I have XD. (Plus, it could be short for Jaden ;) ) (No offense intended to any guys named Jade reading this.

Years
  • Okay um I didn't play Gates to Infinity but I'll give this a shot anyway if that's okay with you.

He had witnessed his partner, a Snivy just....fall from the sky one day, on his way to meet Quagsire about buying some land in order to create Paradise. The Oshawott had dashed to where he fell, and all though a bit dazed the Snivy was miraculously unharmed for the most part.
    Like, a fall-fall? The Oshawott didn't see the Snivy get slowed with any psychic powers or something? Then that had to hurt.
    The young pokemon asked Jade if he would like to give him a nickname.
    I know this is Mystery Dungeon but I gotta say this. He apparently had been going as just Oshawott for a while, so why ask a stranger to give him a nickname now?
    Ever since the day they met Ludwig knew Jade as a warm-hearted pokemon, probably the kindest pokemon he's ever met, and their weren't many of those at the time. Then again, Jade was originally human.
    Does one's species decide their propensity for empathy?

Story-wise, I can't say much because it's just the first chapter and you're taking things slow - nothing's wrong with that though. Be careful with writing this though that it doesn't relate so much to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, I just want to say. Okay, on from that, you spoon-fed a lot of detail about Jade in Ludwig's reminiscing, and I know you mentioned him speaking impetuously sometimes but I don't see many bad qualities for Jade right off the bat. And conversely, there wasn't much detail on Ludwig other than what I gathered from the little character interaction. But like I said, it's the first chapter, so I just gotta see where this goes.

Back